Could there be a CM Korea?

I can't recall Steve going one way or another over the Korean War. I don't get the impression it's as unlikely as a Pacific Theatre game, but that is just an impression drawn from what I think is mostly a lack of expressed opinion (which is at least better than a "Hell no"... :) ). At least both sides have significant armour in Korea, one of the factors that appears to reduce BFC's interest in the Pacific.

Much rather see Viet Nam, Viet Nam while unpopular to the general masses could be an unbelievable cm game.CMVN would present the BF team with enormous diversity.Talk about re-charging your batteries boys?Think of the possibilities?Jungle warfare,villages,urban and city battles,TET offensive,NVA,VC,boobytraps would have to be represented, tunnels must be in with vc underground movement,napalm,the Huey helicopters would have to be visualy represented on screen in the air(just like a CM tank).I would pay top dollar for that game.

...Jungle warfare...

I can hear the LOS complaints already :lol: 

...boobytraps would have to be represented, tunnels must be in with vc underground movement,napalm,the Huey helicopters would have to be visualy represented on screen in the air(just like a CM tank).

Think about the amount of coding to get that in. We should all live so long.

I would love to see a Combat Mission Korea at some point in the future, but I think that its a long way off if it ever does happen. They are currently working on refocusing on the games they already have out right now by making more missions/campaigns in the form of battle packs, as well as expanding the existing games with new expansions and modules. Also remember that there is  still a lot of WWII that has yet to be  covered that a lot of people are clamoring for, such as the rest of the Eastern Front (41-43, Barbarossa, Stalingrad, Kursk and everything in between) and North Africa. And then if we get really lucky we'll see a Combat Mission game based during the Cold War. Not trying to discourage you though. As I said I would love to see a CM:Korea, I have a lot of interest in that war and I think it would make a really good CM game. 

I disagree weapon2010. I do not think a CM game in Vietnam would be very fun. Too asymmetrical to start, not a lot of vehicle combat, dense jungle terrain that would be a pain to create and fight over (everyone would just alt-t) and any other type of combat such as urban or whatnot has been done in other games. I would much rather see a CM game based in the 1980s as a Cold War gone hot scenario than Vietnam. You would get a lot of the same equipment with the benefit of both sides being adequately equipped with tanks and armored vehicles and whatnot. Plus bear in mind that you would not get to do the classic Vietnam style air assault with Hueys, because CM doesn't visually simulate that. 

Well, everyone has their favorite ideas about what new titles should be about, to each, his own I guess. Personally, I don't care much for fictional settings.

Vietnam would be interesting to me, and I don't think it was all jungle fighting.

I wouldn't like helicopters to be units to be clicked around on the map, rather I would like to see some infantry start the game off-map and then be able to be called in (at pre-planned sites?) a bit like artillery missions.

The helicopters would be shown visibly approaching the LZ and dropping off the grunts, then dusting off, but the player wouldnt be able to click on a helicopter and make it fly somewhere else.

I disagree weapon2010. I do not think a CM game in Vietnam would be very fun. Too asymmetrical to start, not a lot of vehicle combat, dense jungle terrain that would be a pain to create and fight over (everyone would just alt-t) and any other type of combat such as urban or whatnot has been done in other games. I would much rather see a CM game based in the 1980s as a Cold War gone hot scenario than Vietnam. You would get a lot of the same equipment with the benefit of both sides being adequately equipped with tanks and armored vehicles and whatnot. Plus bear in mind that you would not get to do the classic Vietnam style air assault with Hueys, because CM doesn't visually simulate that. 

This. Many of those arguments are factors Steve has identified as being inhibitory to them wanting to develop a WW2 Pacific Theatre game, and I think has even gone so far as to say so wrt Vietnam. Add in all the extra "special features" that you list where the CMx2 engine is already quite heavily challenged (MOUT has a lot of flaws in it, from spotting to abstracted interior details; making a game or scenario focused on that would need improvements, and that's going to be a hurdle to a good Stalingrad-period family), or would need significant development (tunnels, underground movement, visible slicks), adding to the height of the barrier to starting development. Korea would be a relative cakewalk to release, once the late war Russian, American and Commonwealth equipment is all up and running.

I've heard Steve express some doubts about a modern Korean war title. It would be little more than an exercise in mass slaughter, in his opinion. 1950-53 would be more tactically interesting, especially the first year. Though a conflict were we get pushed back to the border by the Chinese and sit in stalemate positions for another year is hardly a 'triumphalist' endgame.

I've heard Steve express some doubts about a modern Korean war title. It would be little more than an exercise in mass slaughter, in his opinion. 1950-53 would be more tactically interesting, especially the first year. Though a conflict were we get pushed back to the border by the Chinese and sit in stalemate positions for another year is hardly a 'triumphalist' endgame.

I also agree that a modern Korean War would be rather boring because of the reasons you stated. I would personally love to have a CM game set in the Korean War in 1950. Theres a lot there that would add something new to CM while being well within the grasp of CMx2, and it would present some very interesting tactical situations that we really haven't seen yet, such as the Chinese who had no heavy equipment or vehicles (initially)

@weapon2010:

In a perfect world we would have CM games that covered every operation from every war since WWII (and possibly even WWI) but we do not live in a perfect world. I have a lot of interest in the Vietnam War and if there were ever a CM game set during that war I would get it and play it and likely enjoy it for what it was, however for many reasons stated by the game developers and reiterated by myself and others, it simply is not in the cards right now and likely will not happen for a very very long time. Not trying to trash on you or your idea, I'm just giving my opinion as to why it would likely not be a very fun/practical CM game.

<SNIP>  we would have CM games that covered every operation from every war since WWII (and possibly even WWI)  <Snip>

YES!!!  This is a great idea! (Okay, I did take that quote out of context a little bit)   :D  But it is still a great idea. The wife might not be happy because I would probably buy everyone of them..............

+1 for CM Korea.

Cmon guys, we don't need a spitting match over this one. Thing is BF has been pretty adamant about not adding gore. Whether that is good or bad is all opinion, but that is probably not going to change.

Going back to the suggestion for Vietnam, there are some obstacles around LOS issues etc, but those could possibly be remedied by allowing units to shoot in a direction with limited LOS using area fire. I for one would love to see. CM Vietnam game, but I am not expecting it. BF has not expressed any real interest

Do you think another way to view past trees would need to be developed or would the entire map just be littered with stumps or partial stump. Or do you think jungle would be portrayed differently?

Would Tunnels be like CMx1 tunnels?

I will make this conversation very simple, as the answer is the same as the last half dozen times it came up: we currently have no plans to add blood n' gore to Combat Mission.

I appreciate your input Chris. This was my understanding for awhile now.

• 3 years later...

The terrain and weapons used in the Korean War have been largely created for other WWII chapters. It doesn't seem to me to require too much new programming. There were some really intense battles with fluid front lines, I enjoy those best in CM. I would love to see a title or simply a mod by an intrepid member of the community. Consider me pre-ordered.

The crucial question is not whether it might sell—that's an important point, but in modest quantities that would be almost guaranteed—but whether Steve and Charles would be interested in playing it themselves. Remember, they have to spend a lot of time on each title, and if it is not something they can bear to be with that much...

Michael

My hope is that the last release for CMFB will be an equipment pack introducing Soviet forces/equipment into CMFB.  Call it meeting on the Elbe River or something.  Then the US, Commonwealth and Soviets would all be in the same Combat Mission game.   No BFC created scenarios would be needed.  Just an equipment pack of already designed equipment ported over from CMRT.  Scenario designers and mod creators could do all kinds of cold war, neo-colonialism stuff.  Including Korea.   I could make a long list of all the independent scenarios/campaigns that could be created from this but I'll just leave it at Korea.  

I hope the effort to profit ratio would be favorable enough for BFC to make this happen.      

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

My hope is that the last release for CMFB will be an equipment pack introducing Soviet forces/equipment into CMFB.

That would be tons of fun for sure. I'd buy it.

That is a bit off topic for a thread about the Korean war. So, to bring it back on topic - I'd buy that too :D

Edited by IanL
spelling - of course