Caesar's Wars

Bil,

I was being playful, and the kids' testudo was woefully deficient,but what you provided stopped my breath. What follows was something I wrote yesterday, which somehow vanished before I could post it. Happily, it's back and is full of legionary living history goodness, which may aid you in your work.

On a more serious note, there is a lot of nitty gritty living history here, including such details as the shield covers Caesar talks about in fighting the Nervii. This video show all manner of details of the soldier's kit, his footgear and much more. You, too, can learn about the furca!

This one looks at projectile weapons and has some marvelous torsion artillery--after slings and pila. The computer game isn't anywhere nearly as correct.

Regards,

John Kettler

1 hour ago, John Kettler said:

Bil,

I was being playful, and the kids' testudo was woefully deficient,but what you provided stopped my breath. 

Regards,

John Kettler

I like how they kids maintained formation until they made contact then lost all cohesion... heh.. such a lack of discipline could end up with decimation!

Thanks for the videos John, I'll review those when I get a moment.

Can't view your blog sadly Bil.  :(

I live in Worcester, which was a rather interesting Roman settlement, defending against incursions from both the Welsh and from sea-raiders who would follow the Severn from the Bristol-Channel.....The locals had a fairly imposing defensive position of their own:

3178672_956c864b.jpg

'British Camp' Malvern, Worcestershire.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Bil,

Something not covered in the two videos is that the legionary had a strap to help carry the shield when on the march. Forget what it was called, but it's definitely in some of the literature on the Roman soldier.

Andy,

I'll say. Am surprised someone didn't build a castle there.

Regards,

John Kettler

The border had moved to the west by the time the serious fortifications started to spring up, but there are plenty of those too.....If you've watched a few British made 'Medieval Docu-Dramas' chances are you're looking at my part of the world in many instances, but that's for another thread.

PS - Apologies to Bob Embleton for not crediting his fine image when I posted it, if I'd had the information I'd have used it.....But maybe don't post your stuff in public locations if you don't want people to use it?  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Can't view your blog sadly Bil.  :(

I live in Worcester, which was a rather interesting Roman settlement, defending against incursions from both the Welsh and from sea-raiders who would follow the Severn from the Bristol-Channel.....The locals had a fairly imposing defensive position of their own:

3178672_956c864b.jpg

'British Camp' Malvern, Worcestershire.

Yeah sorry about that, I made the blog private for now.

LOL!  I think the active missile defense mode John referenced occurs at -0:18 when the NFA's front rank starts using their gladii to deflect incoming nerf tubes  . . .  :rolleyes:

I suspect one might only be able to use beagles or dachshunds to test the strength of the Northwest Fencing Academy's Testudo formations . . . ;)

More seriously, as Bil points out, the Roman engineering approaches to war provided options not possible with Macedonian, Thracian, or Hoplon shields.

Edited by Badger73

Badger73,

16 hours ago, Badger73 said:

LOL!  I think the active missile defense mode John referenced occurs at -0:18 when the NFA's front rank starts using their gladii to deflect incoming nerf tubes  . . .  :rolleyes:

Exactly correct. I note the left side of the kids' testudo was wide open, and I'd bet the far side was, too. Would say their understanding of the concept was only partial. Bil is right, but I would observe the Spartans had excellent staying power vs a veritable deluge of Persian arrows by virtue of their extensive armor protection. Only after the betrayed Spartans were completely surrounded and the Persian commander, having had even his elite Immortals ripped to pieces, turned the job over to huge formations of archers, whose weight of fire inevitably found vulnerable spots, did the end come to supremely brave Leonidas and his fight-to-the last men.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...

Bil,

In going through the delight/torment of going through the deeply discounted side of the splendid bookstore Articles of War on Biblio.com, I came across this. It would appear to be dead on the subject of your series of novels.

MARIUS'S MULES 1 - The Conquest of Gaul

by Turney, S.J.A

https://www.biblio.com/book/mariuss-mules-1-conquest-gaul-turney/d/710940476

Regards,

John Kettler