advantage/disadvantage of packing mods into BRZ files?

canuck97

Since I compiled my own custom mods I was just wondering what the advantages or disadvantages of packing those into BRZ files are? The obvious advantage of not compressing the mods is that you can immediately see what's in it. So is there any advantage of compressing mods into BRZ files (aside from saving some disk space)? Thanks for any replies!

The only advantage is it consolidates the mod into a single file. Personally, I do not prefer brz mods because I then must unpack it to get to the raw content which I want to see, and perhaps cherry pick. For this reason I never brz the mods I make. I always show the content in folders.

Thank you for your replies. That's an advantage of not compressing them for sure. However I'm just curious if there's any other point to consider besides the single file aspect and maybe the saved disk space. Even when it comes to performance I think that uncompressed mods maybe load a bit faster. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

And now -- current game of CMMG 'Frosty Welcome' -- we swap 45MB+ files per PBEM turn!

(I haven't seen 50MB plus, but someone will be along shortly with a Bigger Fish tale.)

;) Largest I've seen in one of my own games was 89Mb.

Biggest I've ever seen is 181Mb :o ( that was not one of mine though )

Edited by Baneman