On 8/15/2018 at 11:34 AM, JulianJ said:

I modded a building!😀

First off: they are all in v100b.

It took ferking hours!  Just to change two levels of one side....and most of the signs I put up are unreadable.😧 I can see now why Kieme worked in HD.  Still, I've got the hang of most of it now. So I think others will be much quicker.

I can't do a screenshot.  I just press PrtScn and all I get is a black frame.  Anybody tell me how please?

Finally: +1 rep to the first non-Brit who guesses what the building is. Tee hee.

A John Lewis. 

Here's a tip for you in case you don't already know. You can number your new building consecutively with Kieme's if you want. That way you won't overwrite any stock buildings or his. Ex: if his last building bmps end in 12, make all yours 13, then 14 etc. Technically we could have as many building mods as our comps can handle.

Mord.

22 minutes ago, JulianJ said:

Thanks Mord, that's useful to know. I wasn't aware of that.

Are you going to venture a guess what my new building is? 😉 

A temple to Cthulhu...or as the Russians call him, C'thul'huski.

Anytime, my man.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Oh dear.  My first building mod works brilliantly.  No.2 has failed to appear. I dunno why.  I wish Kieme was around as he undoubtely would be able to set me right.  I just modded an independent building, and put it in the z folder but it hasn't appeared, and I can't work out why, so I am now throwing a childish tantrum and sodding off.  I will be back again no doubt. Have a nice weekend, you pixel-murdering swine.  🙂

Check and make sure you named the BMPs correctly. Next check and make sure you saved them all to BMP form. It's process of elimination tracking down a screw up. If it's an independent building try just naming it so you will overwrite it. I am not sure if Independent buildings can have more than two texture sets.

Mord.

And here's the first modded building.  I thought it would be obvious.  A pub.  With authentic Ukrainian beer adverts etc, and a craft beer recommendation sign.  Unfortunately they are all pretty undreadable.  And I got a raging thirst to try Ukrainian beer while I was doing it. 

CM-Black-Sea-2018-08-18-11-35-44-46.jpg

Here's the town I am building.  I was very disappointed by the QB maps.  None of the ones I've seen resemble real places at all, let alone locations in Ukraine.  So I am putting together a map which is more like a (compressed) real place.  With different districts, and of course tactical problems to be overcome.CM-Black-Sea-2018-08-18-11-34-32-80.jpg.f29f7cf949e623bc9cdd296bbf07a631.jpg

In the foreground is the Military Supply Depot, in case you can't read it.

This is all very much a work in progress.  Some of the buildings will be removed or moved around.  I was just playing around with the editor.CM-Black-Sea-2018-08-18-11-36-32-77.jpg.0b0deeaa40b65329d3f023557913c80b.jpg

In the game, the captions are completely readable: here's the telephone exchange, town hall, housing administration.  Hidden is the railway station.  On the right is some social housing, the estate is not finished yet.  When I have created some more retail buildings they will to in the town centre.

1 hour ago, JulianJ said:

One other thing I have found out - it is near-impossible to get the poster flavour objects to work - they just float around in mid air.  So I can't create some signs and just stick them on walls.

JulianJ  this could be interresting to you.

Have starting something similar with modding something on the wall...

Edited by 3j2m7

3 hours ago, JulianJ said:

One other thing I have found out - it is near-impossible to get the poster flavour objects to work - they just float around in mid air.  So I can't create some signs and just stick them on walls.

Posters are a pain, but they are possible.  ATM machines in CMSF are similar.  The ideal point to join them seems to be at an AS edge.  Buildings that go a half tile over seem to be particularly difficult to align.  The ATM machine always sits just a bit off the wall.  I have used them sparingly on my Venafro map.  They add a nice touch, but overdoing it will create more work and issues than they are worth.  Also one thing to note is flavor items can affect movement.  I once had a breach team blow a wall then refuse to enter because a bench was there.  Barrels too close to doorways are another item I have seen affect a units movement.  It is best not to place too many flavor items in restrictive locations.  I really like maps with a lot of detail, but it is something to keep in mind that detail can come with a price.

24 minutes ago, sburke said:

Posters are a pain, but they are possible.  ATM machines in CMSF are similar.  The ideal point to join them seems to be at an AS edge.  Buildings that go a half tile over seem to be particularly difficult to align.  The ATM machine always sits just a bit off the wall.  I have used them sparingly on my Venafro map.  They add a nice touch, but overdoing it will create more work and issues than they are worth.  Also one thing to note is flavor items can affect movement.  I once had a breach team blow a wall then refuse to enter because a bench was there.  Barrels too close to doorways are another item I have seen affect a units movement.  It is best not to place too many flavor items in restrictive locations.  I really like maps with a lot of detail, but it is something to keep in mind that detail can come with a price.

Good point friend I will have a look later on this, interresting to know ... 

Questions, always with the questions!

My railway line goes under a road bridge.  I ditchlocked it.  It took me a couple of goes to get the right bridge over a raised embankment..but now the railway lines under the bridge are crumpled, like they were hit by artillery.  Not a good look.

Any ideas?  

Edited by JulianJ

2 hours ago, JulianJ said:

Another question:  I am playing Brutal and I can see that there are very regular lines of trees = orchards, in places.  When I tried this with mine, the trees turned out irregular, more like a forest.  Is there a particular tree that is a fruit tree?

When you pick foliage you should see an option with a picture of a tree on it and a linear grid. If you click that and place your tree, when you go into the 3D preview you will see that the tree is placed exactly in the middle of the action spot. Rinse and repeat and you have yourself an orchard.