Bulge,Why a New Game?

Bugle is BIG. It required an entirely rejiggered German TO&E (in Steve's eyes the most important part), different seasons, different weather, new art, new terrain features, new region selections, new vehicles, etc etc.

CMBN was always scheduled to end on Sept 30, 1944. And (working title) Bulge game was always meant to start October 1. Its not so much a sales strategy as simple logistics. Why do a 'module' that you'd have to overwrite all of the basegame to implement? Plus if you do it as a module people interested in just the Bulge theater would be compelled to first buy the CMBN title.

so what your saying, Bulge is much bigger and has more content than the normal module

That is kind of a loaded question - define content. 

Number of units

level of detail and options in ToEs

number of scenarios/campaigns

required art work

all of the above?

Also what has to be factored in is, if it was done as a module to CMBN what would be the impact on loading and running?  I honestly don't know the answer, but from what I understand from comments Steve made on the forum some time ago there was a limit to the amount of material they would load in any one game family.  It is not from my impression a financial decision so much as a performance/support concern.

Eidt- oh thank you Wiggum for your obligatory negative point.  Not sure what about a general statement on possibilities warranted it, but I guess you just feel the need.  <_<

Edited by sburke

Actualy Snarre, I just got off the phone with Steve and he assured me that the game is in the near-term mix, and that sounds very promising, I asked him if he could be a little more specific, and I was surprised when he told me, "It will be released when it is ready."So I hope that helps.

Actualy Snarre, I just got off the phone with Steve and he assured me that the game is in the near-term mix, and that sounds very promising, I asked him if he could be a little more specific, and I was surprised when he told me, "It will be released when it is ready."So I hope that helps.

Smartass.  Gave me a good chuckle though.  Could you hear Charles in the background floating in his jar giggling while making fart bubbles?

By the way, was that Charles that made an appearance in David Lynch's Dune movie ? (hoping someone can find a photo). :)

But anyway I think it's a safe assumption to say the Bulge game will have more content than a normal module.

The short answer is already accurately posted above. Basically, Bulge is too big to be part of Normandy. However, it's not just the Base Game that has to be considered, but also the follow up products. As CMBN has taught us, things get really complicated when we add a bunch of different Modules/Packs to a single Family. By breaking with it, and going with a new one, we "reset" some of those issues and it gives us more flexibility and less headaches. In general, we're thinking 2-3 Modules max for any one Family. Packs are different as they come out later and they require Modules (Modules don't require each other), which makes them not as much of a headache.

Steve