Task Force Spartan Resolve

If it was open country I would agree.  But, it's heavily wooded with paths - xnt ambush terrain, and the intel briefs us that the roads and paths are patrolled.  One doesn't need "prepared defenses" for ambushes. 

Clearly it worked for you.  But, coming at the scenario for the first time, it seems like a hell of a gamble to move vehicles thru that terrain without inf scouting ahead and on flanks.  (Would be great if someone here with RL modern tactical experience could comment?)

Anyone know if one gets points for exfiltrating?  If one can accomplish the objectives without exiting the map and/or get an enemy surrender giving one a Total Victory that would work.  It seems as if one has to gamble on the Total Victory.  How many casualties did you suffer?

Also, what triggers the 500 points loss to the enemy for the US patrol?  Is it detection, or...?

Edited by Erwin

If it was open country I would agree. But, it's heavily wooded with paths - xnt ambush terrain, and the intel briefs us that the roads and paths are patrolled. One doesn't need "prepared defenses" for ambushes.

Clearly it worked for you. But, coming at the scenario for the first time, it seems like a hell of a gamble to move vehicles thru that terrain without inf scouting ahead and on flanks. (Would be great if someone here with RL modern tactical experience could comment?)

Anyone know if one gets points for exfiltrating? If one can accomplish the objectives without exiting the map and/or get an enemy surrender giving one a Total Victory that would work. It seems as if one has to gamble on the Total Victory. How many casualties did you suffer?

Also, what triggers the 500 points loss to the enemy for the US patrol? Is it detection, or...?

Erwin,

This scenario (and a few others) were meant to a bit unconventional and the scenario's title, "We Own the Night", is indicative of the advantages the US forces have at night. With the prevelence of advanced thermal/IR optics (and a lot of night training to use such tools to advantage) the normal paradigm doesn't apply. It's a different ball game. That opens opportunities that normally wouldn't be prudent.

That's fine.  But, my understanding is that modern Russians also have night vision stuff too.  And in forest, you wouldn't expect to be able to see that far even with "enhanced optics".  Plus, if you are in a vehicle bouncing around on offroad terrain, surely you have a disadvantage.  If you stop regularly to look around, that would slow you to maybe walking pace again.

Don't misunderstand.  I really enjoy the scenario.  But, I do want to have my guys act in a realistic manner.  I plan to play this at least one more time as it is an xnt situation.

Edited by Erwin

So dumb question. When it comes to installing the mods I know where to dump them.

But should i also remove them from their sub-folders? Or can I keep them in their original folders inside the mod folder (thus making a "cleaner" User Data\Mods)?

ex: [...]User Data\Mods\IG's Air Support Chatter v2\aircraft

or take all the .wav from the "aircraft" folder and dump them all in the User Data\Mods (thus making a big mess of my mod folder)

All I can say is that there is a huge difference between thermals and only IR night vision devices. If you have the SR mods, one loading screen shows a view of the new NGV that US forces have in the game, it has both IR and thermal capabilities.

Does really CMBS simulates the difference between the types of infantrymen optics (that US have thermal features). I would guess not. 

Does really CMBS simulates the difference between the types of infantrymen optics (that US have thermal features). I would guess not. 

It most certainly does. Check the difference between US, RUS and UKR infantry during night. US > RUS, RUS > UKR. IIRC only Russian recon infantry have helmet mounted nightvision (no thermal), while all Russians have night vision equipment for their rifles. Not sure if thermal or not. For US almost all troops have both helmet mounted nightsight (mix of thermal and image intensifier) and night sights for their weapons, while for the UKR only some recon troops have image intensifiers on their rifles.

@Erwin, fwiw personally I didn't feel the way I operated my soldiers and vehicles in the first mission as unrealistic. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence of mounted infiltration ops (by spec ops). I did enjoy a spec ops 'feeling' playing the scenario (credits for Imperial Grunt).

Edited by Lethaface

I agree - I wish we had more "spec ops" type scenarios and campaigns.   I like the sneaking around aspect and trying to NOT get noticed until one attacks.  Or, even simply doing recon and not shooting at all(!)  But, that requires more scenario time allowed.  The uncon nature of this scenario is what I find most fascinating.

I still do not understand if one can avoid the 500 point penalty the US player suffers for getting spotted.  That's why I have been replaying it. To see if that can be avoided by not engaging the patrols.  (But, I suspect that as soon as one ambushes the enemy, one suffers the penalty??)

I can understand infiltrating by fast vehicle in open terrain.  I was questioning whether one would do that in forest when presumably the enemy patrols which you know are patrolling the roads and paths could hear you coming for miles.  What I was thinking of trying is having a team or squad recon the likely path for the vehicles to ensure it's safe.

I didn't get to test this scenario during development so was pretty excited to have a go at it as part of the official campaign.

My first run through was disappointing.  While I kept my men alive and eliminated 3 enemy patrols that hit my force- without loss, I reached the ambush point just as the last vehicles exited.

I then went for round two.  More nervous than even my first run through as I knew i had to move faster with a higher risk factor and there are multiple AI plans so I could not count on any intel I had learned.  As it was I made the ambush point in 19 minutes with one slight brush with a patrol that resulted in no casualties for either side.

I sent the sniper team on overwatch of the bridge to alert me of the approaching convoy and then distributed my teams.

TFSR%20001_zpszkxhbdym.jpg

One squad and both MG teams were set to hit the main ambush area along with the HQ unit.  One team was put on security detail if anything approached from the other way.  Three teams crossed the road and moved into the woods to prevent anyone escaping and two teams were held back  to cut off the road from any retreat.

The sniper team reports the convoy crossing the stream.

TFSR%20002_zpsp7cointv.jpg

The first vehicle is ambushed.

TFSR%20003_zps2zhayujb.jpg

MG team firing

TFSR%20004_zpsmh96ling.jpg

Engineer team across road hits them in a crossfire.

TFSR%20005_zpsjfap9kp7.jpg

Edited by sburke

The second vehicle provides the only return fire, a brief ineffective burst before the vehicle is hit with an onslaught of fire.
TFSR%20006_zpscfcydqvk.jpg

As the tail vehicles halt before the ambush my flanking teams closed off the road from either side hitting them from the rear.  The slaughter is complete.

TFSR%20007_zpsnfsj6nji.jpg

Having destroyed the convoy I was now faced with the dilemma of what to do next.  The obvious choice was to hit OBJ Nightmare.  I have my transport force coming and need to secure the zone.  If I am going to tackle Objectives Night and fear, I need to move with some urgency.  Hoofing it is not an option.

Fortunately Obj Nightmare falls pretty easily.  I suffer one wounded by getting lax and crossing a road that turns out not to be secured.  The rest of the force mounts up though and it is off to hit the enemy while confusion reigns.

Which brings us to one of those classic wego turns..... Gawd I love this game.

The raiding force has mounted up, in the lead is the sniper team riding in an M1151 mounting an M240B.  The turn starts and within moments the vehicle runs into an enemy foot patrol and all hell breaks loose. The gunner lets rip as the enemy opens fire with small arms and grenades.  Initially he only spots a pair of soldiers, but it soon becomes clear he is facing a few more... and then he gets hit.

TFSR%20008_zpsqqoduc23.jpg

TFSR%20009_zpsjjklh4cg.jpg

TFSR%20010_zpst5akwmwh.jpg

You can just make out the first of probably a half dozen grenades that come flying at the vehicle.

TFSR%20011_zpsjwu4m2pf.jpg

This is about the third to go off, they have all been short or wide of the mark, but this luck can't last.  For some reason the driver froze up. The vehicle is sitting still.

TFSR%20012_zpsfmss2xqf.jpg

Edited by sburke

Then apparently the sniper team decides to take matters into their own hands and mans the gun.

Despite the continuing enemy fusillade, the brave grunt takes out the first enemy infantryman.

TFSR%20013_zps4xn3ge6s.jpg

Grenades continue to explode, but undeterred he continues to fire.

TFSR%20014_zpsghgqogbt.jpg

The enemy has had enough and breaks.

TFSR%20015_zps3p50v9ao.jpg

Eventually this same gunner/vehicle will eliminate the other 5 members of that patrol after they get caught against the stream bank.

Having eliminated that obstacle, Lt West's unit will split up to hit Objectives Fear and night.

Obj Fear - the target of the XO, the FO, the sniper team and their 3 M1151's.  Most of the destruction is from Mortar fire called in by the XO and FO.  The rest of the force led by Lt West  assaulted Obj Dark.

TFSR%20019_zpschnbzji8.jpg

The final tally.  A good night's work.  We own the night.
TFSR%20020_zps6z3xf1hr.jpg

Spoilers about crash site mission:

In my opinion this is the weakest of the missions in the campaign. The fact that Russian units are everywhere already takes me out of the experience of the mission. Looks more like an attack mission.

I just assumed that the concept and layout is because you'd usually expect an aircraft (airplane or helicopter) to go down behind enemy lines. The enemy would go all out to capture that pilot or crew member for intelligence interrogation. Ergo, surronding the aircrew. That's why you'd have long-range teams in to extract, especially if you couldn't get a "Jolly Green" in there to make the pickup.

I just assumed that the concept and layout is because you'd usually expect an aircraft (airplane or helicopter) to go down behind enemy lines. The enemy would go all out to capture that pilot or crew member for intelligence interrogation. Ergo, surronding the aircrew. That's why you'd have long-range teams in to extract, especially if you couldn't get a "Jolly Green" in there to make the pickup.

Yep, that was my intent with the AI plans.

I found that I couldn't get to the ambush site in time by moving in a way that I thought was careful/prudent and stealthy. However, since the convoy does not appear to move away from the first objective, it's easy to destroy it with the 120mm mortars.

In my first attempt at the scenario I put my snipers and a MG team at the bottom of the open space. Once the enemy was spotted, I moved the FO there and used the mortars. After that one only needs one squad to mop up.

For my next run thru I think I will leave one squad or a couple teams (so they can acquire extra rockets when the vehicles turn up) and recon a path for the vehicles. The third team along with the HQ and a MG team can recon ahead to the next objectives.

Edited by Erwin