Russian drone footage, like a beautiful Syrian Stalingrad.

silent one

It's really a silly term in most cases anyway.  The terrorist's key distinction is that he isn't blowing up the target because that target is valuable, he's blowing it up to inspire terror/force whoever is opposing them to come to terms by manipulating that terror.  In that regard all of the various players in Syria are at least a little bit terroristic (although the Syria Army would best be described as using "terror tactics" simply because it's a nation-state vs the usual Terrorist non-state actor status, although given that it's hard to qualify the chemical weapons and indiscriminate bombing as anything but simply terrorism*).

It's just not a useful label though.  Especially not in Syria.  

Worth remembering that footage is from Damascus. That's the capital. Can you imagine this scale of destruction in your capital . 

I dont think that the USA / west view in Syria is especially benevolent. Its a big proxy war. Like Vietnam now. With states like Iran getting it on  vs Saudi Arabia etc. With  the exception of Iran most of the players are just paying money rather than blood. Which I  think is a bit scummy. But thats politics for you.

The head lopping ISIS is the wild card. Who would want them to win.  On the other hand someones clearly paying for them to fight , If not to win. I think the Russians might be right. I dont think the country can have any kind of unification while ISIS is still functioning.

6:11 - impressive, what kind of weapon? 

Cluster munitions, delivered either by aircraft (likely multiple bombs) or rocket. I'm pretty sure Syria has Smerch. I can't remember if Russia brought it to Syria. But yeah, cluster bombs tend to have hundreds of submunitions each, giving you the results shown. I can't believe they're using them in an urban conflict though.

Listen to all that chanting " god is great. "  . It just shows how different our cultures are at times. Its just a weapon system FFF.  I never thought Id see the day where I was thinking's "go Ruskie!".lol.

Those SU 25's are cool.

Jihadists. The mentality probably hasn't changed since Kitchener was mowing down Mahdists, Ottoman Delis were rampaging through the Balkans some centuries before, or even the time of Mohamed a millennium before that. Weapons technology evolves at a fairly rapid pace compared to the human element. The weapons change, the mentality and theology haven't.

To be fair, I would also pray to god if my enemy just cluster shelled my comrades. And Ottoman Empire and Jihadis are 2 very different things, I wouldn't compare them by religion or what ever you are comparing them with. Islam is a very peaceful religion, Blame the idiots who use the name of Islam not Islam its self because I wouldn't say the crusades were a good thing either.

• 2 weeks later...

silent one,

Impressive footage! Any idea what type of drone shot it? 

waclaw,

Way better footage than what I had before, both in terms of the original basic for my Russian attack helicopter post, and in the fixed wing stuff. Drat! I got confused as to which post I was in and now can't get rid of the box below.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

I suspect that the drone used is civilian. We see it take off and land vertically in the film where its being serviced by thes guys i the slit trensh. I suspect that its a large multi rotor drone with a good quality camera being used by some Russian media outlet. A military drone would have symbols overlaying the images I suspect.. Also the composition is directed by what will look impressive. Its being driven by asthetics not military considerations. eg it watches the tanks it doesnt search for targets for the tanks.

Its a lovely piece of work regardless of source.  Beautiful in its own horrifying way.