Quick Battles: Attack Mode

Excroat3

Hey guys, long time lurker here, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on the game.

Would it be possible to add a "Force adjustment" option for the defender's side?  It would be cool to have the defender and attacker's force sizes to be equal, while still retaining the size of forces?  For example, the most I can buy as defender with the settings on "huge battle" is ~16k worth of units, while the attackers can buy ~30k worth of units.  This is without any adjustment to the force size of the attackers.  Any response would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Excroat3,

Welcome aboard!

While I understand what you're asking and why, I don't see your request as practical, in that it undermines the very foundation of QBs in order to do so. The reason for this is that the force ratios, expressed as a comparison of points, are tied to the Victory Conditions for the particular type of QB encounter. If you screw with the force ratios, then you undo the goodness, if you will, of the Victory Conditions. In order to determine battle outcome, the AI looks at the combat task each side had and how it did or didn't fulfill it when the game ends. How it does that is tied, in part, to force ratios at the end of the battle. What you seek upends that core and vital assessment. To achieve what you seek, you are talking about either entering the wonderful world of scenario creation or having someone else do it for you, for there is no way, given such a huge change in force ratios as you described, the hard wired Victory Conditions would still work in a standard QB. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Thanks for the reply.  I can understand that, and the fact that it would require a large amount of new coding (I'm assuming) and that expecting something like this would be unlikely.  While we are on the topic, though, is there any way to change the victory conditions?  For example, the battle will end when one side reaches 1000 points, but would there be a way that I could change that to 1500 or 2000 without just creating a entire scenario from scratch?

Would it be possible to add a "Force adjustment" option for the defender's side?

I am sure it is and I have asked for it several times and will continue to ask for it.

I don't know what Kettler is going on about. You can already change the force ratios via the attacker's Force Adjustment so that isn't an issue. I also doubt that it would require much coding. It's not a new feature.

Vanir Ausf B,

I just got through looking at how the Attack QB Excroat3 is talking about would work. He wants to increase the Defender's points to match the Attacker's, but he can't do that because there is no Force Adjustment for the Defender. The only option he presently has is to reduce the Attacker's strength, and the limit there is 60%. He wants a force buy as big as the Attacker presently has under Huge, but if he downsizes the Attacker, it kills his goal of having maximum force size on both ends. Maybe I'm missing something, but I see no way for him, as Defender, to be able to get a 30K force. 

Regards,

John Kettler

The Force Adjustment has an option in increase points by up to 150%, which would put him well over 30,000 if that was his goal.

The numbers in his example don't matter. What matters is the all around increased control and flexibility of QB force sizes.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

Would it be possible to add a "Force adjustment" option for the defender's side?  It would be cool to have the defender and attacker's force sizes to be equal, while still retaining the size of forces?

What you're really after is a larger Meeting Engagement size... :) The request for a "Custom" battle size where you can specify the "base" points level that then gets split between the two sides in ratios that depend on the size and type of battle has been frequently made.

And there is no chance of it ever being implemented?

"No chance" is perhaps too strong, but I don't think I've seen it on any list of priority improvements. Steve has already said they have to work that out for 4.0 so it's not like there is anything yay or nay carved in stone. However there are other things that likely have been asked for more, for longer, that will be higher priorities. 

You do have a workaround, however. Use the editor instead of making a QB. As long as you are doing this for PBEM, you don't have to worry about AI plans or anything fancy, just pick the map you like, buy the forces for your side (which at that point can be mixed nationalities) and send it to your opponent, and having him buy his. Each of you deploys and you play it as a scenario rather than as a QB. As long as you trust your opponent not to peek, it's only a moderate more work than a QB and gives you what you're looking for. :)

To me, the fact that multinational forces are available to set up in the scenario editor, but not in the QB force selection screen means that it's a conscious design decision by BFC, probably intended to put at least some limits on the cherry-picking that can be done. I would be surprised if they change their minds on this, but I'm sure (for the same reason) that it's not technically impossible, possibly not even challenging, and in the unlikely case that BFC adjust their stance on QBs, it's probably something they'd consider.

• 7 months later...

I can't speak for everybody but at least in my experience i've never played somebody randomly on the internet at a game of Combat Mission. There isn't even a multiplayer matching lobby. My point is, that at least in the games i play online we set up ground rules before we get started and that cherry picking too strong a force can easily be avoided by the rarity point system, honor system... So why not have the option to include a multi-national defense force. You can already do it in the editor which means it can be done. I know they have a list, not sure where on that list it sits, hopefully a little higher than fire. Anyways, here's hoping, and if this came out all wrong, sorry, i just had shoulder surgery and the pills are strong. :)