Tiger by the Tail (CMBN city scenario... not the CMFI default)

sttp

I left a comment over at The Scenario Depot also, but reading the scenario author'd briefing notes again, I see he's asked people to leave any comments here or to send them by email. This one is definitely worth the public praise / recommendation, IMO, so... here's what I said over there:

I just finished this one, and can honestly say that this was the most fun I've ever had with any city or large town scenario. I usually shy away from that setting (since it seems like the game mechanics and animation weaknesses are most apparent there), but taking a chance on this one really paid off. Best of all, this apparently has 5 AI plans, so it should be extremely replayable. Thanks Umlaut.

• 2 years later...

Umlaut,

This was superb.  +1 to sttp.  There was plenty of tension as I hunted for the elusive Tigers.  You could feel it ratcheting up.  Then, once you find them, it is almost an oops moment.

Really great job.  This is another one of those gems that sometimes go unnoticed for a while.  There are so many things you have to consider.  Do I set up my AT guns right away?  Do I wait for the scouts to find the enemy?  Will it be too late to set them up when they do?  How aggressively should I search for the enemy?  The list just goes on and on.

On top of all this, the map is superb.  I don't know how I missed this map as long as I have.  It is so well done that it enhances your immersion factor.

The force mix feels right, tension builds as you hunt for the hunters, and then you have to rush troops around to try and counter the enemy moves. 

Thanks so much for posting this.  It is an absolute blast to play.

Heinrich505 

The map and concept seem wonderful.   I noticed that my 4th Troop HQ vehicle says it is an M5 (the other 3 in the Troop are M5A1's), but the vehicle graphic looks like a Priest vehicle version (armed with only a 50 cal MG).

Which vehicle is it supposed to be and any ideas what could be causing the glitch?

So, it should look like an M5?

I have all of Aris' huge collection of vehicle mods and do have a "Aris M5 LendLease HT's" mod in my Z.  For some reason some other mod is appearing.  Could it be a date issue? 

I note I also have at least a couple of other M5 mods in the various "mod sets" that are supposed to get activated when certain campaigns are running like "Fields where Poppies Grow" and "For King & Country".  But, they should only change the camo.

And anyone have any idea what a "Priest-looking vehicle" with only a 50 cal weapon is called?

PS:  I love seeing a few of the numerous Brit recon AC's.  Wish you would do one of your great scenarios that features the full library of those light vehicles.

Edited by Erwin

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:56 AM, Erwin said:

The map and concept seem wonderful.   I noticed that my 4th Troop HQ vehicle says it is an M5 (the other 3 in the Troop are M5A1's), but the vehicle graphic looks like a Priest vehicle version (armed with only a 50 cal MG).

Which vehicle is it supposed to be and any ideas what could be causing the glitch?

A screen shot would be kinda helpful here.

Unfortunately, nah.  It looks like a Priest with a pulpit.  But armed with only a 50 cal weapon.

Unfortunately there are no pics included with the mods, so can't look thru em. 

This is not a game breaker as the scenario can be run just fine with whatever it is.  Am simply curious as to what it is and why is it replacing the Aris M5 mod, which I have.

That looks similar to that one.   Altho IIRC the pulpit looks separate - there doesn't appear to be as much frontal armor.  The only Priest mods I can find in my Z is Aris M7 and Aris M7B1.  But presumably that has the 105mm.  Unfortunately so many of his mods do not come with a pic, so looking at the bmp files doesn't tell one much.

My puzzle is why is this mystery vehicle replacing the Aris M5 mod.

It could be that the latest version of CM2 is making an older mod obsolete.

On 11/24/2017 at 4:27 AM, Bulletpoint said:

It's a really great city map. I played the other scenario built on it: Seizing Ciembienne. Also highly recommended.

Wow, thanks, I didn't even know that Seizing Ciembienne existed. Can't wait to play it. (Starting tonight.) If it's even half as good as Tiger By the Tail then it'll be great. Tiger By the Tail has become not just my favorite city scenario, but my favorite CM2 scenario overall. I've replayed it an embarrassing number of times, and I don't even usually like city maps. But I'm really excited to try this "new" one.

It looks very much like the Priest Kangaroo pic above, but the center armor plate between the circular "pulpit" and the driver's position is missing(!).  I think my mystery vehicle is some sort of incompatibility/conflict between two mods. 

Am sure the mod is "Aris M7 Priest Mod_Heavily Weathered" as it has the number "13" and "S-230576" written on the vehicle.  But, I canna figure out why it is interfering with the M5 mod.   My problem is that I have SO many mods in my Z that some may not be working correctly in the latest CM2 version.

It's no biggy and I can't see why it would spoil the scenario.  I wonder if it will function in the game as an M5 or as a Priest Kangaroo. 

Ok, So I removed the 2 Priest mods (the 2nd was "Aris M7B1 Priest CMBN v2") exited CMBN to desktop and restarted CMBN and then loaded the game.  The vehicle is STILL the messed up Priest Kangaroo!  For some reason the game is not picking up the "Aris_M5 Lendlease HTs Mod".  But, surely I should at least be seeing the default BF M5. 

Is there any way the game could be finding some other mod(s) not in the Z folder and conflicting?

Edited by Erwin

sttp,

I just finished playing "Seizing Ciembienne" a day ago.  It is another gem.  The map really makes the scenario. 

The battle and the special mission are pretty slick as well.  There were lots of little actions that the troops got involved in, making it such fun to replay each turn and see how the guys reacted.

One of the PIAT teams was a highlight for my game.  The PIAT gunner got wounded and his partner ran for cover about 3 blocks away.  Once he gathered his wits, he ran back to where his buddy was wounded, did buddy aid on him, and sent him packing to the rear.  He also scavenged the PIAT, and he still had three rounds on himself.  Then he went hunting for a Jagdpanzer that had fled the compound when his mates attacked it.  Pretty much singlehanded he heard the engine, found it in a small courtyard about 4 blocks away, crawled out from cover, fired one round into the rear of the tank hunter, had to go to his main weapon to shoot one of the enemy crew that bailed out, and then fired the last two PIAT rounds into the rear of the beast to set it on fire.

Once that was done, he legged it up one of the main streets to meet up with the reinforcements that had passed by his location.  On his way, he stopped by three dead mates from the other PIAT teams, and managed to snag three more PIAT bombs from their lifeless bodies.  He then hung around a nearby halftrack, trying to decide if he had had enough of the crazy battle.  Eventually he climbed in the halftrack and found himself manning the MG as the halftrack hurtled across one of the bridges in a hail of gunfire.  

Now, you'd think this guy ([-1] Cautious state) had really had enough of the battle.  Nooooo!!!  He decides to dash across the open courtyard and into the giant Cathedral in the square, again under enemy fire.  I won't give away any spoilers on this, but suffice to say that he once again came in very handy. 

And...he survived the battle, with 128 rounds left for his Sten, 3 grenades, and no PIAT bombs left.  His name is Private Bethune.  Another unsung hero.  I looked up the name.  Origin is likely Scottish.  Figures.  This guy was a beast!!!  He did all his heroics pretty much on his own with little or no command influence.  To be expected from someone who likes haggis.  :D  I was proud to have him on my side.  I think there might be a wee picture of him on the wall inside the Slaughtered Lamb pub near the moors in Yorkshire.  ;)

Heinrich505

7 minutes ago, Heinrich505 said:

I think there might be a wee picture of him on the wall inside the Slaughtered Lamb pub near the moors in Yorkshire.

Woo, a little AWIL pop culture reference...nice.

Mord.