RockinHarry Scenario Thread

RockinHarry

This looks very good :) !

I have not updated CMBN to V4 yet...but i will and ones i do i will most certanly give this scenario a go...

I have however given your - retreat forward trick - a test in the editor and the results are very cool !

A very creative way to use the current functions in the editor...thanks for sharing this way of using the withdraw command.

I'm sure i will use it many times when i try to make a scenario of my own  from now on...

On 15.2.2017 at 9:23 PM, RepsolCBR said:

This looks very good :) !

I have not updated CMBN to V4 yet...but i will and ones i do i will most certanly give this scenario a go...

I have however given your - retreat forward trick - a test in the editor and the results are very cool !

A very creative way to use the current functions in the editor...thanks for sharing this way of using the withdraw command.

I'm sure i will use it many times when i try to make a scenario of my own  from now on...

I basically only use the smoke part of withdraw. Get facing to where you want, start popping smoke while just moving one AS, wait 1-2 minutes and follow up with the actual assault move. Makes a 3 orders bundle for the whole thing. Otherwise they move off too quickly with the smoke yet undeveloped and even worse, the HQ unit moves first.

Had to correct and optimize a few things. One blunder was I forgot to deactivate AI Plan 2, which was obsolete and incomplete. Also had to detach the Flamers into their own AI group, coupled to their parents by use of triggers. Otherwise they´d moved last in their original group and came too late to the BBC party. Works better now. 

2d17jwx.jpg

Upgraded version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pv1p6iw4ybuik4h/MG VP You Enter Germany-Introduction V4.btt?dl=0

Mod file and dl link remains the same. SDIII upload following tomorrow.

RockinHarry,

Playing through your battle now.  Probably won't finish it tonight.  Thought I would toss in some screenshots.  Interesting battle so far.  Getting kicked in the teeth, but Metzler's column is arriving now.  There might be hope for the Fatherland  yet.

efmj2p.jpg

Knappe knows how desperate things are.  The Amis are entering Germany now, and rolling over the pillboxes.  He spots an enemy tank.  One of those flail things that beat the ground and detonate mines.  His gunner lays the sights on.  The gun roars...

fve6c9.jpg

..."Treffer!" roars the driver.  He has seen it first. 

a2ynv7.jpg 

Knappe sees some survivors climb through the flames.  He shakes the horrifying vision from his mind.  He's seen too many friend and foe alike, burned by the flames of war.

"First shot, clean through the back of the turret.  Excellent shooting!  Now, watch for more," he warns. 

The war goes on...

Heinrich505

RockinHarry,

I posted another short story of this battle in the screenshots thread.  A number of pictures that I am sure you'll enjoy.  They don't show off the nice looking pillboxes you've put together for this battle, but that might come later if I ever get my counter-attack going.  The US artillery is devastating.  This is one beast of a battle.  I got punched out with a total defeat the first time, so I'm taking the challenge and going at it again.

Heinrich505

9 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

RockinHarry,

I posted another short story of this battle in the screenshots thread.  A number of pictures that I am sure you'll enjoy.  They don't show off the nice looking pillboxes you've put together for this battle, but that might come later if I ever get my counter-attack going.  The US artillery is devastating.  This is one beast of a battle.  I got punched out with a total defeat the first time, so I'm taking the challenge and going at it again.

Heinrich505

Thanks mate! :) Always enjoying your epic stories. I just recall I failed to thank you for the equally nice AAR (Death Factory) over at TSD2 and that wayyyy too late. No idea how I missed that for so long. Sorry! ^^

Oh... if you mention US artillery, I suspect you defended rather passively and cautiously? ^^ Can´t give any spoilers at this time, but from my play testing, a major german victory is possible for sure. Great if you feel challenged and try again. :)

On 27.2.2017 at 1:48 AM, SLIM said:

Hey Harry,

I saw this post a while back, and I'm glad to see an update. Next time I see my battle buddy, I'll give this one a go.

The release of the V4 game update was just the right thing to get this one finished at last. Slim, be aware that this is vs US AI only and not playabale in H2H. For possible US human player I´d need to reshuffle things entirely to possibly make it an enjoyable experience, so I don´t actually recommend a try. 

21 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

The release of the V4 game update was just the right thing to get this one finished at last. Slim, be aware that this is vs US AI only and not playabale in H2H. For possible US human player I´d need to reshuffle things entirely to possibly make it an enjoyable experience, so I don´t actually recommend a try. 

I'll give it a go vs. AI. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

@RockinHarry I have started playing this little piece of art of yours... very well done, mate. It is quite stirring to see the American infantry charging across the field, while you feel a growing sense of impotence. Great sense of immersion. You have choreographed the action with a lot of care and attention to detail.

Thanks very much for sharing, and looking forward to see through the whole thing. I would love to see this scenario given the "Josey Wales" treatment on Youtube.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

On 25.3.2017 at 1:17 PM, BletchleyGeek said:

@RockinHarry I have started playing this little piece of art of yours... very well done, mate. It is quite stirring to see the American infantry charging across the field, while you feel a growing sense of impotence. Great sense of immersion. You have choreographed the action with a lot of care and attention to detail.

Thanks very much for sharing, and looking forward to see through the whole thing. I would love to see this scenario given the "Josey Wales" treatment on Youtube.

Thanks BG!  I know this scenario is rather limited in scope and the first 20 minutes or so could be kind of frustrating, but hopefully the remaining play time yet offers enough fun, as well as replayability challenges to you. :)

You're telling a story... Consider this: a flight sim covering the Battle of Midway. For me there's a difference between flying a Dauntless all the way from the deck of USS Yorktown to the IJN Hiryu, and another is to pop in 6,000 feet above Hiryu.

And I appreciate the former approach, which is the one you take here, as it drives some hard lessons about what is to be in the infantry like sometimes.

But, for replayability, maybe you want to have an abbreviated version.

• 1 year later...
On 2/15/2017 at 5:22 PM, mjkerner said:

I can highly recommend this scenario just based on the playtesting I did last year. I am itching to see how he has improved it under 4.0.  RockinHarry rocks!

Added your playtest video over at TSDIII if you don´t mind. :)

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/cm-battles-for-normandy/cmbn-v4-mg-vp-you-enter-germany-introduction/

Edited by RockinHarry