[Scenario] Seal Team Six - The Rock

Euri

I have updloaded the following scenario to the proving grounds for playtesting and suggestions. I have playtested it myself and was ok but I am open to suggestions. 

As too many things happen within a limited timeframe this must be played as WEGO. Only Blue vs AI

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9z2aTq5oxcqVjE5aU9zR3pyQWc/view?usp=sharing

I copy the briefing as a teaser:

Situation

The Rock is a fortress-prison connected to land only by a bridge. In the central cell of the “Rock” is held a very important asset of ours. Our intelligence suggests that the garrison of the rock consists of two platoons or relatively inexperienced troops. A third platoon or so has established checkpoints and firing positions in the small village situated at the crossroads leading to the bridge. There should be some AFVs there as well. There is also an enemy QRF around 45 minutes away from the crossroad consisting of BMP-3s

Your mission is to free the prisoner held on the Rock.

Your forces

A veteran infantry platoon approaching from the north is tasked with clearing the crossroads.

Three elite squads of Seal Team Six with three extra breach teams, a light MG and a sniper team will approach the Rock from the sea and climb on the south wall. They will be in position exactly ten (10) minutes after the commencement of the operation

Twenty five minutes after the commencement of the operation a fleet of Humvees will arrive from the north of the highway.

This gives you approximately 30 minutes to defeat the garrison of the rock, free the prisoner and clear the crossroads. Once these tasks have been achieved half of the Humvees will reach the Rock and evacuate Seal Team Six and the prisoner and the rest will evacuate the platoon holding the crossroads, hopefully before QRF arrives.

The bad news is that you are outnumbered. To counter this you must play your trumps with finesse: (a) the operation takes place during the night and under heavy rain. This will make your superior IR optics count especially if combined with smoke screens (b) The quality of your troops clearly supersedes that of the enemy.

You should expect heavy losses during the mission but we confident that you will pull it through successfully at the end.

Good Luck.

Edited by Euri

Euri... amazing. Thanks so much for bringing some spice of the USNavy Seals :)

By any chance - do you own CMSF too ? 

I hope you will enjoy it. Please give feedback. 

I do own all modules of cmsf and spend hundreds of hours on it but I uninstalled when cmbs was released. And this last month is my first contact with the editor and scenario design.

That is, without a doubt, one of the most unique maps I have ever seen.  And a very cool concept for a scenario...Just starting out...be interesting to see how much of an advantage the NVGs and troop quality makes...and, of course, the quality of the commander. :D

The briefing is very good...with a map..which I like.  Very nicely done.

One can win it for sure most of the time, but expect casualties. IR + weather conditions give an advantage.  If it still seems too difficult, use the editor and change heavy rain to mist or fog. That will make it very easy for blue. I experimented a lot to strike a balance with weather conditions. If you make the weather clear instead, then it becomes quite difficult.

Edited by Euri

Ok, this is a definite challenge..I am not sure exactly what benefit the night and rain gives the blue force.  

SPOILERS:

I was able to sneak my platoon up on the village and get 2 of the BMPs..but then was out of Javelins..which left 1 to get on the other side of the crossroads...that was very tough and not doable given my casualties..SO, Strike 1

The SEALs appeared...very cool concept..HOWEVER, once you breach the walls, the NVG advantage falls away as you must assault into those hardened bunkers where even green troops just hold the trigger down and spray and pray....I got nearly all my SEALs wiped out without securing any towers or freeing the prisoners...STRIKE 2.

SO, at the end...to say I took a lot of casualties was an understatement..however, I like this scenario because it has a lot of moving parts and I REALLY am a glutton for punishment so I want to see if I can breach and assault the compound...SO no Strike 3 as this could prove to be a very addicting scenario...I hate to lose...perhaps more covering fire and use my troops to nail that closest BMP and use the Javelins on the other 2...lots of ways to try and figure this out.

Cheers

SPOILERS

Do not try to assault the centraly buildings directly! Breach the southern wall en masse and start exchanging fire until you silence the threats. you have clearly superior firepower. Use the two towers overlooking the sea as fire bases. You have time. Remember that the guarison are green troops. They cannot stand the heat for too long. Dont rush! And smoke them, for god's shake! :-)

I deliberartly capped the jav number at two. So that one has to find a way to kill the last one with AT launchers. It is absolutely doable. 

Edited by Euri

• 2 weeks later...

THIS IS QUITE A NEAT SCENARIO.  (SPOILER)  First run at it I managed to kill the BMPs in the town easily with 2 AT4's and a javelin but lost about 35% of my force clearing the town.  Seal Team 6, managed to clear the sea towers but by the time I secured the prisoner I was down to remnants of each squad at least 70% KIA or wounded.  With the units from the town attacking the towers, I managed to sneak out ST6 and prisoner from the back and go around the outside walls to link up with the remaining units at the front entrance and then slowly exit out before the humvees arrived.  In all about 80+% of the force were lost by the time they walked off the exit.

Very tough and a good challenge.   The ammo loads for my regular troops were nearly exhausted by the time they reached the prison.  So I wasn't able to breach the front walls just shoot up the towers to keep the enemy heads down so ST6 could sneak past them safely.  What was frustrating is that the spare AT4's and 3 javelins I had couldn't be used against the prison towers, unlike the RPG's the Russians have which can be used against armour, infantry and buildings.  If it was possible to use the weapons at hand as easily in real life vs in the game this scenario would be a tad easier.  

Realistically though a US special ops would never attempt something like this.  If the task force was limited on the ground as in this scenario, they would have force multipliers up the ying yang.  There would be air cover to knock out the 4 prison towers at the very least and to overwatch for the Russian reaction force during the retreat.

I would have wanted at least a couple of supply trucks to resupply the land force with 5.56, 7.62 and AT4's, plus I could use the 50's in the frontal assault of the prison.  It would have kept the flavour of your scenario without making it overwhelmingly easy for the US force to win.  

I did not envisage anyone using the units order to clear the town to cross and attack the tower instead. This was not HQs plan! #LOL. 

I will upload a refined version of the mission soon with minor refinements. Direction of wind from S instead SW (a slight benefit to ST6 using smoke canisters). I will add a second sniper team to ST6 and substitute a .50 cal for the sniper team attacking the town.

How much time did it take you to free the prisoner and clear the town for the transport to cross the bridge?

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't see any other way to defeat the prison guards without the extra help.  First time I played The Rock, most of the killed and wounded came from storming the 2 sea tower.  Once ST got into the tower they were immediately hit by the guards in the main block building.  The surviving members were able to neutralize most of the guards and able to free the prisoner in about 10 minutes, but by then I'm down to a handful and not confident I could walk out the front gate, so I exited from the rear entrance I made and walked around the prison towards freedom.  

It was because ST was decimated that I had no choice but to bring in the land force over the bridge on foot to hit the front, land facing towers and take out the guards there to enable ST to walk around the prison unhindered beanie sniping from the guards. All in all it took about 30 to 40 minutes to free the prisoner and walk him off the board.  Plenty of time to escape before the QRF makes it to town.  In subsequent battle tests, once I freed the prisoner, I would walk my ST and town troops to the entry point of the QRF and just wait in ambush using whatever javelins and AT4's were left over and had a blast.  Literally.  Too cool to see the whole enemy column blow up in a few seconds with no survivors.

Thanks again for the great scenario and I look forward to the next version!

I couldn't see any other way to defeat the prison guards without the extra help.  First time I played The Rock, most of the killed and wounded came from storming the 2 sea tower.  Once ST got into the tower they were immediately hit by the guards in the main block building.  The surviving members were able to neutralize most of the guards and able to free the prisoner in about 10 minutes, but by then I'm down to a handful and not confident I could walk out the front gate, so I exited from the rear entrance I made and walked around the prison towards freedom.  

It was because ST was decimated that I had no choice but to bring in the land force over the bridge on foot to hit the front, land facing towers and take out the guards there to enable ST to walk around the prison unhindered beanie sniping from the guards. All in all it took about 30 to 40 minutes to free the prisoner and walk him off the board.  Plenty of time to escape before the QRF makes it to town.  In subsequent battle tests, once I freed the prisoner, I would walk my ST and town troops to the entry point of the QRF and just wait in ambush using whatever javelins and AT4's were left over and had a blast.  Literally.  Too cool to see the whole enemy column blow up in a few seconds with no survivors.

Thanks again for the great scenario and I look forward to the next version!

Well done.  Whatever accomplishes the mission right?

Hello Euri.. :) Albeit very very late with my AAR. Im so happy to say - i have finished the level on Veteran, WEGO, with flying colours.

I had artificial bright Lights ON.

I never encountered the Russian QRF (thankfully)

I used the Main Force to infiltrate the crossroads, slowly via the forest as cover, used successfully the Javelins to get rid of the tanks, and also controlled the households.

SEAL TEAM 6, and its breach teams was the BEST bit.. I divided them into two, i moved the breach teams at the very back of each tower, used the HIDE command for the rest of DEVGRU, and popped some Gas Canisters inside the compound.Before you know it, i Used the two towers for my own cover, and suppressed all Russians inside the compound. I sort of Trapped Them, rather than me. The remaining Tank INSIDE the compound was taken care by Grenade Launchers from one of the teams. I can't embed my AAR.. i'll try in my next post.  In brief, i had 87 Men ok, 13 killed and 9 wounded :) 

PLEASE, Give us ANOTHER SEAL MISSION. 

Hello Euri.. :) Albeit very very late with my AAR. Im so happy to say - i have finished the level on Veteran, WEGO, with flying colours.

I had artificial bright Lights ON.

I never encountered the Russian QRF (thankfully)

I used the Main Force to infiltrate the crossroads, slowly via the forest as cover, used successfully the Javelins to get rid of the tanks, and also controlled the households.

SEAL TEAM 6, and its breach teams was the BEST bit.. I divided them into two, i moved the breach teams at the very back of each tower, used the HIDE command for the rest of DEVGRU, and popped some Gas Canisters inside the compound.Before you know it, i Used the two towers for my own cover, and suppressed all Russians inside the compound. I sort of Trapped Them, rather than me. The remaining Tank INSIDE the compound was taken care by Grenade Launchers from one of the teams. I can't embed my AAR.. i'll try in my next post.  In brief, i had 87 Men ok, 13 killed and 9 wounded :) 

PLEASE, Give us ANOTHER SEAL MISSION. 

I am glad you like it. And even more glad because your play was close to what I envisage as blue plan. Be my guest and try my other mission: Leave no stone unturned. It may look big but essentially there are three separate submissions that you can save an play at your fee time (Bomb the brigde - search the village - escape).

Unfortunately, this last month I am working like hell in my RL work, so I dont have time for new missions