Rundstedt Sends His Best - a CMFB Comic AAR

I wanted to thank IanL for being my Guinea pig opponent in this battle. He's a tough one to beat as I've experienced multiple times since we started playing some time ago. More important was his collaborative spirit and his patience. Sometimes almost a week would pass before I could send him a turn back because I was in the midst of processing countless screenshots and organizing them and so on. 

Thanks, Ian! :)

Absolutely BRILLIANT Bud_B. And equally to IanL for providing the 'canvas' on which to create your art. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

3631573+_515ebe7506e79345139003bc1e0f457

I have most thoroughly enjoyed this story, and your ability to leave us, your addicted and riveted audience, breathless and hanging at the end of each panel, is astounding!

56204219.jpg

Not to mention the after-action ending panels are also superb, and a very nice wrap up/post-story.

Now, what the hell am I going to look forward to after lunch each day at work???  :(:rolleyes:

PS I am certain that we will ALL be very interested in IanL's screens of the damage to each SturmTiger..

Oh, and have BF got the feedback about the unlikeliness of proximity shell's being assigned to the Sherman (or whichever tank it was)??

Edited by gnarly

Absolutely BRILLIANT Bud_B. And equally to IanL for providing the 'canvas' on which to create your art. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have most thoroughly enjoyed this story, and your ability to leave us, your addicted and riveted audience, breathless and hanging at the end of each panel, is astounding!

Not to mention the after-action ending panels are also superb, and a very nice wrap up/post-story.

Thank you, gnarly! I appreciate that very much. I very much had similar experiences, reading VERY eagerly other people's AARs, with my morning coffee at work! :D

Now, what the hell am I going to look forward to after lunch each day at work???  :(:rolleyes:

Well, if I may suggest.. a tale of steel and grit! Or try any of the others below! 

PS I am certain that we will ALL be very interested in IanL's screens of the damage to each SturmTiger..

Yes, I requested that from him, I'm sure you all would like to see the mess I made of them ;) 

Sadly, not enough of a mess. When I lamented some time ago that I could not touch the SturmTiger's frontally with a Sherman 105, Baneman advised me that he had success with HEAT - but I didn't. It's something I'd have known, I suppose, had I used them before  but by then it didn't matter too much, I was low on HEAT and conserving it. Must be just at the cusp of scuff the paint/burn a hole through... 

Oh, and have BF got the feedback about the unlikeliness of proximity shell's being assigned to the Sherman (or whichever tank it was)??

Yes, it's been noted internally. :)

Brilliantly composed and interesting pictures, great storytelling, and not to forget a great game from BFC. I often eagerly awaited the continuation of the story. Thank you Bud and Ian.

Best wishes for your wife, Bud.

Edited by hank24

Some more thoughts about this CAAR and CAARs in general:

Rundstedt really is an AAR in comic format. La Ferme Dupont was as well. You've all enjoyed Classic AARs such as Bil and his opponents have posted, with detailed play-by-plays. I've done the same (perhaps in even greater detail because it is also meant to be an instructional opportunity) in my Red Lightning AAR. Rundstedt follows to a greater degree that style, more explanation of the whole battlefield, than a story. It took some effort to actually bring to life the story in my battle with IanL, to imbue it with characters that you might like, or dislike. But nonetheless, it is an AAR. You are getting descriptions of almost every shot fired, everywhere on the map. Every movement by a unit is covered. A true story would not bother with, say, the movement of the M16 crew from foxholes to a wall, because they are out of the action and theoretically no longer relevant. 

Somebody's Hero was a bit different, the most story like of the CAARs, because the entire focus was on Dmitry Ivanov. All other events in the entire battle were subordinated and in fact only shown because they impacted the main character. Apache takes a middle of the road approach between an AAR and a story, giving an overview of the whole battle, but presenting most things from the perspective of Apache's gunner and crew. 

I have some new ideas for what I'd like to do next, once Apache is completed, but I'm curious what you guys think about all this.

Brilliantly composed and interesting pictures, great storytelling, and not to forget a great game from BFC. I often eagerly awaited the continuation of the story. Thank you Bud and Ian.

Thank you. It was a lot of work but it was fun work to do! 

Best wishes for your wife, Bud.

Thank you. Things are looking encouraging there too as her treatment continues.

Thanks Bud for these two months of entertainment, besides the awesome visuals you guys had a very interesting game to watch too.

Cheers!

Excellent comic all the way.

Great nailbiter too.

You know, people say I was leaving them with cliffhangers, (I was... :P ) but that's nothing compared to the agony of wondering if the next minute I was going to get blasted to bits by those SturmTigers, or have some Panthers show up and prevent me using my armour the way I did. Every turn until minute 24 (6 remaining) had me quaking in fear, especially after the intial encounter on the ridge. 

Some figures:

On the ridge, I lost two squads of infantry, and an MMG team. The enemy lost 3 men. Granted none of my squads were at full complement; these are stragglers after all, but still, I lost about 20+ men to Ian's 3! I was blown away by the short and medium range firepower of the German infantry. This is not CMBN...

So if you think I left you hanging...every turn I sent back had me hanging until I received Ian's reply. I spent 60% of the game thinking I'm doomed, and 20% hoping that my strategy for defence of Liefrange would be prickly enough to stop him. Only 20% of the game was I confident that barring a huge turnabout, I would win. 

Makes for a tense game, but that is the best kind - where it's not decided in the opening moves.