[Released] Night Vision Mode

Rambler

Here's a modification of the movie mode shader that gives it a night vision effect for those night scenarios. It's designed to be used in conjunction with the artificial brightness mode (Alt+B), so to use it all you have to do is hit Alt+B and Alt+M. Here's a link to download it right now, and I'll also upload it to the repository.

DOWNLOAD

A couple screenshots:
YBHRW5I.jpg

bkQniVm.jpg

Thanks to SLIM for the idea and BarbaricCo for making it known it was possible to mod the shader.

Edited by Rambler

Thanks Rambler - I dearly hope that tracer fire looks like the dogs bollocks with this night vision effect. Even so, perhaps the 'tracers effect' file could be modded to provide that white hot look in this 'night vision mode'?! Tracer effect file file could then be mog-tagged for specific inclusion in scenario designer's night scenarios.

Sounds good huh?!

Thanks guys, hope y'all enjoy it!

@Ithikial_AU - Haha, yea that would be awesome ;).

@The Steppenwulf - You're welcome! Don't know if you're using a tracer mod, but the default tracers do a pretty good job at what you're talking about. They're already bright normally and brighter in NV mode. Here's a screen to illustrate (it looks better in-game imo, so check it out):

mGMx7vl.jpg

Edited by Rambler

Yep tried it -  works great indeed.

On another point; I was thinking about someones suggestion regarding a night thermal look mod. Slightly more difficult since I believe it would require enhancing the brightness and contrast on all the men and vehicle skins to be effective. Though actually, this would make the night vision effect better too. Unfortunately it's an onerous task and vastly increases mod material.

Surely the best solution would be for BF to produce a brightness/contrast filter for infantry and vehicles only in night vision/Movie Mode so that players can best benefit from these great mod ideas?   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2015 at 11:46 PM, Rambler said:

Thanks to SLIM for the idea and BarbaricCo for making it known it was possible to mod the shader.

I'd almost forgotten about this.
I guess I need to bookmark this for CMSF2.

I don't suppose a version is floating around that could be uploaded to CMMODS?

Edited by SLIM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh...My....Word...how have I never seen this MOD before?

:o

This is outstanding!  I normally hate night battles...ok, still hate night battles, but I will hate them a whole lot less with this mod.  Especially modern night battles where I know I should be able to see things better.  (Of course, being a complete knucklehead I never noticed the ALT B and ALT M options before, DUH, been playing these games for over 10 years and never noticed those,:huh:)...

SO what exactly does the WAR MOVIE mode do?  The manual doesn't have a lot to say...ALT B is pretty self explanatory...clearly I need to play around with these setting more...

War Movie mode washes out the color and makes it look like the WW2 newsreels.  The game images appear more "realistic" to us these days as that is what we grew up watching.  However, it's been pointed out that there were many gloriously colorful days in the war and that the BW newsreels do not necessarily reflect the real look.

• 1 month later...

OMG, just started playing a QB with this...yea, I know it took a while.

This may be one of my favorite modern mods ever....I actually got screen shots of the Javelins firing at some advancing BMPs...this mod TOTALLY changes my outlook on night combat, which I normally HATE...if you haven't tried this, you totally should...so freakin' cool.

5ac805ddcc391_ScreenShot2018-04-06at7_38_49PM.thumb.png.2304ccd752300debcc395fe8e5181cb4.png5ac805e3a9269_ScreenShot2018-04-06at7_38_51PM.thumb.png.d85d50033ecbb035a030daceca87e1e2.png