Rundstedt Sends His Best - a CMFB Comic AAR

Ok, I suppose I'm a champion lurker. I've collected all the CM games from the beginning and have often looked around the forum but never felt compelled to post anything. Bud has changed that. I had to sign up just to tell him how fantastic his creation is. It must be one of the best advertisements for the CM series there is and I can't wait for FB release. My only grouse is that sooner or later this AAR is going to have to end. Back to lurking now.

They are nice, but kind of thought the point of this thread was to be a CAAR.  :P

It is also still a bit small.

The size was a problem, I agree. In his Cool AAR Bil made a Gif that is much larger than mine. When I made something that size it was about 43 Mb. I think he cut things in such a way that you get the action but not nearly as long a run-time as mine, and the image quality is not as high, but because he is up close you get all the detail anyway. I need to make more to refine my technique. :)

Thought it was fine. If it is not too much trouble, injecting one now and then when the action justifies would be nice. :)

Thank you, that's my thought as well, though I might do them primarily in a conventional AAR.

Didn't notice it first time through. Had to go back and search for it, so I guess it didn't make much of an impression on this reader.

:mellow:

Michael 

No worries, I tried to be subtle and not overdo it, so I can see how it might be missed. 

This I did notice and thought it was cool :)

Great! 

I didn't comment because I thought it was just one more example of how you are steadily improving as you do this.

Haha! Well sometimes one isn't sure if an idea is an improvement or simply self-delusion, so believe me your comments are welcome. :)

l loved them both! An animated gif for a rare "special moment" is great. But it's the CAAR I'm here for..

Thank you, I'm delighted the CAAR appeals to so many. 

I certainly did notice the slow-mo :  I relish the pics and the story so much that I study each frame for ages before moving on to prolong the enjoyment. When I first saw the comic style for an AAR I wasn't convinced I'd like that approach - but your storytelling is so gripping I'm completely hooked!

Wow! It's exciting to hear someone looking at the panels in more detail, because there are often a lot of small things in each frame that are easily overlooked, like men or vehicles in the distance, etc. That's great to hear! 

Each of these CAARs is an attempt to make it more and more like a story - and less like a conventional AAR. I wanted to get readers at least a little interested in the selected characters I feature, rather than only the outcome of the battle. 

So much so that I'm compelled to stop lurking momentarily yet again to say so.

----------------------

Knotso silent 

The effort you make to do so make it all the more appreciated. Thank you. 

Edited by Bud_B

With the other AAR done, this is what keeps me coming back during my early morning coffee (that and constant checking for the game's release :) ) Thanks! Looks like those German behemoths are just pillboxes now and the German infantry look like arcade ducks. This is what happens when one piecemeals an assault.

:lol: I hope you had a nice cup of java as I just posted 6 panels! 

I can't be totally certain of course but there is no logical reason for IanL not to be using their main weapons. I can't imagine it's a trap because he is so concerned about tricking my armor into exposing itself. 

However, I think it might be unkind to call this a piecemeal assault - storming into town with his units too prematurely would have been risky - the closer he is to me the more powerful my weapons and the more numerous as bazookas can finally get in the show. I probably would also have bombarded the heck out of the town were I in his shoes. 

The real rub here is that I didn't have a clue he had two of these until the late middle of the game, 2/3 in. And so had no notion that I disabled one. FOW in this game is just such a great experience enhancer...and a bi**h. :D

Ok, I suppose I'm a champion lurker. I've collected all the CM games from the beginning and have often looked around the forum but never felt compelled to post anything. Bud has changed that. I had to sign up just to tell him how fantastic his creation is. It must be one of the best advertisements for the CM series there is and I can't wait for FB release. My only grouse is that sooner or later this AAR is going to have to end. Back to lurking now.

Welcome to the forums; nice first post! :)

It is especially rewarding to get a comment from someone like you - if someone can be bothered to register just to say "thanks" it's really a big deal, so thank you very much! 

Unfortunately this comic will end, but there are two completed others, and Apache has a second half to it that I will be posting once this one is done. :)

Edited by Bud_B

geordietaf,

Welcome (officially) aboard! You may represent the gold standard of lurking. Or did! Am sure you've loved the games and BFC your monetary infusions.

Knotso,

Welcome aboard!

Good eye spotting the man hit and in the act of falling to the ground.

Bud_B,

After looking at the last few panel sets, it's become quite clear to me why period pics of SdKfz 251 attacks in the west that failed invariably have the dead beasties very close to one another. I strongly suspect you've got F-Kill on both Sturmtigers, which is why they haven't fired again. Locations of projectiles strikes certainly support my argument.  Lucky you! I find your handling of armor pretty impressive of late, and using dismounted eyeballs previously to pass target locations is classic. Like Knotso, I noticed the man falling, and if you go back to my MG fight vs SLIM, I've got several such instances in my screen caps. I think the game looks very good, but I wish it had variable weather and other goodies we've long sought. Permeability of wooden houses to MG fire is a strong argument for the ability to have loopholes and fighting prone. too much presented area. I speak from experience here, having taken similar lumps in my previously mentioned battle vs SLIM. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Braka Braka Braka, indeed!  Good one's for @SLIM!  Wonderful CAAR.  Well managed battle.  More kudos pending.  Thank you Bud_B!  Hope your wife grows well.

haha! Yeah, I hope @SLIM see it. He really needed some Brakka! :D

I'm delighted you're enjoying the comic! My wife continues treatment and is doing well, thank you. :)

After looking at the last few panel sets, it's become quite clear to me why period pics of SdKfz 251 attacks in the west that failed invariably have the dead beasties very close to one another. I strongly suspect you've got F-Kill on both Sturmtigers, which is why they haven't fired again. Locations of projectiles strikes certainly support my argument.  Lucky you! I find your handling of armor pretty impressive of late, and using dismounted eyeballs previously to pass target locations is classic. Like Knotso, I noticed the man falling, and if you go back to my MG fight vs SLIM, I've got several such instances in my screen caps. I think the game looks very good, but I wish it had variable weather and other goodies we've long sought. Permeability of wooden houses to MG fire is a strong argument for the ability to have loopholes and fighting prone. too much presented area. I speak from experience here, having taken similar lumps in my previously mentioned battle vs SLIM. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Hey, John,

Yeah, the SturmTigers being de-fanged, so to speak, is a huge relief. I'll let Lt. Blanchard tell you about what he intends now that it's pretty much certain. ;)

My armour handling is something I had a fair practice in my last game with Ian, which was a desperate affair!