What have I done - messed up floating icon

I am making a few tweaks to my tactical icon so they work with Shock Force and have hit a snag.  The new icons I just added look like this:

post-68949-0-74248500-1439915695.jpg

I swear I am making them the same as the original ones that work but when I edit one that was working fine and save it again it look like above (which is the same problem as the new ones).  What am I missing?  I am sure it will be something obvious but I am not seeing it.

I am using Artweaver to edit the icons.  The original icons were edited with version 4 and the new ones were done with version 5 but going back to version 4 did not help.  Creating brand new images gets me here, taking existing working images and tweaking them gets me here and taking existing working images and just re saving them gets me here.  Which makes me think it is the saving process that I have messed up.  The only option when you save as a .bmp file from Artweaver is the choice between 16, 24 or 32bits / pixel.  Only 32 bit results in an icon with transparency - which is expected but it gets cut in half like above.  If I use 24 bits I have no transparency but it shows up whole.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  What am I not seeing?

post-68949-0-74248500-1439915695_thumb.j

Alright I figured it out.  Well I figured out what I did wrong and hot to make it right.  Why is another story.

My memory sucks.  I actually used the green fish icon editor not Artweaver for the icons.  If I open the icon with the green fish editor and just save it again everything works.  From my reading there are two ways for BMP files to save transparency however neither app offers an obvious choice for setting that.  My guess is one saves one way and the other saves the other way while both read either format.  But that is just a guess.  At any rate now that my sucky memory has been restored so have my icons.

Alright I figured it out.  <Snip>  At any rate now that my sucky memory has been restored so have my icons.

All that other technical stuff you said went over my head.  But I think I understood the important part which is: We will soon have IanL's floating icons for CMSF!!  YES!!  Please let us know when and where they are available.  I will then have your floating icon mod for all my CM games. :)