sublime vs hydaspes DAR (no hydaspes obviously)

Sublime

Im gonna try to get a screenie of the map preview before work. Hydaspes has the Americans in a probe (im suspected, I should check that huh... lol)

Anyways I broke my usual no aps rule just so he couldnt complain. I bought a BTR tac group, parsed it down to one company of Veteran infantry. Deleted the Bttn recon and engineers. Kept 2nd companies ATGM assets.  Bought Tank battalion 31 of T90 As parsed it down to 5 tanks, 4 vets, 1 reg.  2 Khriz, one  vet, one crack.  A tunguska of normal quality.

120mm mortars - on map all kept.  All BTR82s deleted.  Grenade launcher platoon kept.  Dont need the BTRs really, ammo resupply would be nice, but for this I dont really expect to have to move much. Unless the setup zone bug strikes an we have to restart he'll be coming from a water feature then having to hump over a large hill mass that dominates his end of the map. or go around the narrow edge of it and the low country on the side.  On my side are three small hamlets, the larger being a village  or small town size. Most of my tanks and infantry will be holed up in there, except for the 3 trenches I bought for AT14 teams  to place in the high hills at the very back of my terrain, along with the Khriz.  I plan to simply let him roll in.  long range lases will force pop smokes and he'll run out before serious combat I expect.

I wanted an SU25 but decided an extra tank was more worth it for this.  I also kept the bttn 152mms, the 2nd option (believe  2s1?) and got TRPs.   Volley fire of AT14s with my Khriz to attrit american tanks coming in, and also light mortar shelling along with 152 shelling until his schwerepunkt is ID'd. Then I'll lay all the arty on it to scour subsystems and hit his infantry hard. I expect by then several abrams and bradleys to have been hit, while the rest take out the Khriz and hilltop AT14 teams.  Then they'll have to enter the town and be ambushed and deal with my T90s at very close range, along with my all but invisible to thermals infantry in buildings supported by AT13s.

Ok he reported dreaded setup zone  bug. So he.ll either pick another map or manually edit setup zones. Either way expect almost the exact same force composition on my end as i find its probably one of the most versatile russian defense schemes as I noticed getting BMPs to fire their ATGMs can be very hard for me at least and therefore I use BTR tac grps for defense. This would be different in real life or with a patch of some sort that fixes the problem. In all my bs play ive seen a bmp fire its atgm once and it was a ukrainian at 5 of mine. If i could reliably get my bmp 2ms to fire their kornets id use them for defense a lot but.. reality is reality

For embedding to work you need a url to an image file.  Such as .png or .jpg not the photobucket .html page.  So on that photo bucket .html page right click on the image and choose "Copy Image Location" (or the equivalent for your browser).  That will be the url to the actual image.  Embed that and you are good to go.

Ok he reported dreaded setup zone  bug. So he.ll either pick another map or manually edit setup zones.

No need. There is a work-around that allows your to "fix" the bug without restarting.

When player 1 gets file 002 back from player 2 and loads the PBEM save file, whatever setup zone he is in will be the one he is in every time he loads that save so long as he does not exit the program (exiting and restarting the program will occasionally result in a different zone). However, after loading then Quiting the 002 PBEM file player 1 can switch the setup zone he will be assigned next time he loads file 002 as follows:

1) Click on Quick Battle at the main menu
2) Switch the attacker and defender services, e.g. if it is set to Waffen SS attacking and US Army defending switch it to the other way around. It doesn't seem to matter what the specific services are or if they match the ones in the PBEM, only that they are reversed from the present default. Other settings in the QB setup screen seem to be irrelevant.
3) Hit OK --> select map (any map will do) --> select attacker or defender (doesn't matter which) --> select one player turn based --> advance to unit purchase screen
4) Once you see the unit purchase screen you don't need to go any further. Hit cancel to return to the QB setup menu.
5) Go to main menu --> saved games --> load PBEM file 002
6) purchase your units and proceed to setup. When the game starts you will be in the opposite setup zone as the last time.

Looking forward to the simul-accounts of this conflict! Especially now that I've committed and bought BS myself...

Question Sublime; any reason you simply don't attach the images directly to your post via the option below? Or is it (I think) because you are posting from a phone rather than a computer?

No the images are to large to attach directly.  I cant post the omages anyways I take the screens with fraps from my laptop I just post often since i work two jobs and am the father of a four year old whose mothers gone. Im not home much usually my turns are end of night and concentrated into a couple of daytime periods Ive managed to get both days off especially since my son has discovered video games.

Ian helped me fix my problem.

Vanir did you forwaed tour workaround to hydapses?

Edited by Sublime

Ok here goes heres my defensive positions setup. descriptions in pics.

Forward front lines:

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-10-04%2022-31-19

Right flank rear

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-10-04%2022-31-02

Rear area (town) facing right flank

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-10-04%2022-30-55

Town (rear) facing enemy lines

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-10-04%2022-30-52

Left flank (rear) facing enemy lines

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-10-04%2022-30-39

With the plan described above and my defensive schematic I feel perfectly confident in success. If not outright success Im absolutely confident in causing severe US casualties, no matter what options Hydaspes chooses.

Edited by Sublime

Yeah ill continue from my end as the turns are sent to dropbox and have nothing to do with forum.politics. unless he starts arranging formations of abrams into swastikas ;)

I do work 12 hrs today so dont expect an update until 11pm-12am est..

Edited by Sublime

Ok cudnt help it played turn one before work.  First if you look at my setup map his schwerepunkt is obviously going to be thw leftmost blue line on his left flank or my right flank around the hill. This is obvious due to spotting around 8-10 abrams driving forward fast. As the turn ended a T90 in ambush position cover of some woods in the town could see two abrams and was aiming.  It was also obvious what his route of advance now will be because he laid down an ungodly artillery barrge that basically was shaped like an L upside down. With the length of the base running from the edge of my forward center platoon right to the edge of the hill and then back into my lines following a tree line.

Despite obviously using several units of artillery and seeing at least 100+ shells fall he.s caused three light wounds and two casualties. One an At14 gunner in a trench (the open ground trench) the other a grenade launcher crewmember located in said treeline.

Im responding by reorienting my hilltop khriz turning my right flank khriz and letting him drive into a hailstorm of shell and missile fire. Im almost certain by turn two ill have at least one if not two rings around a t90 barrel.

Finally i ordered 155mm on the little dirt area where my right forward trp is,  another linear trp mission starting there and running along the hilltop in case there are any nasty surprises up there and 4 modules of 12m mortar in a small area arc around the trp to scour the armor ( at his high rate of speed the only artillery that has a chance of catching his tanks were the on map mortars with TRPs 1 min call time.)

Im almost definitely sure however we.ll see a couple of dead anrams they dont spot targets that great that are behind a hedge in deep woods at long distance, especially a tank firing rounds. I imagine the tank will get a few shots off and have confidence in a hit with a veteran plus 1 leadership hq unit.

Screenies and description of next turn tonite.

Nah. Hes gone through the flank. Too tired last night to do a detailed account. He.s hit a khriz and a couple of teams but really hasnt killed anyone else really.

He may threaten my on map mortars though of course that doesnt mean he.ll win the battle or that 120mm mortars are needed to kill abrams.

Him and i discussed the battle anyways and one battle isnt enough to prove a point especially when you choose a map tailor made for either go around the mountain on left or right map edge. Because this is a game it has limitations real life doesmt have such as him being entirely sure the left side of his abrams are unthreatened. Its not entirely his fault, attacking armor should flow like water and it.d be a noob mistake to attack entirely over the mountain. That said certain maps can give the attacker... advantages. If you.re trying to prove the Americans are too advantaged in the game attacking along a map edge doesnt really prove much to me, Id point more to say Vanir Ausf Bs post in the thread that started this as an example with ladder wins showing a tendency for russians to win.

That and even the best laid defenses or plans can fall victim to bad luck though as i said the battle isnt over when i still have about 90% of my force intact including every tank i got.

Just played the latest turn. He drove onto the back right corner and is pivoting. And.. using the map edge still. Whatever. An at14 from the hilltop position near a khriz hit an abrams. No penetration but exploded on the weapon. I doubt the tanks main gun works now.

My khriz tandem fired on an abrams but era stopped both rounds. However though smoke obscured the target it was in mid pivot and stopped indicating its possibly immobilized.

Expect screens tonight or tomorrow sorry guys but after twelve hours of minimum wage love im too burnt out to do DARs

Edited by Sublime