Rundstedt Sends His Best - a CMFB Comic AAR

It's not often that one gets official recognition for one's hobby. I started making these comics as single page panels just for fun to express frustration at my own mistakes in CMBN in a game at The Few Good Men. To my surprise they were well received, and ended up with the assistance of Kohlenklau what became Battle for La Ferme Dupont. A second comic, then a third, followed and I found as my experience grew, the challenges did not diminish; I kept discovering new techniques, perspectives and things I wanted to try. 

Which brings us to Combat Mission Final Blitzkrieg. This one puts me to the test - because it's meant to show just how good this game is - while still in Beta. It only gets better from here. Fortunately, I have an experienced player, IanL, to challenge me and to give suggestions and ideas to make this an even better experience.. I hope you enjoy. Comments as always are most welcome. 

A final word: the images are much better when seen large. Click on them as you go. You'll miss details otherwise. ;)

Edited by Bud_B

Excellent introduction @Bud_B! I love how you have the snow storm slowly covering the landscape.  I will not be reading the comic until the end but @Bud_B suggested I at least say hello before things get going.  My chosen forces will have some new gear to show off but I'm not saying what it is.  You guys will see it when @Bud_B's comic characters do :).  So, sit back and enjoy the comic and I'll fade into the background and let my pixel troops do the talking from now on.

Edited by IanL

OK Bud, you said look for details so I "assume" this will be in CMFB:

• New background sound in windy conditions
  • Weather changing during battle and the accumulation of snow on the ground
  • Topographical overlay in editor (yay!)
  • Pixeltruppen can start battles with a "yellow" trench foot injury/partial casualty

Please verify ;)

I'll keep my eyes peeled for more to come.

Nice way to introduce the new game.

PS Since you're into comic books, have you read Wayne Vansant's Bulge book?

Hehe I expected something much more tame for the title of the game, I am pleasantly surprised by "Final Blitzkrieg!" its got a good ring to it!

Final Blitzkrieg does sound pretty good, doesn't it? I like that BFC were able to be more imaginative than simply calling it Bulge

• Pixeltruppen can start battles with a "yellow" trench foot injury/partial casualty

Please verify ;)

None of these things are in the game, they are just part of Bud's story.

Please verify ;)

I'll keep my eyes peeled for more to come.

Nice way to introduce the new game.

PS Since you're into comic books, have you read Wayne Vansant's Bulge book?

I especially like the idea of trench foot! Haha! 

Chris is of course correct, there are things that I've done to make a comic that aren't in the game. You won't have windy text, and given wartime blackouts, there is no need  to show lights! ;)

I didn't read Wayne's Bulge book, but I have both parts (and am waiting for his third) Katusha books. They are terrific! 

Edited by Bud_B

Beautiful effort, Bud :-)

One question. On the last vignette above I see some windows lit up... does this mean that light sources have been made into the engine?

No, the lights were a way to illustrate the location of the Lieutenant's command post without pasting a label on it. :) Plus they look rather Christmasy, don't you think? 

Edited by Bud_B