CM Final Blitzkrieg - ALLIED (Defense) BETA Battle Report

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TURN 20 (1:11-1:10)

COBRU:  My most forward Scout team takes some suppression fire this turn.. no casualties but I think it's time to un-ass this area.  I will be withdrawing from Cobru in stages over the next few turns.  My forward teams have done their job and with relatively light losses (one KIA and one jeep out of action so far) at least on this side of the map.   The MMG team has not recovered yet, despite the Recon Team HQ sitting right next to it... I'll give it another turn, but I will have to abandon this team and hope for the best if it doesn't recover soon.

Turn%2B19-Cobru.PNG

L SHAPED WOOD:  The Sdkfz 251/17 (20mm Flak) moved forward and is aiming at taking out the team I have on KT1.  This is the remnants of Zeiger's crew and they have been feeding me much of the intel I have so far received on the enemy forces around the L Shaped Wood and Hellcat Ridge.  I knew it was a matter of time before they became a target. Unfortunately, even though this vehicle has its flank to my armor, I don't think I can rush forward for a shot at it with a Hellcat or two without exposing them to his Panther(s)... 

Turn%2B19-Sdkfz%2B251-17.PNG

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

TURN 21 (1:10-1:09) - BUCKLE YOUR SEAT-BELTS!!!

SETUP:  What, I thought, would be the last thing Baneman expects me to do at this point?  He thinks I must be skittish losing three of my five Hellcats several minutes ago and have probably taken up good defensive positions and am simply waiting for him to advance.  He has the initiative he must think.. I am starting to exit Cobru, my armor has run away after our previous steel on steel action... so I thought, what would be the last thing Baneman expects me to do at this point?

For me to counter-attack!!!

So that is exactly what I planned... 

His Sdkfz-251/17 sitting flank wise to my Hellcats was too juicy a target to leave unpunished...  I rushed my Hellcats across the backside of Hellcat Ridge and put them on Hunt orders as they got close to the edge where the flak-halftrack could be spotted.  

Team Pain's Shermans were to advance a little shallower in order to cover the Hellcat's flank in case Baneman has a Panther or two on the move.

Team Punishment's Shermans are also rushing forward in order to provide some additional flank protection and give Baneman something else to think about.

Turn%2B20-Counter-Attack.PNG

Things did not go according to plan.. who here is surprised?

The Hellcats were motoring along nicely, and when they switched to Hunt they were distracted by one of Baneman's scout teams, so they of course stopped short and never got a spot on the Sdkfz-251/17... they did start to hose the area where the infantry team is with MG fire... their mission was a fail though.

Turn%2B20-Hellcats.PNG

Turn%2B20-Hellcats%2B2.PNG

Meanwhile Team Pain's Shermans were also motoring forward... the Jumbo (Hardenberger in command  ;) ) spots an infantry-laden Panther (carrying an HQ unit.. hopefully this is Baneman's namesake), opens fire and...

Turn-20-Panther-Kill.gif

That ladies and gentlemen, was Panther-2, the bastard that killed two of my Hellcats earlier... I could tell because it had a chin mantlet, and by the equipment strapped to its sides.  

Panther-2 burns on the field...

Turn%2B20-Dead%2BPanther.PNG

By the end of the turn, both Hellcats and both Shermans were zeroing in on the lone enemy scout team at the edge of Hellcat Ridge... 

Turn%2B20-Men%2BAgainst%2Btanks.PNG

Team Punishment's Shermans had not reached their positions by turn end, but the Jumbo had spotted and fired on an enemy infantry team in Cobru.. this round was left in the air as time expired...

Turn%2B20-Tm%2BPunishment%2BShermans.PNG

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

Hot damn! That was one helluva turn!

I've been lurking here since the battle began but I figure now is a good time to come out of hiding. The battle seems to be at a very decisive point right now, and the excitement is palpable. I must admit, I'm rooting for Bil in this battle (pro patria and all that) and when he posted that Panther being taken out I felt a surge of elation. The writing combined with the gif was perfectly done Bil!

Thanks for doing this Beta Battle. These are much better than a two minute teaser trailer other products use pending a new release. It also helps that Bil is very knowledgeable and an excellent writer to boot, in my humble opinion. 

Eagerly awaiting the next few turns to see how this all plays out in this crucial moment of the battle!

A quick note on game mechanics: if the M18s had had armour target areas (circular, 'max' range) they should have ignored the infantry they spotted unless receiving fire from them.

Womble, you misspelled armor by the way.  ;) 

I did not have armor covered arcs set for this movement... but they took fire from the infantry team regardless... it was small arms fire and all it is getting them is a massed response.. yet it was enough to stop my Hellcats.  Still, I am not dissatisfied with how this turn unfolded.

Thanks fellas... 

...in all the excitement I forgot to say that the Jumbo bogged right after killing Panther-2... hopefully it will get out of the hole it's in and still be mobile.  If not.. well its in a great position to deal a lot of Pain.   

I saw the Jumbo's tracks start to spin in your GIF and the tank didn't move. I wondered if it was bogging. To see that happen in the AAR - going to be a nail-biter! 

Womble, you misspelled armor by the way.  ;) 

I did not have armor covered arcs set for this movement... but they took fire from the infantry team regardless... it was small arms fire and all it is getting them is a massed response.. yet it was enough to stop my Hellcats.  Still, I am not dissatisfied with how this turn unfolded.

Nah, I spelled it properly; it's you leftpondians wot r laze.

Interesting the infantry fired on the TDs. Must've thought they could tag some crew through the open tops. It's been a long time since I saw open topped armour near enough to infantry to draw rifle fire, but not close enough for grenades...

Must say, while I think I've read ALL the AAR's in the past, this is my first time catching one "live."

@Bil, big fan of your AAR approach btw. Love the way you analyse, visualise and methodically plan your offensives and movements. Makes for great AAR reading.

I currently own CMBN plus MG&CW, and am now torn between getting RT or FB next - thanks for that..! ;)