CMBN or CMFI?

Hello

i have to make a purchase between the following two games.

CMBN+ Market garden ($90)

CMFI+gustave line ($75 with the v 3.0 upgrade)

now what i am confused about is simply this.

which one has more content? 

from content i mean more missions and campaigns??

Also are there airborne units in fortress italy? like 101 and 82? 

thanks

Hi Chohan,  you may also want to clarify whether you just mean 'more content' as part of the commercial package, or additionally the user-created scenarios and campaigns on the repository...

I am in somewhat similar position, though I am still working my way through all the demoes (including BS)

Edited by gnarly

Hi Chohan,  you may also want to clarify whether you just mean 'more content' as part of the commercial package, or additionally the user-created scenarios and campaigns on the repository...

I am in somewhat similar position, though I am still working my way through all the demoes (including BS)

from content i meant missions and pretty much that.. quick battle missions, maps and campaign.... units will be more offcourse .. but the play time that is.. i havent done any user created content thought (i have combat mission black ea already)

BN has more content. It's been out longer.

I really would recommend seeing if you can stretch to the full BN-CW-MG bundle, though. Even more content, more units (there's German and CW stuff in CW that's not in MG).

going for all three modules is very difficult for me as i already am stretching my budget with $90.. for some reason i dont like the common wealth countries so i wont be playing them :P (unless the CW module gives more US and german units)

going for all three modules is very difficult for me as i already am stretching my budget with $90.. for some reason i dont like the common wealth countries so i wont be playing them :P (unless the CW module gives more US and german units)

The CW module does, indeed, provide more German units. I don't think there are any new American formations or gear though. There are additional missions, of course, and another German campaign, even if you don't want to play as CW, so long as you don't mind playing against them; but if you just don't want to see a Bren, Sten Churchill or helmet with a brim, MG isn't going to be much good to you either... :). Without it, I believe you will be missing several core/interesting German formations and tools (basic SS PzGr, Porsche turret KT, JagdPanther). There are some close equivalents in MG, but I believe there are differences; the CW page isn't as comprehensively broken down wrt formations included as MG is on its page.

One thing to consider is what portion of the war interests you the most? CMFI and GL lets you fight from about July 1943 until the Anzio invasion in early 1944.
I prefer that time frame. CMBN + Mg only gives you June 1944 through September 1944. There isn't as much user made content out for the FI family, but there is still 1 more module to go for it. CMBN stops at Market Garden, at least for now.

Edited by Jim1954

BN has much more user made content, as it seems to appeal to more players than FI.

My advice is:
Don´t let your aversion to Commonwealth be pivotal to your choice. I wasn´t at all interested in playing as Commonwealth forces when I began playing CM2. Now they are my favorites. Anyway, they are in both game families - and as the previous posters said: If you weed out the CW forces, you simultaneously weed out some germans formations as well.

Also bear in mind that most scenario designers have all the modules of the game family, so if you discard one of the modules many of the user made scenarios will probably be unplayable to you.

In my opnion, you should base your choice on the theatre of operations:

Do I prefer to fight in the bocage of Normandy and the green fields of Netherlands? Or would I rather fight in the scorched hills and snowy mountains of Italy?

There are US airborne formations in FI. Don´t know exactly which.

Yep, Umlaut's last thoughts are an important consideration.

CMFI is quite different from CMBN in terms of terrain and units. Terrain wise, it is mostly beautiful Italian hill country, compared to the rather flat north-west European terrain.

Unit wise, you get stranger, more outdated vehicles than in CMBN. E.g, just the occassional Tiger, no fancy King Tigers, etc.

And of course the weather: scorching Italian summer heat compared to rainy French summer.

So, if you have to choose, you should not only consider the (user made) content, but also what environment you prefer.

I love them both. And the Russian plains...

They both are good games, but offer different play styles because of the terrain. Italy is more open with many more hills, which translates to using different tactics than in boccage country. Infantry tire more quickly in CMFI becuase of the terrain too. Becuase of  all this both games have different "feels" despite using the same engine. Infact this is true of all the games.

It is a tough call, and you really can't go wrong either way, BUT if i had to only choose one I would go with CMFI. #1 becuase I'm Italian ;) , and #2 it runs smoother graphicly for me.

the latest patch 3.11 has CMBN (CMFI is only version 3.0)

Don't let patch levels stop you from getting CMFI if that is what you want (let the goodness of CMBN be what stops you).  Both CMBN and CMFI have been up graded to the latest engine version.  I believe that CMBN has had a minor patch more than CMFI - there was one after the vehicle pack.  But there really isn't any thing in CMFI that interferes with game play.

Edited by IanL

One other thing to keep in mind is the fact that not having all the modules will limit your multiplayer (PBEM) options. By this I mean you will run into difficulties playing PBEMs with players who have the entire game, especially playing Quick Battles. Multiplayer is where CM shines.

I just checked the store page and it looks like you can get the CMBN "Big Bundle" for $105. The Big Bundle looks like it now includes the base game, both modules, the vehicle pack and the latest (3.0) upgrade. That will get you a *lot* of content and will allow you to play multiplayer with anyone who has the entire game (which, in my experience, is just about everyone who plays multiplayer).

CMFI, like you pointed out, will cost you $65 for the base game + GL bundle, then another $10 for the 3.0 upgrade = $75.

I like the terrain better in CMFI, but that's just my preference.

well i will go for the CMFI+GL initially and then the upgrade.. .. only reason is that the bocage terrain looks scary to me (after seeing videos and playing the demo)... and if i get addicted to it (like you all say) i will save in next few months and then get CMBN or bocage if thats out...

thanks people for your guidance.. 

the only other option i see is to get the base game for them both initially and then slowly (when i get the money) buy  the modules one by one... yes i know it will be costly in a longer run but atleast i will have both games at the same time to play... 

the only other option i see is to get the base game for them both initially and then slowly (when i get the money) buy  the modules one by one... yes i know it will be costly in a longer run but atleast i will have both games at the same time to play... 

I don't recommend this. If you can only afford one with all the modules, upgrades, etc., then just get one (for now). Buying the bundles will save you money in the long run vs buying them piece by piece, and you will be able to play PBEMs with the one you chose.

Welcome aboard. And please remember:

If you join us down here and become one of the forever lost CM-addicted souls, then CM will probably turn out to be the cheapest game you ever bought - when calculating price per gaming hour. I seriously doubt that you will ever run out of new scenarios to play. I know, I never have.

We all float down here :D

If you join us down here and become one of the forever lost CM-addicted souls, then CM will probably turn out to be the cheapest game you ever bought - when calculating price per gaming hour.

Oh, the lost hours. I could have been frolicking with maids in fertile meadows, but no...

I don't recommend this. If you can only afford one with all the modules, upgrades, etc., then just get one (for now). Buying the bundles will save you money in the long run vs buying them piece by piece, and you will be able to play PBEMs with the one you chose.

makes sense..in that cause its just CMFI + GL for me then ...

But keep in mind the scenarios and campaigns are NOT updated or tested with the v3.0 upgrade !

Dont expect new features like AI trigger in the scenarios (which greatly enhance the capability's of the AI)

Expect some bugs in the scenarios due to changes made in the patches.

Edited by Wiggum15

Also, don't forget CMRT to make your dilema harder. Of all the ww2 games CMRT is the most polished IMO, and has the added feature of being able to load infantry on to tanks. If modern is your thing, then I would go with CMBS over CMSF since it has more features, and the Russians have a lot better toys than the Syrians.

Edited by Vinnart

But keep in mind the scenarios and campaigns are NOT updated or tested with the v3.0 upgrade !

Dont expect new features like AI trigger in the scenarios (which greatly enhance the capability's of the AI)

Expect some bugs in the scenarios due to changes made in the patches.

What, you mean like the KG Engel campaign, that was updated just this week? Yeah, so much for them not being updated.  :rolleyes:

Also, don't forget CMRT to make your dilema harder. Of all the ww2 games CMRT is the most polished IMO, and has the added feature of being able to load infantry on to tanks. If modern is your thing, then I would go with CMBS over CMSF since it has more features, and the Russians have a lot better toys than the Syrians.

i have CMBS ... :D 

What, you mean like the KG Engel campaign, that was updated just this week? Yeah, so much for them not being updated.  :rolleyes:

that is for CMBN of fortress italy?

Owning all CMx2 content myself I think CMFI+GL is a good start for WW2. There are plenty of campaigns and scenario's that come with it. If you have something of a life outside CMx2 it will be enough for a couple of months at least :)

Also it is chronologically the first game ('43) and features the Italians, probably the most 'challenging' force in CMx2.