What do you think the first module of Black Sea would be?

I just bought Shock Force due the price and to my knowledge that's the only Combat Mission that offers some unconventional warfare (IED's & Spies) which is really hard to achieve in other Combat Mission Games (Normandy, Red Thunder) but in a game with a fictitious battle with NATO & Ukraine vs RU; I think unconventional warfare would be beneficial. I would hope to see a expansion for militia as the troops currently fighting in Ukraine are either rushed musters or civilians. Ukraine's not winning a head on fight against Russia. Realistically they would adapt to guerrilla tactics such as ambushes. Militia can also be offered for both sides of the fight which in my opinion makes a decent expansion for Black Sea.

Edited by thryckz

Welcome to the forum.  I would also like to see unconventional type warfare in CMBS.  Also non-combatants are cool for different rescue type operations. In CMSF I used the spies to create a consulate rescue scenario.  It would be fun to make similar scenarios in CMBS.    

A platoon of Marines and 20 non-combatants are under siege at a consulate.  Your mission is to go get them, load them onto your Strykers (or whatever you have for transport) and move them to the exit zone.  (This is the one I did in CMSF)

The last group of allied non-combatants is waiting evacuation at the airfield.  The airspace is no longer safe for transport aircraft.  Your mission is to reach the airfield before the hostile forces and evacuate the noncombatants over the last open road connecting the city.      

A friendly research vessel was seized and the crew taken prisoner.  It is believed the crew is held in a compound in a hostile port.  Find, secure and evacuate the crew.  OPFOR reinforcements are 20 minutes away from the compound.

Free POWs and bring them back to friendly lines.  

Welcome to the forum.  I would also like to see unconventional type warfare in CMBS.  Also non-combatants are cool for different rescue type operations. In CMSF I used the spies to create a consulate rescue scenario.  It would be fun to make similar scenarios in CMBS.    

A platoon of Marines and 20 non-combatants are under siege at a consulate.  Your mission is to go get them, load them onto your Strykers (or whatever you have for transport) and move them to the exit zone.  (This is the one I did in CMSF)

That is a fun scenario

thryckz,

Welcome aboard!

Am expecting NATO member Poland at a minimum, given a diverse set of infantry weapons (including US), ex-Bundeswehr Leopards, distinctive indigenous AFVs and a bunch of ex-Russian and licensed Russian AFVs, complete with the Poles' own upgrades. They also have lots of Hummers. Thus, the Polish Army would be a good transition point for BFC into NATO, since a great deal of work on the gear has already been done, The Poles are very well trained and highly motivated not to be again devoured by the Bear. I'm pretty sure Steve has said there are plans in hand to depict the so-called pro-Russian separatists, and there have been cries for civilians and civilian vehicles, too. If the separatists are in, then I'd consider it likely the Ukrainian volunteer battalions would also be modeled. Quite a few of us want Spec Ops troops, with considerable numbers, including me, wanting Spetsnaz and SEALs. Poland has its own very capable Spec Ops unit called GROM. It has worked with the SEALS both in training and operationally. GROM is ranked in the top ten Spec Ops units on the planet. It also shares a lot of kit in common: helmets, body armor, transceivers, HK 416s with all the bells and whistles, LMGs (some of the Russian persuasion) and such. Drool. Steve has said CMBS isn't suited to Spec Ops, but already people have begun figuring out how to get at least a reasonable approximation of SEALs by using Elite troops, NVGs, top Fitness ratings and other game chrome. I guarantee you there are scenarios being crafted which reflect the kinds of missions the SEALs would conduct, too. One thing is sure. Whatever the Module is, it won't be boring!

Regards,

John Kettler

+1! Unconventionals are a must have for any modern conflict. Just look at the world around us: Ukraine, Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Libya, Gaza, Sudan, Somalia, they are all basically counter-insurgency operations/civil wars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_2011%E2%80%93present

Unconventional combatants and militias are going to be here for a long time to come.

To edit the Consulate evacuation scenario, the Marines need to get into AAV's and travel an oddly wide body of water to escape.  They all become violently ill inside due to sea-sickness and the smell, and newly added authentic swearing increases the game's PG value to Teen.

Realistic expectations:

We'll probably see VDV if we are lucky and either an extra NATO country or a US branch. If we are unlucky - a couple of added Russian vehicles and either an extra NATO country or a US branch. A (really) short campaign or two to demo the new toys. 

Wishful thinking:

-Legacy kit  from all the previous Shock Force titles and Afghanistan. Going to inferior module A to play with T-55 and then going to new and shiny module B for T-64 is extremely annoying. I wouldn't mind (modded) Arma-like encyclopedia/sandbox of kit, which was not necessarily attached to specific formations or the canon "storyline". This will allow to take scenarios way beyond Ukraine and simulate practically anything from the last 30 years. I honestly cannot tell any difference in quality between SF and BS as far as vehicle poly counts and ingame performance go, so a straight up conversion shouldn't look out of place. 

-Building up on the last point, it would be nice to see circa 1999-2004 infantry formations for both Rus and US to greatly expand scenario options.

-Shock Force and Afghanistan terrains (which can pass for Tajikistan, Chechnya, Dagestan and Afghanistan).

-Uncons of DNR variety (i.e., with proper formations and support assets) as well as the more durka-durka types. Civilian vehicles for uncons (small buses/vans/suvs in particular)

-More defensive structures (e.g., Concrete panel blockpost, sandbag blockpost, ability to "dig in" inside buildings and etc.)

-CMBB tunneling brought back without the random egress point factor to increase infantry mobility and survivability (i.e., most major buildings connected by sewage grids in city maps and an ability to purchase trench-like "tunnels" for villages and small cities to connect various structures). 

-More Air-defense assets! Mostly useless as far as gameplay value goes, since most players would purchase arty over air assets, but seeing them work is fun, they look cool, and can also be made into authentic mission objectives. S-300 battery would be jawdropping (if a little overkill), but I'd be super happy with just Tor and Pantsir.

-Infantry overhaul for urban combat (stacking, throwing grenades prior to entry, more aggressive breaches).

-Distinguishing visual characteristics for recon troops (and possible future special forces). Gorka/bandanas for Rus and bush hats for US + camo faces even daytime for everyone would do the trick to capture the essence imho. 

I believe that BTS has hinted that they're planning to return to modern warfare in an arid environment with a remade Shock Force (or something like it).  Obviously this wouldn't be a module but a separate game.

There has been some discussion of what people might like here.

Edited by Holman

redrage every modules added forces to both sides so i highly doubt itll just be a nato branch and a few russ vehicles. i bet russ and us marines will show up. maybe vdv.. and separtists. though not necesarilly in one module

Shock Force modules were slim pickings for opfor. Afghanistan was '70s-'80s opfor heaven though. 

Marines could be an interesting way to get some older gear in the game. T-62 loaded with old school K1 ERA and ghetto rigged with meshes serving as gun trucks for crack light infantry ftw!

Any modern war game is going to feature lopsided equipment lists.  NATO has a huge variety of vehicles and weapon systems, but Russia just has Russia's.  And pretty much any enemy force (besides China's) will just be using older Russian kit.

I knew you were going to mention SF. Not as lopsided as you think iirc they added formations to the Syrian Army. And the NATO module i remember for a fact added the zsu, other equip and red air... and thats the only game thats been like that. every single subsequent module has followed a formula of sorts

I would be very happy with a NATO nation such as Germany or Britain. This would bring new vehicles and other toys to the game with their own flavors, and I would think it would be relatively easy to do seeing as they already released both of these nations for Shock Force. I imagine a lot of the ground work has already been done and it would be a simple matter of modernizing the nations to a 2017 standard.

Regardless I am excited for whatever comes, and will surely pick it up, whatever/whenever that may be.

My view is that Black Sea should get

1 Pro Russian and Ukrainian miiltias

2 Russian Spetznaz

3 Eastern European NATO. Definitely Poland and Baltic States. These are very likely to be dragged into this conflict. Maybe Romania could also be dragged into the war (a Russian escalation into Moldova etc)

4 Western European NATO UK, German and (because we haven't had them elsewhere) France. The LeClerc would be pretty col to play.

5 US Marines, obviously. Semper Fi  :D

What I belive the first module will bring:

VDV for Ukraine and Russia

Marines for US

Next modules?

-NATO (probably just like CMSF, one main army plus a couple more from western NATO)

-Eastern countries (Poland first of all)

-irregulars/volunteer formations

-Russian marines

What NATO countries I'd like to see? Germany and Great Britain are very obvious, maybe too much, but they are just needed. France and Italy are in my opinion very interesting and would bring something new to the game in terms of flavor.

Uncons,VDV, and Ukr National Guard at some point would be nice.

Agreed on unconventional forces for both sides with older equipment (i.e. BMP-1s, ZU-23-2s, gun-trucks, etc.); and also VDV/USMC in order to add elite light infantry force with unique equipment for both sides.

While I am certainly not opposed to Ukrainian National Guard (as in former Interior Troops) either; it would be much more difficult to find a unique niche for them; as they mostly share their OOB with other BTR-based infantry units.

GRU spetsnaz would be a nice addition, buyable as separate platoons. Special forces could be abstracted by crazy spotting and concealment bonuses as well as higher survivability vs small arms and shrapnel (increased "health" basically) to simulate quicker reactions to sudden contact. Red side is due for some better marksman teams as well - SVD is nice and all, but it's not really operationally used as a dedicated sniper platform in RuAF anymore (SV-98 or AI L96 or could be the primary, with spotter sporting VS-VAL; or the authentic Ratnik gear pairing - 6V7M1 - for primary). Ratnik tweaks would only be welcome, since what we have now is not really Ratnik (or rather not even 30% of full Ratnik package, with fairly ineffective body armor, despite the very impressive real-life performance of aramid weave in both weight and stopping power (Ratnik vests are even dampened against contusion damage from non-penetrating hits; combat uniforms that come with the package are shrapnel resistant), and practically zero net-centric features).

GRU spetsnaz would be a nice addition, buyable as separate platoons. Special forces could be abstracted by crazy spotting and concealment bonuses as well as higher survivability vs small arms and shrapnel (increased "health" basically) to simulate quicker reactions to sudden contact. Red side is due for some better marksman teams as well - SVD is nice and all, but it's not really operationally used as a dedicated sniper platform in RuAF anymore (SV-98 or AI L96 or could be the primary, with spotter sporting VS-VAL; or the authentic Ratnik gear pairing - 6V7M1 - for primary). Ratnik tweaks would only be welcome, since what we have now is not really Ratnik (or rather not even 30% of full Ratnik package, with fairly ineffective body armor, despite the very impressive real-life performance of aramid weave in both weight and stopping power (Ratnik vests are even dampened against contusion damage from non-penetrating hits; combat uniforms that come with the package are shrapnel resistant), and practically zero net-centric features).

SOF for all three sides would be a welcomed addition. Please take a look at the past discussions regarding this topic, as it has been brought up quite a bit...

I also agree that Russians and Ukrainias could use a few better-armed elite sniper teams. I am thinking along the lines of Steyr-Mannlicher SSG 04 and Truvelo .50BMG/OSV-96 for the Russians and Barret M82 along with some western 7.62x51/.308 rifled for the Ukrainians.