• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisHb

Movement

ChrisHb   

One thing that I find a little odd about the game is the inability to move sometimes. A unit in pretty good shape is unable to advance even one square toward the enemy.

Capture.thumb.JPG.4836bbe4b3e90362380d6dCapture.thumb.JPG.4836bbe4b3e90362380d6d

ChrisHb   

Hmm. Also no idea why that image duplicated. As far as I understand rain has no impact on movement? Even if it did I would think units should always be able to move at least one square in any direction?

Edited by ChrisHb

ChrisHb   

OK - just realised this is probably a ZOC thing. A lot of wargames allow at least a one hex movement regardless of penalties - I prefer that myself. But at least I now understand why I cannot advance.

Bill101   

Hi Chris

Another big factor is the mountain immediately SE of the infantry unit. As there is no road over it, the cost of crossing it is so much that it isn't possible.

The beauty of this being that it creates bottlenecks which have to be taken, rather than bypassed, as the frontline was around here for most of the war and it was difficult for either side to push the other back.

Bill

ChrisHb   

Thanks Bill. That makes sense. Hopefully my last question on the game :) I've just taken Truk but I am unable to transfer aircraft from any allied nation to it. Example here. Can you explain why? I assume just something I don't understand? I mean the operate option doesn't allow me to move here.

Capture.thumb.JPG.604b876042ad31065d8e32

Edited by ChrisHb

Bill101   

Hi Chris

That's fine, if you have more questions we'll always do our best to answer them. :)

The problem here is that as the island has only just been taken, the strength of the resource at Truk is only 1, and to be able to operate in an air unit it will have to have repaired to at least 3.

Providing the Japanese don't bomb or shell the port, then that should happen within 2 turns and you'll be able to Operate those Fighters there.

This makes newly landed forces more vulnerable to counter-attack, and is why sometimes you'll have to keep your Carriers nearby until the Fighters can operate there, despite the risks that can entail. :)

Bill

That's very Japanese.  B)

Just out of interest, is there any possibility of a Japanese commander deciding to off himself after suffering a major defeat?  That too would be very Japanese.  ;)

Bill101   

It would be fun but sometimes circumstances create the same result, such as when your HQ in a transport is sunk by the enemy and you can't buy him back at reduced price. It's especially satisfying to do that in multiplayer! :)

What about having the commander be replaced at random to represent him committing Sepukku.....It would be appropriate, but it wouldn't destroy the player's position completely and it might on occasion be a blessing.

Just a thought. B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead