What do you think the first module of Black Sea would be?

I've seen Ukraine's VDV and possibly national guard using BTR-80s with slat armor added, so there's already a potential new vehicle version for them. 

Good point sir. Just a quick note - Ukrainian "VDV proper" consists of one brigade (25th VDV brigade based in Dnepropetrovsk). This formation uses (or at least used to deploy) BMD-1/2 IFVs. There are 3 more (79th, 80th, 95th) air-mobile brigades with similar training and traditions as "VDV proper"; but they are BTR-based. Either way though, Ukrainian forces have been quick to adopt slat armor on their APCs and IFVs; so it would be a very welcomed addition in CMBS.

Until now I have seen pictures of BTR-80, BMP-2 and BTR-4E with cage armor kits on. Maybe this is not a huge difference, but I belive that these variants could be of some use on the field in CMBS.

Yep. As I've said, Ukrainians have been very quick to embrace the SLAT armor concept. They seem to be eager to mount them on any kind of AFV and even on stationary fortifications (bunkers). These modifications are often times done on ad-hoc basis and don't always follow an ideal methodology (i.e. SLAT cages are positioned too close to organic armor, SLAT material is too fragile and welded at wrong angles); but in general such improvised addons have proven to be quite effective in mitigating the damage from RPGs.

If I remember rightly in the Battlefronts plan for the next year thread. It was mentioned that current families in Black Sea would be expanded before a module would come along. Does this mean that there will be units added as we go along to existing formations in patches I wonder?

There are certainly units missing. Just a few I can think of off the top of my head: BMP-1 for Ukraine, Grad for Ukraine and Russia, T-80UE for Russia, base model T-84 for Ukraine, ZSU-23-4 for both sides, ZU-23 for both sides.

If I remember rightly in the Battlefronts plan for the next year thread. It was mentioned that current families in Black Sea would be expanded before a module would come along. Does this mean that there will be units added as we go along to existing formations in patches I wonder?

There are certainly units missing. Just a few I can think of off the top of my head: BMP-1 for Ukraine, Grad for Ukraine and Russia, T-80UE for Russia, base model T-84 for Ukraine, ZSU-23-4 for both sides, ZU-23 for both sides.

Those are all great points bud. I would love to see BMP-1 and BMP-2 models with no ATGMS mounted on them; as that seems to be quite a common way to deploy them (not to mention that such addition would require minimal effort). I would also love to see BMP-1s for the pro-Russian unconventional forces as they seem to be the mainstay of DNR/LNR motor-rifle units IRL.

Also, it would be nice to see standard T-72Bs which are still used in large numbers by Russian and DNR/LNR forces; and are also supposed to enter service with Ukrainian Army/National Guard once their "de-conservation" is completed.

Edited by DreDay

Agreed on unconventional forces for both sides with older equipment (i.e. BMP-1s, ZU-23-2s, gun-trucks, etc.); and also VDV/USMC in order to add elite light infantry force with unique equipment for both sides.While I am certainly not opposed to Ukrainian National Guard (as in former Interior Troops) either; it would be much more difficult to find a unique niche for them; as they mostly share their OOB with other BTR-based infantry units.

They do have some unique kit like a different version of the t-64B1M and variety of armored mrap type vehicles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_of_the_National_Guard_of_Ukraine

Until now I have seen pictures of BTR-80, BMP-2 and BTR-4E with cage armor kits on. Maybe this is not a huge difference, but I belive that these variants could be of some use on the field in CMBS.

I asked about this awhile back and Mikey Ds reply was they were against slat armor being added to the Ukr vehicles because of the amount of tandem warhead at weapons in-game would make it pointless. I kinda agree...

It makes sense with the amount of PG7VRs in the Russian inf squads but with uncons added there would be a situation where slat would be worthwhile. See with uncons and their mix of kit you would see much more single stage rpgs in their hands like PG7VL VM V and just a few VR here and there depending on equipment quality.

The added workload might be a pita for Bfc so i would be suprised if they change their opinion in the future.

Those are all great points bud. I would love to see BMP-1 and BMP-2 models with no ATGMS mounted on them; as that seems to be quite a common way to deploy them (not to mention that such addition would require minimal effort). I would also love to see BMP-1s for the pro-Russian unconventional forces as they seem to be the mainstay of DNR/LNR motor-rifle units IRL.

Also, it would be nice to see standard T-72Bs which are still used in large numbers by Russian and DNR/LNR forces; and are also supposed to enter service with Ukrainian Army/National Guard once their "de-conservation" is completed.

Russia uses ATGMs as a standard on the BMP-2s you are able to dismount it and use it on the ground infantry role. Would be cool if you could dismount the AT-5B missile.

Good point sir. Just a quick note - Ukrainian "VDV proper" consists of one brigade (25th VDV brigade based in Dnepropetrovsk). This formation uses (or at least used to deploy) BMD-1/2 IFVs. There are 3 more (79th, 80th, 95th) air-mobile brigades with similar training and traditions as "VDV proper"; but they are BTR-based. Either way though, Ukrainian forces have been quick to adopt slat armor on their APCs and IFVs; so it would be a very welcomed addition in CMBS.

They don't have a proper VDV, period. VDV has to be jump qualified and Ukranians have nothing to jump from (or money for fuel). Google Shkirjak's Nepal rescue to get an idea of where Ukrainian MoD's post-Maidan medium and heavy lift capability is.

Airmobile is not really airmobile either, since there are maybe two dozen reliably working combat helicopters left. I'll eat my hat if 90% of current "airmobile" have seen what the inside of a helicopter looks like.

Best of what they inherited is happily flying in African conflict zones, together with crews. The rest were left to rot, with Belbek being a good indication (4 semi-operational airframes out of 60 and change).

Edited by Red Rage

Russia uses ATGMs as a standard on the BMP-2s you are able to dismount it and use it on the ground infantry role. Would be cool if you could dismount the AT-5B missile.

Yes of course, I totally agree that such option would be very useful and realistic; but that is an entirely different matter. I was referring to many BMP-1/2s going into combat without ATGM launchers mounted on them, as evidenced by extensive combat footage.

They don't have a proper VDV, period. VDV has to be jump qualified and Ukranians have nothing to jump from (or money for fuel). Google Shkirjak's Nepal rescue to get an idea of where Ukrainian MoD's post-Maidan medium and heavy lift capability is.

Airmobile is not really airmobile either, since there are maybe two dozen reliably working combat helicopters left. I'll eat my hat if 90% of current "airmobile" have seen what the inside of a helicopter looks like.

Best of what they inherited is happily flying in African conflict zones, together with crews. The rest were left to rot, with Belbek being a good indication (4 semi-operational airframes out of 60 and change).

As far as I know, 25th Airborne Brigade had practiced (relatively) regular para drops prior to this crisis. Also, all the airmobile personnel (i.e. 79th, 80th, and 95th brigades) were para-qualified. Now, their priorities might have shifted due to the current crisis; but CMBS storyline is based on an alternate chain of events.

They do have some unique kit like a different version of the t-64B1M and variety of armored mrap type vehicles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_of_the_National_Guard_of_Ukraine

That's actually a good point. If we are to have rebel/militia type forces; then the MRAP and other lightly armored vehicles of National Guard would be a welcomed addition. They could also be given some "westernized" small arms like TAR-21 made by RTC FORT and some advanced sniper rifles.

Russian VDV and Naval Infantry clashing with USMC over Odessa along with the addition of unconventional/militia forces for both sides.

I have mentioned it before a couple of times - Russian Naval Infantry has pretty much the same structure as BTR motor-rifle battalions; albeit they are privy to higher training standards and fighting spirit - still though, they can be modeled in CMBS already. VDV and USMC on another hand, use entirely unique equipment and OOB - their addition would bring some much needed new blood into the game.

I have mentioned it before a couple of times - Russian Naval Infantry has pretty much the same structure as BTR motor-rifle battalions; albeit they are privy to higher training standards and fighting spirit - still though, they can be modeled in CMBS already. VDV and USMC on another hand, use entirely unique equipment and OOB - their addition would bring some much needed new blood into the game.

Not exactly like, RPK is still used at squad level as the mmg. Pictures from crimea show this. Also support assets would be different. Ka-29 would need to be added as helicopter support. Any similarity should mean they would be easy to code in then, large output (a new "faction") for very little input.

a NATO module.. adding some more nations.. it will be logical imo.. 

like.. the conflict gets spread or out or of control as a result of which some of the immediate NATO nations like france, germany and UK engages in europe while the US pulled back to regroup and reinforce.

Not exactly like, RPK is still used at squad level as the mmg. Pictures from crimea show this. Also support assets would be different. Ka-29 would need to be added as helicopter support. Any similarity should mean they would be easy to code in then, large output (a new "faction") for very little input.

You are correct, old friend. There are a few small differences between Russian motor-rifle and naval-infantry armaments and org structure; and Naval Infantry's use of RPK-74s at squad level (only God knows why) is one of such distinctions. Don’t' get me wrong, I would love to see Russian Naval Infantry and a whole host of other Russian/Ukrainian/US specialized units. However, VDV and USMC are very much on top of my wish list due to their very unique armament and OOB.

I'd like to see some Leo's!

Maybe there is some chance left for the Dutch to venture into CMBS, as our government has decided to keep some Leo2a6 in the light of recent events. What a surprise ;)

Love to see USMC and VDV too, although seperatists and Poland are high on my list as well. Like Germany, UK and France. Then Canada, Italy, Turkey, Spain, Australia, Norway, perhaps the Swedes? and who knows the Armata/Kurganets/Bumerang family.

I guess the backstory would need some spiffin up in the case that NATO builds up a coalition that large, but it's a game right ;)

Edited by Lethaface

You are correct, old friend. There are a few small differences between Russian motor-rifle and naval-infantry armaments and org structure; and Naval Infantry's use of RPK-74s at squad level (only God knows why) is one of such distinctions. Don’t' get me wrong, I would love to see Russian Naval Infantry and a whole host of other Russian/Ukrainian/US specialized units. However, VDV and USMC are very much on top of my wish list due to their very unique armament and OOB.

Oh aye, don't get me wrong VDV would be very fun to have. Verba MANPAD, BMD-1/2/3/4 series, BTR-MDM Rakushka, Sprut-SD and Sprut-SDM just to name a few.

Oh aye, don't get me wrong VDV would be very fun to have. Verba MANPAD, BMD-1/2/3/4 series, BTR-MDM Rakushka, Sprut-SD and Sprut-SDM just to name a few.

Right on, ma man. I am not entirely sure if there are any BMD-1s or BMD-3s left in active duty anymore; but let's also not forget BRD-ZD, BTR-RD, 2S9, and a whole host of other support vehicles. It would also be really interesting to figure out the proper tactics for BMD’s 5-man squads and to see how much their superior training and morale can account for relatively small squad size. Much of the same would apply to USMC (besides small squad size) as well. There are certainly plenty of other add-ons that would be a welcomed addition. However, I can't think of any that would add more realism, challenge, and pure enjoyment as VDV and USMC…