35mm AA test

Gents, attached are two pictures, which I took at the Air14 last year. They show the effect of a 35mm AA shell penetrating an aircrafts armor.Looks impressive. However, I do not really understand the set-up. Is an aircrafts armor really build as sadwich construction, with each armor plate 10cm's apart? That would make for pretty thick side walls.

Can anybody enlighten me?

P1010719.JPG

P1010720.JPG

Edited by StieliAlpha

• 2 weeks later...

This has got me interested, hope we get someone in the know respond to the thread.

Edit: actually might have better luck posting in one of the CMx2 threads,  lots of guys don't look at the general discussion sub-forum. Just a thought.

Edited by Luka

Avional as mentioned in the 2nd picture is a high strength aluminium alloy - there's not a lot on the web about it.

but translating the info on the 2nd photo - I found reference to "Mines fire cartridge 93 with base fuse Mi Br Pat 93 BoZ " - a translation of this page (link is to google translate) under "Munitions"

There's a PDF about modern 30 & 35mm ammo here that is a good read, although I cant' tell if the ammo identified above is part of it - it's still pretty cool.....as long as you're not on the receiving end!!