Getting into more complex builds. Is it worth it?

NPye

Hi guys still building, here are some new screens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133293928@N02/19847780318/in/datetaken-public/

I actually knocked out a Jagdpanther with a Baz. Wow

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133293928@N02/19847835540/in/datetaken-public/

12 SS made to look old?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133293928@N02/19847855770/in/datetaken-public/

If this works and the images show ill upload some more, i dont understand why i cant upload direct to the forum like most others? Just previewed I still cant get them to show live, im on a Mac can some one let me know how to make the photos live on the forum please. Cheers

Hi Ian, these are all builds ive made myself, using a combination of photos and graphics and text etc, the problem is this, I can make them look almost photo realistic but this comes at a price, they are a combination of modular builds and commercial and houses, the commercial and houses work fine ie soldiers can enter, leave and fire from the buildings, but to get the asthetic look of a Normandie city or large town I edit the mod builds, i replace the bmps with mine, but i then have to take off all the game windows and doors, effectively making the mod builds just solid walls with my graphics on them, with all the doors and windows off soldiers cant enter or leave or fire from, I dont mind this as i make sure that there are plenty of enterable buildings either side etc, all the shops and apartment are from photos from the Normandie area, which helps give it a Norman flavour, my point of the thread was (if I could manage to show the photos) was is it worth doing, if they are purely for asthetic purposes, this is one of the reasons i haven't uploaded to GAJ, i have so many i really dont know where to start plus i cant get broadband where i live and have to use a dongle which is so slow its not even possible to upload from here, so a few problems to iron out but I really like the look, it really ads tons of atmosphere to game play, I wonder what all you others think?

More screens here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133293928@N02/

Same principle applies in Firefox on the mac - rt click the magnified image and 'Inspect Element" to get at the IMG url.

Image%202015-07-26%20at%2011.56.34%20pm.

Im gonna sound really stupid Wicky what one do i copy mate, sorry for being a div. lol

Hi Ian, these are all builds ive made myself, using a combination of photos and graphics and text

They look fantastic

etc, the problem is this, I can make them look almost photo realistic but this comes at a price, they are a combination of modular builds and commercial and houses, the commercial and houses work fine ie soldiers can enter, leave and fire from the buildings, but to get the asthetic look of a Normandie city or large town I edit the mod builds, i replace the bmps with mine, but i then have to take off all the game windows and doors, effectively making the mod builds just solid walls with my graphics on them, with all the doors and windows off soldiers cant enter or leave or fire from,

Oh, that is a big problem. Having things that look like doors and windows but are not is a big concern. Hummm, what about using your photo realistic images as a starting place and tweaking them so they line up with the game doors and windows.  In other words have the game provide the doors and windows and use the photo realistic graphics to provide the wall that matches.  I know the game can have multiple combinations of doors and windows on a given side of a building.  It would be totally fine for your mod to only work with one combination of doors and windows.  That would be worth it.  I would imagine that you can also mod the doors and windows so you could get a really good look and still have working doors and windows.  Moding is not something I have tried so it is possible I am dreaming in technocolour.

Wow, these are fantastic, NPye!  I thought the one with the 82nd AB troopers was from Call of Duty or something.

If you could work it out like Ian suggests that would be great.  But even if not, you should upload them anyway and we can pick and choose which ones to use, especially when making our own scenarios. (yes, I'm greedy! :)) Besides, checking your Flickr screenies, you have a lot more to offer than just the buildings, like clouds/skies, roads, flavor objects, faces, etc., which all look fantastic.  You're a hell of a modder!

Hurrah ive done it big thanks guys, now i can post at my leisure, the red build I copied from Private Ryan Ramelle scenes.

After careful study of French streets from the 1940s I realised not that much has changed,, ie, the shops have changed and if the town/city hadnt been bombed to much then the buildings still exist pretty much as they where, shops where generally side by side both sides of the street, then there would be industrial areas and historic buildings such as churches and then housesing areas just like today. This street is made up of hundreds of photoshop layers, taking bits from everywhere. Most of the windows are cut out from other builds and used on mine, the shop fronts i found online, then added the french signs and posters and flags to flavour the street up, all original period stuff.

Ive almost completed this one but im not sure what to make it, I intended it to be a college, but it could be used as a chateau, school. What do ya think it should be.

Here's a wider view.

One thing i noticed from my observation that in French towns they use a lot of buildings with large arched doors, probably to fit horse drawn coaches way back, so i made this one.

I stole the look of this one from BOB Its a commercial build and becuse of the limitations of window placement etc, it is based on the build and not a true replica which i have made in a modular build. In this instance it was essential that german soldiers could fire, enter and leave the build so I choose the commercial format.

PS IanL that is something im gonna look into but i know from past experience is you can edit the windows but you cant edit the size of the windows and the frame shape around them, so they wouldnt ne no where near as good as they look now but they would be functional, so worth a try.

What i plan to do in the near future is collate a collection of these buildings and get them on GAJ but there is still a bit of checking to do, ie, windows fit 100% etc then i will use a my mates computer to upload as like i said earlier im on  really slow dongle and its not fast enough to upload from here.

Anyway thanks for your time in viewing and leaving your comments.

Now for something completly different. lol Ok im looking to build a scenario with an airfield, see below:

I think the hangar doors should be bigger as it would be a bit tight to get a Focke Wolfe 190 in there.

Also ive made the runway from the gravel texture, has anyone else made a runway and what texture did you use?

Cheers guys

PS IanL that is something im gonna look into but i know from past experience is you can edit the windows but you cant edit the size of the windows and the frame shape around them, so they wouldnt ne no where near as good as they look now but they would be functional, so worth a try.

Yes, I get that it will not look as perfect as what you have now but function is important. I, personally, cannot see myself using a building texture that looked like it had windows and doors but did not. I suspect I would not be alone in that. Given that I really like how your work looks I would really like to use it :)

So, good luck.

Wow!  That building would be a very nice basis for the Chateau de Luneville.  Combat there did not occur much around the chateau itself.  Your flanking outbuildings would need to be transformed into ornamented living spaces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Lun%C3%A9ville

Situation
The battle of Luneville started on 15th September when two troops of the 42nd Recon Squadron had attempted to take the town by coup de main, however it was strongly held by elements of the 15 Panzer grenadier Division. One the 16th their was fierce fighting in the town elements of the 4th Armored Division’s reserve combat command together with elements of the 42nd Recon Squadron slowly pushed the Germans out of the town, though they still hung on tenaciously in the south east corner. On the 17th the German XLVII Panzer Korps launched a counter attack to re-take the town. Unfortunately this was badly coordinated and the new panzer brigades lacked in training and experience.

Ive almost completed this one but im not sure what to make it, I intended it to be a college, but it could be used as a chateau, school. What do ya think it should be.

I stole the look of this one from BOB Its a commercial build and becuse of the limitations of window placement etc, it is based on the build and not a true replica which i have made in a modular build. In this instance it was essential that german soldiers could fire, enter and leave the build so I choose the commercial format.

Great minds think alike, eh? :D

Here´s my version:

normandie.jpg

screenshot windows

Really great, creative stuff. I am with Ian on the advice to try to get the windows and doors to work in some fashion. I'm also fine with the placements of things like where useable doors have to be. If we even get a few more shop fronts for the ground floors, that would be enough of an improvement. Thanks for sharing the work. It's really impressive.