Firepower Upgrade Planned for Strykers

BigDork

7 hours ago, Krater said:

Meanwhile, Lithuanians just ordered Boxers armed with both 30mm Rafael autocannon and Spike for about 3.5 million euro.  

Reinforcing my call, above, for every upgunned Stryker to add a Javelin to its 30mm cannon package. The sensors are part of the turret/autocannon. The Soviets/Russians have shown how easy it is to add a tube atop the barrel. We don't need a two-pack launcher like the Bradley's TOW box. (But, that would be nice... ;) ) Heck, the Javelin(s) could be stuck to the side, like how the Germans in WWII stuck Nebelwerfers on the side of their halftracks. Vertical launch, baby. (The Navy packs a lot of missiles in that way...)  But, I'm still partial to having the weapons platoon in an upgunned Stryker unit having their vehicles equipped with turreted 120mm mortars. Ahhh....

Autocannon are far nicer than .50s. Javelins AND autocannon are better yet.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Jammersix said:

Nope. Don't trust commissioned officers with access to ice cream.

Oh not even.  I saw mostly E-7+ trapped in the infernal orbit of the soft serve machine on Victory.  It was like a impervious barrier of divorce, Copenhagen, how the Army used to be "hard" and grumbling about destroyed knees.

11 hours ago, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

Oh not even.  I saw mostly E-7+ trapped in the infernal orbit of the soft serve machine on Victory.  It was like a impervious barrier of divorce, Copenhagen, how the Army used to be "hard" and grumbling about destroyed knees.

As an E6 I dreamed of being one of those guys.lol

58 minutes ago, Splinty said:

As an E6 I dreamed of being one of those guys.lol

The E7 is a fascinating thing.  I watched one of the best ones slowly and deliberately wrap a honeybun with several strips of bacon before devouring it.  It's like, the worse their health habits, the better a 19 series NCO they've been.  

That really started off as a joke, but now looking back on it, my only "bad" E7 was a total health nut and abstained from anything but like social drinking.  My good ones were fueled by booze, tobacco, candy, energy drinks, burger king (it was across the street from the CP) etc.

So really this is a great argument for the soft serve machine on the track.

1 hour ago, nik mond said:

That's when an APC becomes an AFV

I think video games started this, but an AFV is just the catch all term for anything that's a military vehicle with armor/usually a gun.  It often gets used as a term to cover weirdo stuff that doesn't quite fit in too, but AFV is more the blanket term for Tanks, IFVs, APCs, self propelled guns, ATGM launcher vehicles (like M901, MTLB mounted, BRDM-3 whatever), and so forth.

2 hours ago, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

The E7 is a fascinating thing.  I watched one of the best ones slowly and deliberately wrap a honeybun with several strips of bacon before devouring it.  It's like, the worse their health habits, the better a 19 series NCO they've been.  

That really started off as a joke, but now looking back on it, my only "bad" E7 was a total health nut and abstained from anything but like social drinking.  My good ones were fueled by booze, tobacco, candy, energy drinks, burger king (it was across the street from the CP) etc.

That's hilarious and one of my favorite things you've written.

3 hours ago, Jammersix said:

What destroys knees in armor?

Dismounting.  Like no joke, there's no easy way to get off a tank gently that doesn't take a few minutes.  You hop off a tank in full battle rattle enough it's going to eventually take a toll.  Especially if you're like the average E-7 and have done it for 14-20 years and lived on a diet of honeybuns and dip.  

Also if you were a tanker 2003-2010 it's virtually ensured you did at least some time as an improvised infantryman so add in those usual injuries and strains too.  

Oh!  And making tankers do the Manchu Mile.  Pretty much a warcrime.  

1 hour ago, TheForwardObserver said:

That's hilarious and one of my favorite things you've written.

It's with a lot of affection too.  My PSGs were great when I was a Commander.  Outside of a handful of idiots, I really lucked out when it came to personnel. 

Jeez Panzerkraut I never thought a game would make me start looking up military pay grades, the associated titles and responsibilities, but after reading this I feel like I have to be able to look at my units and know by rank what that dude should be doing.  This sucks!  It's like... like.. I don't know edumacation or sumfink!!!    And then you have the gall to make it humorous as well just sucking us in.  Bastard.

Speaking of the mile, all the E-7s I knew were in 75-76-77, and they were all heavily hung, front line hard core infantrymen. Some of them, I didn't talk back to out of straight up fear. I don't remember any bad knees, and I don't remember a single one of them that was the least bit out of shape until I got to Campbell. That was where I saw the first E-7 that didn't look like an E-7 should oughta look.

2 minutes ago, Jammersix said:

Speaking of the mile, all the E-7s I knew were in 75-76-77, and they were all heavily hung, front line hard core infantrymen. Some of them, I didn't talk back to out of straight up fear. I don't remember any bad knees, and I don't remember a single one of them that was the least bit out of shape until I got to Campbell. That was where I saw the first E-7 that didn't look like an E-7 should oughta look.

Well, again 2-9 IN was a Combined Arms Battalion until recently, so imagine a Manchu mile done (and done seriously, we didn't wear armor, but we did have packed to standard and weighed rucks, personal weapons, helmets, load carrying harnesses etc) with tankers, all the maintainers and logistics dweebs from the Forward Support Company etc, etc too.

Oddly enough the two tank companies usually had the fastest times.  Dunno.

As far as out of shape, eh.  They didn't look like Iron Mike, but they were still completing the PT tests well ahead of many of our 19 year olds.  The honeybun guy actually would have likely blended into the 1970's quite handily as regardless of what he ate, he was still comprised of a lot of hard edges and pure hatred for everything.  

Either way they were the guys who fought through Iraq from 2003-2010 three or four times over.  They helped train some of the best scoring tankers and highest scoring tank platoons in Korea.  Wouldn't have traded them for anyone.

4 hours ago, Jammersix said:

2/9 was straight leg when I was there. I'm an axe murder guy.

Fair enough!  I believe it's Stryker now, once they cased the colors in Korea they reflagged one of the SBCTs at Lewis.  There's likely less infantry guys rolling over in their graves given that "Manchu tankers" is no longer a thing.  

I don't have any military anecdotes to add into this amusing divergence from on-topic, however where I live guys have blown out knees and small back injuries from dismounting tractors all day long and the guys who look like Chris Kringle fell trees all day long in 90 or -10 degree days without complaint.  I've always understood how jumping off a tractor day in and out can blow out knees, but I still do not get how a guy that lives on Hungry Man TV dinners, LIttle Debby snacks*, rot gut coffee brandy, and a couple of packs of smokes a day stays upright well into his 60s.  Not to mention chopping down trees at either 90 above or 10 below zero without keeling over.  I guess there's a little E-7 in 'em :D

Steve

* Little Debby makes the same sort of stuff that Hostess does, only worse for you

59 minutes ago, Jammersix said:

Speaking of the Land of the Morning Calm, look at this. Now we can say they're nerfing it, dude.

https://www.armytimes.com/story/military/careers/army/2015/05/19/battalion-conducts-last-manchu-mile-korea/27538643/

I missed that one.  I went wheels up from Korea October 2014.  Would have stuck it out if they'd let me.