Getting into more complex builds. Is it worth it?

NPye

A few more in-game screens:

A carrier comes off worse than the German Halftrack as usual.

2 New Commercial Builds which works functionally as should.

2 Churchills caught by a Stummel, one from the rear and one from the side.

Fantastic work! it adds lots of authenticity.

Just three words incorrect in french..."Bistrot de Paris" ans not bistot, which means café de Paris.

"Le petit marseillais" come from the town of Marseille, south of France, and i've seen "vins et liqueuRs"...

Everything else seems great, if you need some help i'm here ! :)

Im gonna do a mix like this one below front and back doors to allow entry and be able to leave then a level of photoshop windows then the top section modular windows to allow pixal truppen to fire and observe from. What about that Ian???

Cheers Frenchtouch will get onto this.

My completely photoshopped version on the right and the mix version on the left, not to bad, its such a shame the windows a so small. See what you think??

Cheers

NPye- here's something I haven't tried before for the modular structures (so it may not work)- Could you alpha channel out the modular doors and windows so they don't show at all? If that works, you could Photoshop all of your doors and windows into a set configuration that matches some arrangement available in the modular selection (ex.- door bottom center with window on each side, middle section 3 windows, top section 3 windows). That would allow the troops to still access the structure and use the windows as seen on your textures.

At any rate, I'd like to see them released in any configuration you see fit since they are so great looking. Some will use them, others might not due to the WYSIWYG issues. The independent buildings would surely be  nice to use.

NPye- here's something I haven't tried before for the modular structures (so it may not work)- Could you alpha channel out the modular doors and windows so they don't show at all? If that works, you could Photoshop all of your doors and windows into a set configuration that matches some arrangement available in the modular selection (ex.- door bottom center with window on each side, middle section 3 windows, top section 3 windows). That would allow the troops to still access the structure and use the windows as seen on your textures.

We have discussed this before, Benpark. This what I tried to do with my factory mods for CMRT: I wanted to make damaged windows part of the modular wall structures - and then place "invisible", alpha channeled windows in the same "slots" as the damaged windows. But I have not been able to find a way to make modular building windows transparent. They keep appearing.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I just looked into the Alpha Channel/windows issue. I was able to make the windows "invisible" without an issue. Haven't tried the door yet, but it should be the same.

I used "Window 8" and "window 8u" ("u" stands for upper floors, as it turns out!). I simply filled in the Alpha Channel with black, and they were no longer visible. I also did the same for "detail f", which is the outer part of the window sill. That is also invisible now. This looks pretty good for depicting destroyed buildings.

How this helps as far as applying an entire texture to the modular buildings, I'm not sure. I think that modding the window texture, then incorporating it into the wall texture would be best, but it would take some experimentation At the very least, getting rid of the window sill model (in the "detail" folder) should help.

Remember that you will need to cycle through the models to see the change- the "window 8" only applies to model 8, and so on.

Ah, that's the problem: I use Windows 7!! :D

Seriously: thanks a lot - I'll give it a try

Edit: Just tried it - and it seems to work!! I'll have to try it out a bit more, but if really works this is truly amazing. I'm only rather puzzled why it didn´t work for me in the first many trys. Thanks a lot again. :)

Edited by umlaut

Great, I'm happy it works. I just did a "destroyed" building test without the windows and sills, and it looks pretty good.

I think it is a combination of the window sill piece and the fact that the window is tied to the building- if you don't cycle through, you won't see it.

For keeping one texture that covers the entire modular side/floor AND using the windows and doors, I think you would have to "puzzle piece" the texture together a bit. The placement of doors and windows would be fixed, but it's possible to do quite a bit.

I'd also maybe keep the textures numerically past the existing, stock ones. So the mods would be numbered from "10" on. That would keep the rest of the buildings able to use a multitude of window/door placements.

I think there is one longer window model in RT as well. I'm testing this on a different CM game at the sec.

One other thing to try- what if you replace one of the models that has windows for the solid wall model? I'm not sure if the game engine bases the LoS in this case off of the model itself, or if it calls on which model is in place on the building.

If it is possible to swap one of the window wall models (and line your textures up with where the windows should be) for the solid one, that way you could have the "flat" textures. The solid wall piece is "8-space space space" (for the smaller buildings, higher numbers for the larger). This would take some testing, but it would be WYSIWYG as far as the window and door placement goes. And you could use things like the large doors, etc and have them enterable where the texture shows it to be.

Okay, that seems to work. I just did some model swapping, and the game engine allows LoS based upon the model.

If you want to test this- I used the smallest building model ("8"). Go into the modular buildings folder (Building Walls) in your exploded CM game of choice. Make a copy of the model "space space space" (it's the blank wall). Rename that replace some configuration that you have on your texture. If it has two windows, right and left, use something like "window space window". Copy that name (no need to do anything to the model, we just want the name). Replace the name on your copied "space space space" model, and place it in your Mods folder. That should do it. You can test by setting a unit in the building, cycling through the window configurations and seeing where the solid wall is (that isn't the actual solid wall that appears after the destroyed one).

Now this has an issue- it renders all of the other stock modular structures for that window configuration and size of building rather unusable. Just be sure to not use that window configuration. So reserve "window space window" or something for your new textures (and make sure they match it).

As far as doors go- that's another issue to think about. I'd just use them as is and make your textures around them.