Rundstedt Sends His Best - a CMFB Comic AAR

Bud,

Holy Moley, I was working my way through your excellent CAAR over on the CMFI forum and had no idea all this was going on.  :o

I accidentally discovered the CMFB site and then found this amazing CAAR going on already.  I had to catch up. 

This CAAR is amazing.  Your atmospheric set-up for the scenario is one of your best.  Yes, everyone already said it, but I had to say it again.  This is one heck of a way of showcasing this upcoming game. I especially liked the shot with the building that had lights in the windows.  Yes, I know that isn't in the game, but it was a powerful mood enhancer for the storyline. 

Very nicely done.  The tension is growing incrementally.  Can't wait for more.

Oh yes, a little fire discipline would have been good for the guys in the building.  This probably won't work out well for the lads behind the hedge.  If they survive, they'll be looking to "talk" with the jerk who cracked off that early round.

Heinrich505 

My dear Heinrich,

I'm glad you're enjoying Apache in the CMFI thread. I have more to add to that story, so don't take the axis surrender as the final moment. kohlenklau has done a great job of giving me something to do as the Canadians leave the beach.

I sometimes wonder if I spend too much time on the situational and atmospheric set up, the back story, etc, so I'm delighted to hear your feedback. The lights at night were just something I felt was missing if I didn't put them in when I wrote about a worried Lieutenant sitting by the radio keeping watch on his men. :)

Fire discipline....grrrrrr  all my units have covered arcs. It's tricky to set them at a range that will cover all situations. I wanted a bit longer range on the MG but must have set it too much to the side, underestimating how long it would take for the ambush team to be in position. 

That´s good news. I already liked to use CMBN (low) bocage to thicken up forest interiors or the edges, as well as getting some variations mixed with hedges enclosing gardens. From the screenshots I´ve seen so far, it seems we´ll see a number of foliage additions as well? :)

All the AARs you're reading now are set in snow conditions, so you are not even seeing the autumn foliage to full effect. Autumn trees and natural surrounding are showing the best representation of the season I've seen ever in a game. Your mileage may vary of course. 

Who ist der dummkopf in der house??? I'll bet his commander wishes he'd put a covered arc on him. ;)

More. This is a page turner in serious need of new pages!

The commander gave him specific instructions. The bigger didn't listen. And paid the ultimate price. Along with eight other people. 

We're all just lovin' our 2nd childhood Bud. Thanks! :D

Comic books? Makes me want to jump on my banana seat bike and peddle without a stinkin' helmet the 2 miles to the 7-11 and buy a slurpee and some "now or laters"...

Hey imagine the movie that could be made of this if we were Marvel, making films out of every comic ever printed! 

Lt Lawrence needs a good actor... :D

And we need two special dudes for Lang and Tanner...

Edited by Bud_B

The commander gave him specific instructions. The bugger didn't listen. And paid the ultimate price. Along with eight other people. 

I was just about to say "Ooh, spoiler !" when you posted the above page which shows the beginning of the failed ambush.

Those are the breaks :(

Edited by Baneman

I just want to say that the volume of fire and accuracy of these German proto-Kalashnikovs (MP44) is shocking. Nothing less than shocking. I recall Bil discussing in his Bocage AAR how U.S. Forces are dangerous at close range due to their semi auto rifles, and Germans are better at a distance with their 98ks and MG42s. No more. The Germans are devastating at any range now. 

I was just about to say "Ooh, spoiler !" when you posted the above page which shows the beginning of the failed ambush.

Those are the breaks :(

You're right, I shouldn't have said that. I've spent so many hours working on the panels that show what happens that to me it's history and to readers it ain't happened yet. Argh! Sorry about that! 

All the AARs you're reading now are set in snow conditions, so you are not even seeing the autumn foliage to full effect. Autumn trees and natural surrounding are showing the best representation of the season I've seen ever in a game. Your mileage may vary of course. 

I keep my confidence that everything will be good to start with. :)

I got all my old (c. early 1970's) war comics up in the attic still!

Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos.

The Haunted Tank.

Sgt Rock of Easy Company

The Losers

The Unknown Soldier

Weird War Tales  (...?)

My brain starts drawing a blank after that.  Better go up in the attic and check...

<BFC should contact a printer and run off some hard copies of your CAAR's Bud! I'd buy it. Even without the schwimmwagen...>

Edited by kohlenklau

I've never been that into comics, but this... this is really well done. Thanks for your efforts. These set the mood for the new game in a way that not much else probably could. Can't wait to get my hands on this new title. 

Right, my work is done here! ;)

More seriously, thank you very much for this; it made me day. So exciting that a medium you're not into still captures your imagination. Terrific!