Allied AAR - CMPzC Campaign: The Road to Eindhoven - Dommelen Battle (hex 1, 6)

"And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu... Friar: "skip a bit, brother"... And the LORD spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

Or something kinda like that....:D

Good old Monty Python. 

https://youtu.be/ashgP4YMdJw

2nd Battle of Dommelin

Minutes 9-6

(non-story account)

Not much has changed during these three minutes, other than the German advance along the river seems to have been blunted and stopped.  See the map below for the current dispositions:

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-01%20at%2010.08.

Since there was really no story line heroics/disasters after the shooting of the Jagdpanther in the last minute, I thought I would give an overall account of what is going on as if I am just the "gaming guy". 

So my FOO who was in Dommelin (and who had called a lot of arty/mortar fire down upon the paras from the church tower) decided to flee when he noticed paras VERY close to him. It was a near run thing. The FOO raced downstairs, climbed into the jeep and off he sped towards the remaining Shermans. You can see the icon above, top left in the pic. Those Shermans have been engaging paras since the beginning (and still are) at long range and inflicting significant casualties. They are basically hiding from two Jagdpanthers (see their "ghost" icons in the plowed field, top center of pic). One of those panzers just spotted and fired at one Sherman late in the 6th minute, so I am popping smoke and moving again. Oh, and a Typhoon is on its way to hopefully eliminate those two.

Now, the Jadgpanther you can see in the center of the photo was the one Cpl Noble engaged. He thought he killed it until the crew bailed out...but it is still functional. Some (and maybe all) of the crew have been engaged and killed.  In any case, I have a two man anti-tank section about to lob grenades at it next turn. Meanwhile the final panzer that you see on the center right of the photo has been advancing alone and looking for juicy targets.

Trying to figure out the new German main effort has been problematical.  He was advancing paras in some force along the riverbank, but a combo of mortars, arty, and small arms fire has curtailed that.  Now he seems to be withdrawing elements in the center towards the right, so I expect a right flanking (his left) is in the mix, although this battle is coming to an end soon so maybe he is just shoring up a hasty defence in Valkenswaard.  If that is the case, I am happy with what I did this battle, overall.  The main allied force has been largely preserved by my withdrawal, and I have caused significant infantry casualties during his long advance with indirect fire, tank fire, and small arms. He has the advantage so far in tank kills, however, but I managed to get one of those fat MkIVs (for you Heinrich, lol) and I may get some more retribution soon from an aerial friend. One thing is certain: this has been another bloody affair.

Chappy, grenade the monster or it might come back next round to wreek it's revenge...

That APDS was fantastic! I love the tiny hole it made in the side of the Jagdpanther :)

That is my intention, however most of the crew (maybe all of them) are dead, so it is a moot point, but still I want to see it flame :)

I wish we had more APDS rounds!

Chappy,

Good review of the action so far.  I was wondering if the FOO escaped.  The enemy was getting close.  The little details are always such a plus in this game.  That he had to run downstairs, jump in the jeep, and then race for his life is such a big part of the game. 

I've done that with my guys before, and when they escape harm it is a really great feeling.  On the flip side, I've waited too long to evacuate a rear guard and have to watch them all get cut down.  Never a good feeling.  One minute less and they might have made the next trench line, at least with some survivors.  

Heinrich505

2nd Battle of Dommelin

Minutes 6-(+3)

The 2nd Battle for Dommelin is over!  The result was a draw....the Irish have maintained control of Deelshurk and the woods to the west, while the Germans re-took Dommelin and maintained a grip on Valkensgaard. 

I am convinced that if I had not withdrawn my forces south at the start of the battle, I would have been defeated in detail. The Germans had way too many paras, vehicles, arty and they would have steamrolled over me as I would have tried to defend in small pockets.  As it was, I forced the paras to advance a long distance in the open, allowing my arty, mortars and tanks to ravage them constantly from afar. The four Jagdpanthers were a problem though, and without doubt they won the tank battle portion of the battle. If you looked at the pictures I posted, I had peppered his panzers with 75mm shot that was totally ineffective at longer range - no surprise, but one can always hope for a critical hit.  As it was, a combination of one APDS round and grenades from an infantryman killed one (see below)

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-06%20at%206.15.3

Above:   "Grenade!"

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-06%20at%206.15.4

Above:  scratch one Jagdpanther

In the final minutes of the battle, Cpl Noble and his 6lber crew once again displayed their skill in immobilising another:

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-10%20at%205.21.2

Above:  2nd Jagdpanther out of the battle....immobilised

The RAF was a total bust. They arrived way too late to be of any importance. I was relying on them to knock out at least one of the Jagdpanthers. One finally showed up, and proceeded to target already dead paras:

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-10%20at%205.20.5

Above:  Pssst. Hey RAF...see those giant metal things a couple hundred meters away?  Yeah we really needed you to hit them, and not the already dead guys....

This battle illustrated the point that sometimes you just have to withdraw and give up ground in order to survive and prepare for future operations.  It was fun and I am looking forward to the 3rd Battle of Dommelin...

Very nice coverage of the battle.  Thanks for posting.  It is tough still working this one with all the new toys in the CMFB site drawing viewers away.

Kohl probably has some ideas of pulling the audience back but he'd get in hot water like before... :o

Looking forward to the next installment.

Heinrich505

Thanks Heinrich!  You are one of the few who read these and even fewer who comment.  Much appreciated!

Coming late to the party as I was so focused on our Bloody Christmas campaign I wasn't even cruising this topic at all! That being the case, the entire AAR served as a great Sunday morning treat :D Loads of action, compelling narrative and an ample supply of heroes (and the occasional donkey). It's neat to see the tactical plan laid out at the start and compare it to how closely it follows the actual battle. With those Jagmonsters, it was no surprise some desperation measures were required and that the battle plan had to experience some alterations. Looking forward to the next installment and watching the flyboys disgrace themselves again by being late and off target!