CM Final Blitzkrieg - ALLIED (Defense) BETA Battle Report

Bil, this was an excellent example of über effective battle command: get into the enemy commander's head, devise the most disrupting plan and wait for an advantageous situation to develop and fall in your lap. This may look like luck to some, but it isn't, your course of action was designed to cause some trouble to Baneman, the uncertainty was in the specific kind of trouble you would create :)

Edited by BletchleyGeek

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bil,

Funny summary! Such rapier wit is easier to take with a belly full of pizza, topped of with TJ's Josephbrau Heferweizen, Apt, wouldn't you say? And what else is similarly earthy? Why, homemade pumpkin pie! 

Of US TDs, M18s had the lowest losses of the war, but that doesn't mean you have to accumulate them all yourself in one QB! Feel chastised and upbraided now? Speaking of Hellcats, you'd better hope that 251/17 doesn't spot and shoot your M18s, since it would pierce them effortlessly, the armor being good against .30 API, maybe, but certainly ball. 

Having now read the thread in its entirety, I have to say that you did a thorough analysis of the combat task and configured your force accordingly, a luxury low level commanders seldom get. Speaking of force configuration, what is the evidence, if any of the sort of mixed AFV platoons you have? Also, if these weren't available via normal selection, did you buy them individually? My eyes weren't up to reading the fine print of the force selection tables. As usual, your tactical discussion (combined with various exclamations and expletives, as applicable) is clear and cogent, greatly aided by your tactical graphics.(insert piercingly loud lament here about longstanding need for BFC to put in topo and GCM overlays in CM). As ever, I find your rigorous approach scary and I fear for Baneman, first blood or no. Germans in greatcoats plodding through snow is quite historical. See, for example, Audie Murphy at Holtzwihr holding off a Regiment. 

From what I've seen of them, the CMFB greatcoats are too dark and too olive.

German officer's greatcoat.

http://www.paradeantiques.co.uk/images/wwii-german-army-infantry-officers-great-coat-01_01.jpg

Infantryman's greatcoats

http://www.war44.com/showthread.php?t=1234

Real M36 greatcoat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69UVckBLgFE

It is always a pleasure to read your  invariably excellent and much appreciated BARs/DARs/AARs. That said, only all of Baneman's side, most of the comic book version and the rest of that Forum remain. Time for pie!

Regards,

John Kettler

John Kettler (welcome back btw. :) ), I wouldn´t be that sure about the german greatcoats as with all that whites of snowy landscapes, the high contrast levels might make GC´s (and uniforms generally) look darker and slightly differently colored than they are. I also can´t evaluate wet and soaken uniforms shades, but I´d suspect color and shades to be darker than dry and dusty ones. I´m sure there´s somebody here with some practical experiences, maybe some reenactor having used WW2 uniforms not just in dry summer days. Otherwise, it´s quite hard to find color pics from WW2 who give some indications.

I just tried it in cmbn, I bailed out a reg tank crew and a hq tank crew, could not get the hq tank crew to go in the reg tank

oh so its a bug limited to Humber crews?

Assault Squadron HQ that comes in a Humber vehicle can dismount and enter a bailed AVRE and crew it. And by crew I mean - drive shoot and command etc. not just take up the engineers slot. I haven't tested it on any other allied or German formations so it might be applicable in only this specific situation.  I just stumbled across it when the Vehicle pack was released.   Sorry Bil for interrupting your thread with this.

HQSquadron2.jpgHQSquadron1.jpg

Bil, this was an excellent example of über effective battle command: get into the enemy commander's head, devise the most disrupting plan and wait for an advantageous situation to develop and fall in your lap. This may look like luck to some, but it isn't, your course of action was designed to cause some trouble to Baneman, the uncertainty was in the specific kind of trouble you would create :)

Thanks Miquel.  

Having now read the thread in its entirety, I have to say that you did a thorough analysis of the combat task and configured your force accordingly, a luxury low level commanders seldom get. Speaking of force configuration, what is the evidence, if any of the sort of mixed AFV platoons you have? Also, if these weren't available via normal selection, did you buy them individually? 

John, yes I bought the Hellcats as individual vehicles, they are subordinate to the Recon Platoon HQ... the two mixed tank platoons are Sherman base whittled down to two Shermans and with two M36s added to each, the Jumbo in command of each Platoon.

Obviously there is no historical justification for this task organization: 

• it is what I thought would be best suited for the problem presented
  • I thought it would be best able to deal with a potential heavy German tank force (which it does not look like Baneman purchased)
  • it was a good way to highlight some of the new US equipment, namely the Jumbo and the M36.. Bud is showing off the Chaffee light tank in his thread, so I didn't feel the need to have it in mine.

I am hoping Baneman returns the next file to me soon, so we can get back on track with this thread.  ;) he should be recovered from his shock by now.. don't you think?

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

Assault Squadron HQ that comes in a Humber vehicle can dismount and enter a bailed AVRE and crew it. And by crew I mean - drive shoot and command etc. not just take up the engineers slot. I haven't tested it on any other allied or German formations so it might be applicable in only this specific situation.  I just stumbled across it when the Vehicle pack was released.   Sorry Bil for interrupting your thread with this.

HQSquadron2.jpgHQSquadron1.jpg

AVRE is treated as an APC (or technically an AEFV), not a tank, because it was both an assualt tank and a carrier for an engineer team.

AVRE is treated as an APC (or technically an AEFV), not a tank, because it was both an assualt tank and a carrier for an engineer team.

Yes and No - if you use other HQ crews/crews/teams they'll go in the Engineer passenger slots in an empty bailed AVRE - in this case with the Humber III mounted Squadron HQ they can jump into the still warm abandoned seats of the usual AVRE crew after they've bailed and the vehicle will continue to be combat effective.  Wether this is a rare design decision or a bug I dunno.  Last I'll say on it as it distracts from Bil's thread - but if anyone want to start a spin of thread in CMBN feel free.

Any chance you guys can take this tank-crew discussion to another thread?  I'd appreciate it.

In an attempt to get back on topic:

With going on three days from the last file... I have been giving this a lot of thought.  There are a few wild cards in play right now:.

• JagdTiger - I know it is on the left side (from my perspective) of the L Shaped Wood, but where exactly I don't know for sure.  It could be back closer to the woods, or it could be getting ready to crest Hellcat Ridge... either way, that beast is going to have a long reload time, so even if he uncloaks in the midst of my forward armor, I should still have plenty left at turn end to react to it, and if it does come over the ridge it'll be taking a lot of fire, so I expect the tactical AI could make it withdraw... still, any movement over the lip of the ridge would most likely be unsupported (by other armor).. which would play into my hands.  
  • Panther-1 - last known location was very close actually to where Panther-2 was knocked out.. and I don't see why that would have changed. I doubt, with the loss of Panther-2 that he'll be rushing that tank into my line of fire.. so I doubt I'll see it next turn.
  • Any unsighted/unknown Panthers - those that I suspect could be present are an unknown quantity.. does he have all of the remaining three from the Panther Platoon that I suspect he purchased?  If so then they could become a major problem and if he started to use them aggressively they would be tough to counter.  First priority (well, first priority after killing the JT that is  ;) ) is to locate them and get a count of how many he has on the field.  There have been no sightings of another Panther, other than the fire prior to his assault on Cobru several turns ago.. if that was a tank and not another Stummel, then it could be at least one and is probably two Panthers.  
  • My M36s - are back in overwatch positions.. waiting for him to cross the major ridge that separates his forces from the rest of the map.  They can deal with the Panther threat I am confident. 
  • Jumbos - how will these perform in a duel against his Panther(s)?  I am very curious to find out.. it'll be my first encounter with them against Panthers so taking a round or two would be interesting to watch.  

Sorry.. just musing out loud while I wait Baneman's response to last turn.  ;) 

Any chance you guys can take this tank-crew discussion to another thread?  I'd appreciate it.

With going on three days from the last file... I have been giving this a lot of thought.  There are a few wild cards in play right now:.

• JagdTiger - I know it is on the left side (from my perspective) of the L Shaped Wood, but where exactly I don't know for sure.  It could be back closer to the woods, or it could be getting ready to crest Hellcat Ridge... either way, that beast is going to have a long reload time, so even if he uncloaks in the midst of my forward armor, I should still have plenty left at turn end to react to it, and if it does come over the ridge it'll be taking a lot of fire, so I expect the tactical AI could make it withdraw... still, any movement over the lip of the ridge would most likely be unsupported (by other armor).. which plays into my hands.  
  • Panther-1 - last known location was very close actually to where Panther-2 was knocked out.. and I don't see why that would have changed. I doubt, with the loss of Panther-2 that he'll be rushing that tank into my line of fire.. so I doubt I'll see it next turn.
  • Any unsighted/unknown Panthers - those that I suspect could be present are an unknown quantity.. does he have all three from the Panther Platoon I suspect he purchased?  If so then they could become a major problem and if he started to use them aggressively they would be tough to counter.  First priority is to locate them and get a count of how many he has on the field.  There have been no sightings of another Panther, other than the fire prior to his assault on Cobru several turns ago.. if that was a tank and not another Stummel, then it could be at least one and is probably two Panthers.  
  • My M36s - are back in overwatch positions.. waiting for him to cross the major ridge that separates his forces from the rest of the map.  They can deal with the Panther threat I am confident. 
  • Jumbos - how will these perform in a duel against his Panther(s)?  I am very curious to find out.. it'll be my first encounter with them against Panthers so taking a round or two would be interesting to watch.  

Sorry.. just musing out loud while I wait Baneman's response to last turn.  ;) 

I wonder at what range can the Panthers penetrate the front armour of the Jumbo? And if the Jumbo or the Panther have the advantage at longer distances...

• Any unsighted/unknown Panthers -... fire prior to his assault on Cobru several turns ago.. if that was a tank and not another Stummel, then it could be at least one and is probably two Panthers.  

Can you not tell from the gun report whether it was a high velocity 75, or the low velocity Stummel gun?

Well, judging from the one-shot, one-kill you posted, I'd say the E2 Sherman has done better than expected. Hopefully you can spot and kill Baneman's tanks without having to take too much incoming fire.

Do you have a plan for dealing with the JagdTiger?

I'm fairly certain even the 90mm gun won't get through the front of that monster, judging by the demonstration ChrisND did on his live stream.

Can you not tell from the gun report whether it was a high velocity 75, or the low velocity Stummel gun?

I think it sounded like high velocity.. but it's been several turns and I might be mis-remembering.

Do you have a plan for dealing with the JagdTiger?

Sure i do, it has something to do with garlic, a wooden stake and  holy water...  ;)

These games should be like chess where you have a timer and a maximum amount of time between all of the combined turns.  3 days for a critical turn is OK if you return 10 or so other turns quickly.  

Christmas and New Year is always going to be tough lots to eat and drink and family time too...

The weekend is nearly upon us so maybe a turn soon...