CM Final Blitzkrieg - ALLIED (Defense) BETA Battle Report

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OCOKA TERRAIN ANALYSIS - PART 2

KEY TERRAIN - the Key Terrain identified for this battle are the areas that will have either longish lines of sight or good lateral visibility.  I will examine each in turn, but this map shows the Key Terrain for this fight:  Note I only identified the Key Terrain up to the Recogne line, if I get pushed back farther than this then I will have some serious problems that will require some additional analysis.

Many of these positions will be turned into Battle Positions.

KeyTerrain.PNG

KEY TERRAIN 1:  this small hill very close to where the German force will be entering the battle space has terrific lateral visibility and I expect it to be one of the first objectives for my opponent to attempt to capture.

KT-01-View.png

KEY TERRAIN 2:  central location with good lateral visibility.

KT-02-View.png

KEY TERRAIN 3:  from the edge of Cobru there is a spot with good visibility over the center of the map.

KT-03-View.png

KEY TERRAIN 4:  another central location with good visibility over the center of the AO.

KT-04-View.png

KEY TERRAIN 5:  a large ridge providing some of the best long range lines of sight in the AO.

KT-05-View.png

KEY TERRAIN 6:  another high ridge providing good visibility over the center.

KT-06-View.png

KEY TERRAIN 7:  the entry into Recogne provides good lateral visibility, though the LOS to the front is limited.

KT-07-View.png

KEY TERRAIN 8:  this ridge is on my far right and provides very good visibility of the center and to the left flank.

KT-08-View.png

Hey Bil,

I know or think you were a fan of "movie mode" for one or 2 of your other AAR's. How does CMFB look in "movie mode" with all that white?

I personally don't find myself using movie mode but it seems popular in the screenshot threads and youtube gameplay footage threads....

Kohl, not particularly happy with WM mode in this release so far (it's a BETA so it can still change)... I find that with the already saturated hues, it is really too much and makes it look like black and white film in many cases.  I do however prefer the shadow modeling.. I am still on the fence on which to use in this AAR.   So far all images have been with the standard lighting.

Here is a comparison:

Lighting-Compare.png

Thanks for the reply fellas. I am working a CMRT Winter Mod and BarbaricCo is trying to "tweak" the shaders but he is discovering the same opinion (I believe).."normal mode is better for a winter battle".... 

Ooh, I just noticed what I think are some nice stone or slate tones in that little building 10m or so forward of your M8. 

It would be so cool if BFC had some youtube videos that showed them at work, the artists, the 3D modellers, the mastermap makers.

Like a documentary to show how this small company harnesses such a great end product and is still afloat. Nope. We get "OctoMom" instead...

And I really can't wait to RezExplode the new data files and go hog effing wild like a black friday shopping spree!

Sorry to interrupt the thread Bil.... 

Go Big Green!!!!

Edited by kohlenklau

Kohl, not particularly happy with WM mode in this release so far (it's a BETA so it can still change)... I find that with the already saturated hues, it is really too much and makes it look like black and white film in many cases.  I do however prefer the shadow modeling.. I am still on the fence on which to use in this AAR.   So far all images have been with the standard lighting.

Here is a comparison:

Lighting-Compare.png

I think movie lighting looks excellent. Have shader values from the community been used?

Look at the cold color of the turret's steel! Wanna lay your hand on it? Or the dark shadows with the hard contrast to the snow. It must be cold out there... :D

Highly saturated orange-red burning flames should make a great impression by contrasting the cold environment with such spots of extreme heat.

But sadly the back of the vehicle displays that Movie Lighting still deactivates Anti-Aliasing? :(

OCOKA TERRAIN ANALYSIS - PART 2

KEY TERRAIN - the Key Terrain identified for this battle are the areas that will have either longish lines of sight or good lateral visibility.  I will examine each in turn, but this map shows the Key Terrain for this fight:  Note I only identified the Key Terrain up to the Recogne line, if I get pushed back farther than this then I will have some serious problems that will require some additional analysis.

Many of these positions will be turned into Battle Positions.

KeyTerrain.PNG

KEY TERRAIN 1:  this small hill very close to where the German force will be entering the battle space has terrific lateral visibility and I expect it to be one of the first objectives for my opponent to attempt to capture.

Before I read the rest of your post, I thought all the red "KT #" zones on the map stood for how many King Tigers you thought were in each location! ;)

Stupendously wonderful presentation...again.

Ken

KEY TERRAIN 5:  a large ridge providing some of the best long range lines of sight in the AO.

KT-05-View.png

KEY TERRAIN 6:  another high ridge providing good visibility over the center.

KT-06-View.png

KEY TERRAIN 8:  this ridge is on my far right and provides very good visibility of the center and to the left flank.

KT-08-View.png

So those ridges are there after all... Ben has done an astounding work recreating the lay of the land in this part of the Ardennes.

Any idea what are you going to do with this excellent terrain? I guess that deploying a couple batteries of 76mm ATG is too static for your liking (and too risky, if Baneman has so much artillery support as you suspect).

Edited by BletchleyGeek
Missed one of Bil's pics

This will be very intresting to watch...

Without airsupport - do the allies have any weapon system at all that will be able to challange the Super heavy Tigers at anything but point blank range...?

Something like 2 of these german heavies on overwatch will make it very hazardius for allied armour to show themself...no ? Will massed fire from  a platoon of 

shermans for example have a decent chans of inflicting any serious damage to the equipment or tracks of these beasts and in such a way take them out ?

Looking forward to see you pull this active defence of...

Best of luck !

Without airsupport - do the allies have any weapon system at all that will be able to challange the Super heavy Tigers at anything but point blank range...?

Something like 2 of these german heavies on overwatch will make it very hazardius for allied armour to show themself...no ? Will massed fire from  a platoon of 

shermans for example have a decent chans of inflicting any serious damage to the equipment or tracks of these beasts and in such a way take them out ?

Best of luck !

Bill said earlier the big German Cats tend to bog. One can always hope for that.

Best of luck !

I will be bringing some M36s with their 90mm guns to the party... they can penetrate Tigers and Panthers from the front.  The JagdTiger and SturmTiger I am not so sure about frontally, they are vulnerable from the sides and rear even to Shermans.  Also they do not have turrets.

Speed will be my main weapon.

I'll be explaining my plan of action for this battle in a future post (as soon as I start making my purchases.. which should start any day now  ;) ).  So stay tuned!!

I actually read an interest snippet in regards to German tank commanders when facing IS2,s in that they would intentionally aim for track treads and wheel sprockets with HE to immobilise them first then manouver for flank shots.  Not sure how true this is and I haven't had had a chance to investigate further.  Not much use here but I found it quite interesting.   Anyway can't wait for this AAR to swing into full throttle.  Good luck Bil, against those big cats your gonna need it I think.

Anti tank mines on the road system would be nice since any thing to get the German heavys off the roads might pay off. if not then the mines will surely make them almost worthless if they don't take to the fields.

Good idea, but they are very expensive and I'd rather purchase another tank or infantry platoon for that amount...  

IIRC the Americans had all but phased out non-selfpropelled at guns at that point anyway.

Talking from memory, there were at least two towed tank destroyer battalions attached to VIII US Corps at the start of the offensive, one of them committed to Rocherath-Krinkelt. 

When you read Zaloga's book on the M10 and M36, you'd be amazed that there was a vigorous attempt to go back to ATGs going on in 1944?

They were never very popular, the US take on turreted TDs looks quite good on paper and in Cm scenarios, though.