UI Suggestion for arty support

If you have artillery asset with both smoke and HE - if you use up all HE the smoke shells are lost. Which can be really annoying (but AFAIK realistic) if you first want to pummel a location, then put smoke on it and then advance.

It would be a great help if the UI could show how many shells the mission you're about to call will use, so that you don't overextend your resources.

Would it be difficult to program/implement?

The second option may be better as the first would have a dependency on spotting rounds and time left in the turn. I don't think it could give you a definite figure. Even the specific selection would have some variability due to spotting rounds, but the variation would be more limited with a fixed number of rounds firing after FFE.

If it's not maximum, what's the point of calling it in?

So that when everyone in the target area is dead ( or suppressed enough for the follow-up infantry to make dead ), I have enough left over to do it again somewhere else.

Sure you can ceasefire, but it still falls for a bit after you say "stop", using Maximum that could be a lot of rounds.

Hell, I ceasefire Medium stonks on Medium duration if I think it's done the job. ;)

Edited by Baneman

People use Maximum duration ? icon_exclaim.gif

Yep. Three occasions:

1. When you absolutely, positively, gotta kill every muddyfunster* in the room.
  2. When there aren't very many shells left.
  3. When I'm firing a light weight, low tubecount harrassment mission that's probably going to be walked round the map between TRPs.

* Thank you Channel 4** bowdlerisation for pre-watershed/pre-allowed-to-say-the-f-word-on-british-TV-at-all substitutes...

** I think it was Channel 4. It wasn't Jackie Brown, though. Aliens, maybe.

+1 to above.  Perhaps the rounds per minute for, harras, light, medium and heavy could be given? each tube type has its values, i'm using at the moment a spreadsheet, would save me the hassle of 'ctrl-alt-del'-ing to desktop.

Is that a spreadsheet you care to share with us? Pretty please :)

I'm thinking printing it in A3 and sticking it to the wall by my computer.