License Error

I purchased a retail copy of Theatre of War several years ago and had it installed on my desktop. Recently I attempted to reinstall the game but am unable to launch it because I am getting an error when I try to activate the licnese on the back of the box. It says that I have used up my alloted activations and need to unlicense the old install before I can use a new one. The problem is I have gone through two different versions of windows in the time since I last used to game and those installs have been gone for years. Is there any way I can get around this so I can use the game that I paid for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Kilroy12

You say that you purchased a 'retail copy of Theatre of War'. Where exactly did you purchase this from ? Battlefront was one of the distributors for this game, but others did sell it too. The important distinction here is that other distributors are likely using a different copy-protection system that Battlefront will have no control over. With a few exceptions, the Battlefront version will have ONLY been purchased from the Battlefront website. I don't think that there was ever a retail 'box' for the Battlefront distributed version, but I'm not certain on that count.

The Battlefront distributed version of Theatre of War used eLicense (like CMSF and the CMx1 series before it). This system allows for two concurrent activations. You have to unlicense any install if you intend to make significant changes to your computer (hardware, OS upgrades/reinstalls, etc.).

Contact the Helpdesk in the link provided by sburke and provide the license key that you have for the game. If it is a Battlefront controlled license key, then they should be able to 'reset' the key to allow for another activation. If it ends up NOT being a Battlefront controlled license key, then you will have to figure out the distributor of your particular version to get another activation.

Edited by Schrullenhaft