1939 Battlefield Europe - Grand Strategy

Hello everyone!

After a long preparation, the release of the final version of Battlefield EUROPE is now imminent.

So much in advance: It is a massive update!!!

Steel and I just stuck in the multiplayer testing and weed out the last little bumps but then the war really begins!

For all new recruits and old warriors here's a first overview of the version 2.0...

This scenario is essentially based on the 1939 Storm Over Europe campaign

Significant differences to the Strategic Command standard campaign:

• The campaign map has been extended to the north up in the Murmansk region and it introduces a passable sea route as far as Archangel and beyond

Map01.jpg

• The Gibraltar region was redesigned and is now to be passed by the naval forces of all sides

Map02.jpg

• The region of Hamburg (Germany) was redesigned as a major inland port

Map03.jpg

• Romania is now a separate major nation along with the United Kingdom, France, USA, USSR, Poland, Germany and Italy. Slovakia and Croatia are added as minors
  • Some loops are relocated, others are disabled in multiplayer  
  • Added Commonwealth and Free French forces as "offmap" minor (via new Supreme HQ recource)
  • Overall, the Combat Target Data and the unit icons have been carefully adapted to promote the differentiation into major combat units, yet independently operating, specialized units and vulnerable support units. The newly designed Military Unit Sprites were each provided with the appropriate symbols and the 3D Unit Sprites were displayed with a different number of units

Unit01.jpg

• Only units in corps will be able to attack twice. Therefore, this ability of the Mechanized Division is changed to the Infantry Corps! A more detailed overview of the changed units with their new matched battle values will be shown in the attached README file!
  • New unit type Mountain Division modeled

Unit03.jpg

• New unit type Tank Destroyer modeled    

Unit04.jpg

• Added Lend-Lease event for USA and USSR
  • Added Operation Countenance event for USSR and UK
  • Added Operation Arctic Fox event for Germany
  • Added Operation Attila event for Germany and UK
  • Added Atlantic Wall event for Germany
  • Added Partisan/Security event for USSR and Germany
  • Evented foreign Waffen-SS units (France; Netherlands; Latvia)
  • Evented Russian NKVD units
  • Added Crete event for UK and reshaped the island

Map04.jpg

• Special Forces represent all of the US Marines to the Italian Bersaglieri and does not constitute Commandos in the strict sense. The combat effectiveness of these units have partly considerable differences!

Unit02.jpg

• Evented "elite" units for Germany (Waffen-SS) and USSR (Red Army Guards/NKVD) This minor based, additional units have improved combat values and may not be reproduced

InfCorpRAG.jpg

• Supply values of the French Channel and Atlantic ports decreased. So the war effects are simulated and the expansion of the German Navy (Sub) bases are made more urgent.
  • Added new resource sprites for some capitals, cities & towns (Bucharest; Warsaw; New York; mediterranean style; eastern style etc.)
  • Added new resource sprites for "Industrial Centers" and some "Secondary Supplys"
  • Added a new resource sprite for permanent fortresses (Brest-Litovsk etc.)
  • Revised explosion sprites
  • Added, changed and altered lots of pictures, sprites and sounds. Too many to be listed here
  • Many already known and newly discovered minor errors of the latest versions have been fixed

With the release of this campaign the Battlefield Europe project will be completed. There are no further mods planned . Maybe it itches me in the fingers again when a new Strategic Command series appear...we'll see. ;-)

Cheers

Battlefield

• 2 months later...

Hello!

Unfortunately Battlefront has its File Repository closed. Until further notice, no uploads are possible. The Combat Mission Mods are currently externalized on a proffessional fansite (www.thefewgoodmen.com). The future of our Strategic Command files on the other hand seems to me a bit nebulous.

Cheers

Battlefield

Hello!

Unfortunately Battlefront has its File Repository closed. Until further notice, no uploads are possible. The Combat Mission Mods are currently externalized on a proffessional fansite (www.thefewgoodmen.com). The future of our Strategic Command files on the other hand seems to me a bit nebulous.

Cheers

Battlefield

So what do you intend to do with your mod now?

OK. Troops who were cut off from supplies have to improvise! Interested Generals can send me a request via the "Messenger". I will then return a provisional download address. But please be patient, because I can not always be online! ;)

Thank you, my request is on it's way

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Battlefield,

Thanks for sharing your mod and please take the time to pat yourself on the back for a job well done!  The new sprites are very spritely indeed and I do very much like some of the unit properties you have changed.  The corps having two strikes works very well.  The additional graphics also add to the flavor of the mod without imposing additional burdens.  The AI is also more aggressive than I've seen in other mods although it is still rather easy to sink the British fleet piecemeal in the the North Sea.  Changing the deployments to concentrate the fleet in the northern area of Britain (per historical) may help to remedy this some.

More later after I've completed a few games.  Very snappy response times too!

Will

Agreed that the corps being able to strike twice is a great idea, only played a little so far but it looks great..i like the 2D counters much more than the original.

Any chance of  a WW1 mod will be made for Breakthrough?

Will report more later.

Thankyou for the mod.

Hi Battlefield,

I got a chance to install your mod 1939 B.E. Grand Strategy today. Unfortunately for me it didn't install successfully and I received a "Warning" popup when I tried to launch the campaign. Apparently some or all of the files you sent were blocked and the mod is unplayable (for me). File properties had a security attribute with an Unblock Button. Any suggestions to help me solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to trying out your "labor of love". From the feedback I have read it must be something special. 

Thank you,

Ace of Spades

Hi Ace,

I'm running Win 7 Ultimate and Win 10 Pro on another machine and had no problems unpacking the mod on either one.  If you can post some more information on your system and the software/anti-virus/etc you are running,I'm one of us on the forum can help you.

And yes, it is a great mod!

Will

Hi wlape3 and Battlefield,

With some help from my computer tech friend I was able to install the mod. Thank you for the generous offer wlape3 but the problem has been solved. This glitch was an unusual problem for me as I generally have no issue with downloads.

I'm in the process of enjoying the campaign and I will provide some feedback after I finish it.

Thanks to both of you,

Ace of Spades

• 4 months later...