Question Concerning 'Core Units'

I was wondering, how exactly do you utilize this feature while making scenarios? I know how to make a core units file and how to import them into a mission I am building. What I do not understand is, once that first mission is over, how to I carry over the core units to the second battle? Or put a different way, how do I update the core units file with the resulting losses from the first battle so that when I upload the core units file into the second mission, the losses from the first mission are tracked?

I've read through the manual and done a few tests but I'm not having any luck. Is it only possible to track core units through a built campaign? I'm trying to avoid having to build a whole campaign just to benefit from this feature. For those wondering, I'm trying to build missions based on the results of the previous mission. Essentially I am building the battles as I go, but I want to use the core units feature to make things a bit more realistic for the attacking side.

If my question is unclear please don't hesitate to ask me to clarify  :) Thanks in advance!

Nae bother IICptMillerII :)

There was someone working on a method of tracking casualties and carrying this over from one game to another but IIRC it worked using an excel spreadsheet and physically adjusting the "core force" in the editor i.e. play a scenario, note your losses, then edit your spreadsheet. Use this record to then inform your purchase for your next scenario. Although I suspect this was being used within the context of a wider meta campaign.

Nae bother IICptMillerII :)

There was someone working on a method of tracking casualties and carrying this over from one game to another but IIRC it worked using an excel spreadsheet and physically adjusting the "core force" in the editor i.e. play a scenario, note your losses, then edit your spreadsheet. Use this record to then inform your purchase for your next scenario. Although I suspect this was being used within the context of a wider meta campaign.

If the game did It for you it would be much less end user effort.

In the force pick screen it could give you an option to load from an existing core force, one you made in a scenario for example, then pick the points value out of that core force. Saving the core force again to a separate file after the QB has finished.

Job jobbed, dynamic campaign done.

String 6 QBs together between you and an opponent - now there is a sense of worth of your own troops.

If the game did It for you it would be much less end user effort.

In the force pick screen it could give you an option to load from an existing core force, one you made in a scenario for example, then pick the points value out of that core force. Saving the core force again to a separate file after the QB has finished.

Job jobbed, dynamic campaign done.

String 6 QBs together between you and an opponent - now there is a sense of worth of your own troops.

This is essentially what I was hoping to do. A QB on its own is a lot of fun, but it lacks context. There isn't a bigger picture that you can interact with, unless you use a lot of imagination. I think it would be cool to be able to look at a map (in this case of Ukraine) and point to it and say, "The Russians are attacking from here" and then play a QB battle based on the terrain you pointed out. The results of the battle determine the next battle, and its terrain and so on. It could go as long as you wanted it to, and it would have some context as you would be drawing from a core force that would take casualties and be resupplied based on what was going on in your dynamic do-it-yourself campaign. 

I understand that BFC has its hands full, and I'm very excited for all the new content thats coming soon. I would love to see a small feature such as what we've been describing added to CM at some point in the future. I understand that it could be a while, or it may never happen, but theres no harm in talking about it!

Also I would just like to mention that my idea for a do-it-yourself dynamic campaign was spawned from seeing Kohlenklau's operational games that hes been running. The AARs are really interesting/fun to read through, and I think that the idea is fantastic. I know its been talked about before and likely beaten to death at this point, but I do believe that CM would only benefit greatly from some kind of operational level or framework. I know someone is currently working on a project like this that would use CM to resolve the battles. Its called 'Combat Operations' if I remember correctly, however its only just starting up (I think there is supposed to be a kickstarter for it soon) It would be nice if there was something like this in CM already. 

Edited by IICptMillerII