Advice for scenario designers

Euri

I have never designed a battle or a campaign, nonetheless I will be impertinent enough to offer some advice regarding large battles Blue attacking Vs AI defending.In particular, I have in mind  maps where the attacker has to cross some land and then attack a village, industrial or other urban area. But the principle applies to other battles as well where there are one or more key objectives.

Postulate 1: AI surrenders if it suffers too many casualties. Not sure what "too many" is exactly but my rough impression is 66% - 75% of its forces

Postulate 2: Except for specific cases (deploy javelin teams, snipers and spotters) in CMBS warfare it is suicidal to attempt anything with infantry for so long as there are tanks and AFVs around. Infantry men  face high probability to be obliterated.

On the basis of the above each battle has two stages. The 1st is to destroy all enemy armor and fighting vehicles. The 2nd, which kicks in after 1st is completed is to clear objectives from infantry defending them. I have noticed that, more often than not, on or a bit after I am successful in accomplishing stage 1, the enemy has taken so many casualties that he soon surrenders.

The Advice: make sure to allocate enough infantry in defense of the objectives (or in reserves that never arrive or a combination of two) so that the attacker after winning stage 1, is forced to proceed and solve stage 2. This way the battle will be twice as fun.

An example of a well designed battle is for example the last of the official US Campaign. Successful as might one be in stage 1, he has to send troops and clear the compounds. An even better example is the "Factory" from the German Campaign in CMSF.

Thank you for your patience and tolerating me.

Edited by Euri