Warning AVG will mess up your CMSF installation

CJH

Title says it all AVG even when you tell the notification to ignore the "threat" does something to the executable to f**k it, I've not had this issue with AVG before I used to install it as standard on computers when I worked in a computer repair shop.

How do I recover my licences since this has managed to completely ruin the install.

Bloody frustrating.

The activation should still be 'in place', even if the game executable is messed up. You can disable AVG (temporarily), uninstall and reinstall CMSF and then, before running CMSF, add exceptions within AVG to ignore the executables. You will also need to add an exception for the 'runservice.exe' file found in the 'Windows' directory. This is part of the eLicense copy-protection and it can be interfered with by the security software. This file will only be in place once the game has been activated (which I assume was the case with this particular install).

It's probably best to add exceptions for game executables for almost any Battlefront game (or other small publisher) in your security software. Eventually it seems either some engine update or signature update decides that the game files are viruses, trojans, etc...... I have seen some security programs ignore even their exceptions list to say a file is infected (Avira, several years ago), making the security software unusable if you wanted to play a Battlefront game. I assume the exceptions for the current version of AVG should work however.

That's helpful thanks I had added exceptions but not for runservice.exe, explains what went wrong, frustrating thing was you get the notification and it give you the choice of removing or ignore, however in the ignore text it stated it will render the file unavailable I'd have liked to be at the meeting where that "feature" was discussed never heard the words false positive before.

Glad it wont be a hassle unlike some lets say interesting issues I've ad with games remember DRM like Tages and StarForce the "WTF happened to my [insert device name here]" or "what's this massive backdoor in my computer for" and your anti virus/firewall would not bat an eyelid :D