SLIM vs Ithikial DAR (Ithikial Stay Out!)

Let's have a round of applause for the #2 Mortar Team!

Despite 6 long minutes of being in direct voice, and close visual contact with the Mortar Platoon HQ who was personally calling in the smoke mission, the #2 Mortar is the only one to actually hit the specified target.

The target was 600 meters to the direct front of the mortar position. I think I'll re-deploy the mortars and use them in direct fire mode.

Mortars.png

Meanwhile, my StuG is in position, and is hitting the Hotel with some HE.

Incoming.png

I highly doubt the building is occupied, but I'm still going to destroy it if possible. The StuG put 4 rounds into it, but the job of destroying it will be picked up by the Panther. Enemy activity across from the Road Bridge is increasing, and the StuG is redeploying towards the bridge early. The Bridge Platoon spotted what looks like another scout team moving into a shell crater.

Meanwhile, the 1st Platoon of the Attack Company is moving as planned towards the town. Fatigue is starting to become a problem however. They've been slogging through the mud for 17 minutes. I'll give them a breather after they reach a larger patch of woods ahead.

Here's a quick update:

My StuG tried a short off-road movement to support the Bridge Platoon as planned, he ran into a single AS wide piece of woods, and immediately bogged down. Ouch.

My Panther has moved up to the corner of the road, but is unable to fire at the Hotel due to smoke buildup.

The lead platoon of Attack Company has crossed to the second piece of woods on their path. They will hold short of a rather wide piece of open ground and catch their breath. They will then conduct a modified version of "Crossing a Linear Danger Area", and continue moving into the town.

My Weapons Platoon is now packing up and re-deploying. Something tells me an artillery counter is slowly ticking down somewhere, and I don't want to lose my Heavy Weapons.

My Sniper Team is now attached to the Bridge Platoon, and is moving into a more effective position. I really want to get a screenshot of him killing something. :D

My movements now look more like a general advance, aside from the few teams at the Road Bridge and Hotel, I haven't seen hair nor hide of Ithikial's troops. I'm starting to be more certain, he must have crossed the Rail Bridge and I didn't see anything because of lack of LOS. I'm expecting to make contact somewhere in the Town.

To that end, all available reserves are being pushed towards the Town, aside from the Tank Support Platoon, which will hang around between Road Bridge and Town, just in case.

This lack of activity is really starting to mess with my head.

<SNIP>  aside from the few teams at the Road Bridge and Hotel, I haven't seen hair nor hide of Ithikial's troops. I'm starting to be more certain, he must have crossed the Rail Bridge and I didn't see anything because of lack of LOS. I'm expecting to make contact somewhere in the Town.

To that end, all available reserves are being pushed towards the Town, <SNIP> 

I tried to refresh my memory by looking back at all the overhead screenshots.  If I understand it Ithikial is pushing into the town with just the rail bridge as his only MSR?  Do you know if vehicles can cross the rail bridge?  Are there any fords he could also use?  If he only has the rail bridge to push into town with (and if he can't bring vehicles all the better) maybe let him have most of the town for now..... just enough to tie him up.  Maybe cut him off in the town by denying him use of the rail bridge, by taking it or interdicting it with direct fire.  (Some bridges will collapse under arty.  Don't know if a rail bridge will or not)  While he is busy fighting his little Stalingrad battle in town (and keeping the MSR open) might you have the chance to cross at the road bridge with armor and take the objectives on his side of the river?  Just thinking about possibilities.  Interesting battle in a very cool game.   :)

I tried to refresh my memory by looking back at all the overhead screenshots.  If I understand it Ithikial is pushing into the town with just the rail bridge as his only MSR?  Do you know if vehicles can cross the rail bridge?  Are there any fords he could also use?  If he only has the rail bridge to push into town with (and if he can't bring vehicles all the better) maybe let him have most of the town for now..... just enough to tie him up.  Maybe cut him off in the town by denying him use of the rail bridge, by taking it or interdicting it with direct fire.  (Some bridges will collapse under arty.  Don't know if a rail bridge will or not)  While he is busy fighting his little Stalingrad battle in town (and keeping the MSR open) might you have the chance to cross at the road bridge with armor and take the objectives on his side of the river?  Just thinking about possibilities.  Interesting battle in a very cool game.   :)

The crazy thing is, I have no idea if Ithikial has crossed the Rail Bridge. I'm making an assumption based on the lack of activity, and the holes in my observation ability.

Both bridges have shallow fords next to them, otherwise I would have simply destroyed the Road Bridge with massed direct and indirect fire and ignored it.

My Anti-Tank Gun is in the middle of a redeployment which will give it LOS all the way down the Railroad Tracks, and my HMG's are pushing forward now to try to get eyes on the bridge.

I'm not going to commit my armor to an independent action until I can verify the presence or lack of armor on Ithikial's side. My intention is to ultimately hold both bridges, the town, and the chateau on my side. That will give me 4 objectives, compared to the 2 Ithikial will be left with, hopefully I can win this based on objective points without having to chew my guys up too much.

I'm going to put together a video review after the next turn comes in, so soon you guys will have a guided tour of "The Situation So Far..."

That sucks about the Stug bogging. IIRC, there used to be a chance with the CM1 engine of the vehicle becoming "unstuck". Is this possible in CM2? <Snip>

Yes if a vehicle becomes bogged it may become un-bogged or may become immobilized.  Once immobilized the vehicle is stuck until the end of the game.  

What are the chances that he's opting to play defensively and has no intention of crossing the river? You said you're somewhat familiar with him, how's his usual play-style?

If he has no intention of crossing the river, then he is literally handing me a victory. All I would have to do is maintain my positions, and I would win by having the majority of Victory Locations.

Most of the AAR's I've seen from Ithikial were single-player, but he did post one from a PBEM he did with Shane Greer (Bootie @ FGM Forums) where he did plan and execute a successful combined arms attack. So he's not incapable of decisive action.

I'm going to proceed with the assumption he's currently crossing the rail bridge, and if he hasn't then I can be pleasantly surprised. More updates later,

You'll have to click the "Watch on Youtube" button to get the full HD I think. I'm still trying to figure out this new forum setup.

Okay, so you can post a video, but you can't seem to post text along with it.

The video is fairly self-explanatory, I tried three times to record voice-over commentary, and none of it worked. So there is some reading required here, and I dubbed in some music to have something to listen to.

EDIT: Okay, everything actually works right from here. Good to know.

Edited by SLIM

Thanks for the comments, as far as captioning the video goes, yes I think it's okay. I was just pissed off I recorded 27 minutes of commentary THREE times, to no effect.

I don't use words very often, so talking for 1.5 hours into a microphone was a bit of an effort.

Normal service now resumes.

Okay, just played the next turn.

My Bridge Platoon squad on the riverbank is now trading fire with a Bren Gun. Judging by the contact markers, it looks like Ithikial was moving a whole platoon down there before I stopped him. I'm considering shifting my reserve squad over there to help out.

My StuG has finished redeploying successfully! I love him so much I want to [bleep] him in the muzzle brake! He's now in a perfect position to control the bridge approach, and he arrived completely unmolested, by me or anyone else. I'm now considering taking some aggressive action with my Panther to hunt down Ithikial's Sherman Firefly.

The second spotting round has landed, impacting on top of the hill near the Chateau. I think the arty might be targeted on my original HMG position, but I can't be certain yet. My troops have their dispersion orders, and will hug the dirt until I know what's going on.

Other than that, things are still fairly quiet...

I was just pissed off I recorded 27 minutes of commentary THREE times, to no effect.

I'm with you. I think doing a traditional AAR is far less stressful than trying to get a balanced audio commentary, or to get a damned mic to co operate.

Taking out that Firefly early will be an absolute windfall for you - assuming its the only one he has. Good luck.

I have to wonder what Ithikial is hoping to achieve by having that Firefly sitting fat and happy in the open. I've played that side of the map, as Brits, and I can't think of anything useful he covers from where he is that couldn't be achieved by hanging further back in the concealment of the forest, at least reducing the tank's exposure. My instinct is that he's got other high velocity guns covering potential spots you could sneak up on the bait from. Though I'd've used a plain old 75 if bait is all it is... Still, seems like a blunder to me; keeping Panther-killing guns on every position that can threaten that Firefly would be tricky indeed.

Actually it's in a very good position. It's hidden from my StuG by two houses, and the firing position I identified for my Panther is marginal at best, relying on a keyhole spot through a bunch of trees.

It's close enough to be a threat, but covered enough that I'll have to be very lucky with LOS to take it out. I'm just surprised he moved it forward so soon. There doesn't seem to be a purpose for it being here yet, perhaps it was meant to support his infantry attack across the ford.

If Ithikial is using a Firefly for infantry support, he probably doesn't have any regular 75mm armed Shermans, or he managed to spot my Panther earlier, so he moved the Firefly up because it has the 17pdr. There's just not enough intel right now to figure it out.

Decisions.png

Partway through the next turn, two new tank contacts are spotted. The one on the left is another Firefly Sherman, who was driving up the road towards the Hotel, when he stopped. Thankfully, he didn't immediately rotate to face this direction, which means once my StuG actually gets a spot on him, he can easily shoot him. Even though the contact shows in this screenshot, the StuG doesn't actually see him yet, although I used the [Target] command to check the LOS, and while it does pass through a couple trees, the StuG can shoot into the Action Spot the tank is in.

Hopefully if all goes well, the StuG will spot and shoot that Firefly next turn. The other contact marker is a 75mm armed Sherman, sitting on the road behind the previously spotted Firefly.

The fact that Ithikial now has three tanks near the road bridge, has made me decide to commit all of my armor.

Movement%20Plan.png

The Jpz IV is going to swing to the right, and advance through the trees to a good firing position. The Panther is waiting 30 seconds, then moving forward around the corner of the road. Bridge Platoon HQ, and 3rd Squad are getting the heck out of the way before the AP rounds start flying. Meanwhile, Support Company HQ is moving up to help the tanks spot. The tanks are directly attached to the HQ via radio C2 link, (red lines in image) and can send and receive spotting information from the HQ.

My hope is to have the HQ Team spot targets for the tanks directly.

The next few minutes might prove decisive...

Edited by SLIM

<SNIP>  Support Company HQ is moving up to help the tanks spot. The tanks are directly attached to the HQ via radio C2 link, (red lines in image) and can send and receive spotting information from the HQ.  My hope is to have the HQ Team spot targets for the tanks directly.  The next few minutes might prove decisive...

Nice tactic.  That puts the M in M-TOE. :)  I have done that myself.  One of the things I like to do in CM titles that allow tank riders (I know, CMBN does not) is to place a scout team on the unbuttoned tank.  This seems to help with spotting.    

One of the things I like to do in CM titles that allow tank riders (I know, CMBN does not) is to place a scout team on the unbuttoned tank.  This seems to help with spotting.    

That doesn't seem to help, it definitely helps. The way C2 is modeled in this game, spotting information is passed between your mounted Scout Team and the Tank Crew using the voice C2 link.

I did make a mistake with my dispositions, I should have used the attached Tank Support Platoon of the Support Company to overwatch the Road Bridge, instead of detaching a platoon from the Attack Company. That would have left me with a unified Chain of Command and C2 links at the Road Bridge, now I have two different formations working the area, and I'm basically stumbling around with half a blindfold on.

If I can eliminate those tanks, and gain fire superiority, I'll withdraw my infantry and replace them. Until then, I have to fight with what I have and make the best of it.