Grenades, Satchel Charge?

You're referring to "Close Assault" on vehicles, I think, since I've had my share of troops assaulting into buildings eat grenades thrown by the defenders when I've not turned the suppression screw hard enough... What engine version are you on? I ask, because I have a woolly recollection that this got changed recently. Might just be wishful thinking, though.

Also on this topic, To get troops to throw satchels at tanks do you need to issue an attack order or will they do it if they're close enough? Or maybe even a blast command.

There's no way to explicitly order your troops to close assault a tank. They'll do if if they're close enough and feel confident enough (morale and suppression state, motivation, leadership, fatigue, experience and supply level all feed into the decision). Experimentation with Blast commands show they have no desirable effect on whether a demo charge-equipped element will use their packs against armour rather than nearby terrain.

And following on from this, turns out I was dreaming when I thought close assault out from buildings was now a possibility. But if you park a tank right next to (and I mean in the same AS as) a building, a demo charge Blast out through the building's wall has at least some chance of doing some damage and Immobilising the tank (I tried it once, and that's what happened).

Grenades and demo charges will get thrown from the upper floors on to open topped vehicles. To close assault a tank you have to have your men leave the building. 

THAT is the difference!  "Open top vehicles" I thought I had seen the behavior before but I also knew the troops had to leave the building to close assault.  I was struggling to reconcile the two after reading the opening post.  Now all is right with the CM world again.  :)  

i have 3.11, and "Grenades and demo charges will get thrown from the upper floors on to open topped vehicles" makes perfect sense, and engineers will eagerly throw grenades, charges onto a tank if they are pointblank and not in a building,Its just seems like strange behavior if a tank parks adjacent to a building containing engineers, they just sit there and do nothing

OK so putting aside the dropping from upper floor and addressing the "infantry on the ground floor with the tank adjacent right next to the building".  The issue is that the animation of close assaulting the tank looks like throwing grenades from close up.  That gives people the impression that their troops should be able to do the same form the ground floor when the enemy tank is close by. However the actual act of close assaulting a tank is to get in really close and stick grenade bundles in the tracks and wheels and place them on the engine deck or heck near or in a hatch or observation port.  None of which you can do from behind the glass and wood of the building wall.

You can however leave the building through a door next to the tank and close assault it form right next to the building that will work and simulate what your men would actually have to do - leave the building to get at the tank.

However, IME, it's bad to be too close to the tank when you kill it, because the pistol-packing crew that emerge will:

1. have cover from the tank over a wider angle, and
  2. be very close so their pistols will be effective once they rally from bailing, and your CA team is reloading having flattened a lot of lead against the tank they just nailed, trying to get at the crew.

So make sure you've got some buddies to catch the exiting crew in a good crossfire.

Yes, the last one.  In an ideal world the assault team deals with the tank while the covering platoon :D deals with the crew.  Lately I have not had much trouble with crews.  Part of it is I try to make sure there is an over watch team there to help out but I don't think the crazy immune crews exist any more.

Aye, the dauntless pistoleers are largely a thing of the past, but people tend to buy decent crews for their armour, I reckon, and their tank-wrangling abilities are supported by having a lot of downtime and pistol ammo hanging about in the rear areas... So even if the unhorsed tankers are heading for home, at close range they're a threat.