New scenario: Pierrefitte-en-Cinglais

I finally completed my first scenario.

It's based on this place, that I tried to recreate as best as possible:

large.jpg?action=d

/SITUATION

16. of August, 1944. North of the village of Pierrefitte-en-Cinglais, Normandy.

/MISSION

Your platoon is one of several that are currently scouting ahead of the main drive in this region. Before you lies the the village of Pierrefitte-en-Cinglais. It commands a vital crossroads, but it is only one of several possible routes of advance through this area. Your recon in force will determine if this village is a weak point, allowing the rest of batallion to follow on.

You are to probe enemy defences and seize the crossroads. If you are successful, follow-up forces will then comb the surrounding area in order to fully secure it (not covered in this mission). 

/FRIENDLY FORCES

One platoon of dismounted armoured infantry, with light machineguns and light mortars.

/ENEMY FORCES

Suspected to be platoon strength, possibly with some light support weapons. Likely a mixture of reservists, veterans and possibly hitler youth; highly motivated troops who lack combat experience.

/PLAN

Scout ahead to determine weight and disposition of enemy resistance, then neutralise or bypass as the situation requires. Your main objectives are to secure key locations, while keeping casualties low, rather than to destroy all enemy forces.

---

The mission has 5 AI plans, and I tried to make the enemy set up in realistic and challenging ways, without making the mission too frustrating. The idea is that the enemy is reasonably competent, but far from elite, and you should be able to do a good job using good standard military tactics. Also, I tried to keep the enemy force maintain C2, even though scattering teams all over the map would probably be more efficient.

How to get the scenario

Actually I thought I would be able to attach it to this post, but the forum tells me I can't do that. But I don't like to upload to the repository before it's playtested (the briefing and images also need updating), so maybe if you're interested you can just send me a private message with your email, and I'll send you the file? As it's my first scenario, I don't know the normal way to do it.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Known inaccuracies:

The church is a bit bigger than in real life. The CM editor only allows a very small church or a very big modular one. The real one seems to be in between, so I chose the bigger version.

Terrain elevation is my best guesstimate, based on the shadows of the photo, and on google street view.

Angles of roads etc. are my best adaptation to the fixed angle terrain system of this game.

North on this map is actually East in real life. Only discovered this issue when I was 90 pct done. I don't know if it's possible to rotate a finished map.

The suspected fuel dump is my invention, as is the café  :)

The hotel probably only had two stories in real life. I'm considering downsizing it a bit.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Excellent - welcome to the club!

The church is a bit bigger than in real life. The CM editor only allows a very small church or a very big modular one. The real one seems to be in between, so I chose the bigger version.

Yeah, I have a similar problem in one I am working on too.  The bigger one looks better - good call.

Terrain elevation is my best guesstimate, based on the shadows of the photo, and on google street view.

One thing you can do is get your elevation from Google Earth.

Read this: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/101573-google-earth-is-your-friend/

North on this map is actually East in real life. Only discovered this issue when I was 90 pct done. I don't know if it's possible to rotate a finished map.

You are correct - no rotating after the fact.

How to get the scenario

Actually I thought I would be able to attach it to this post, but the forum tells me I can't do that. But I don't like to upload to the repository before it's playtested (the briefing and images also need updating), so maybe if you're interested you can just send me a private message with your email, and I'll send you the file? As it's my first scenario, I don't know the normal way to do it.

For completed scenarios, try the new Scenario Depot III.

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/

The 'Proving Grounds' or untested scenarios should be ready soonish.

• 2 weeks later...
I finally completed my first scenario.

Yay! :D

Known inaccuracies:

For terrain in France, I use the topo maps available here: http://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/accueil

For instance, here is the topo of Pierrefitte-en-Cinglais from that site

post-36375-0-23789000-1438162908_thumb.j
(click thumbnail to embiggen)

and a close up of the village, showing the buildings
post-36375-0-07266100-1438162920_thumb.j

and an aerial photo from 1953
post-36375-0-51497500-1438164630_thumb.j

It takes a while rummaging around to figure out what is what - especially if you don't speak French - but what they have there is absolutely wonderful.
Edited by JonS

Yay! :D

For terrain in France, I use the topo maps available here: http://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/accueil

For instance, here is the topo of Pierrefitte-en-Cinglais from that site

and a close up of the village, showing the buildings

and an aerial photo from 1953

It takes a while rummaging around to figure out what is what - especially if you don't speak French - but what they have there is absolutely wonderful.

Thanks for the advice. Seems this village actually borders some very interesting terrain, with the landscape dropping away sharply into gullies just west of town... maybe some day I will make a larger map including the countryside.

I played this as US against the AI, and had a blast :) The action was going right down too the final minute (and even a minute into overtime) @Bulletpoint has done a great job, and the final version should be a cracker.

I played this as US against the AI, and had a blast :) The action was going right down too the final minute (and even a minute into overtime) @Bulletpoint has done a great job, and the final version should be a cracker.

Thanks Jon, I really appreciate that a veteran scenario designer like you took the time to try out the mission. Very encouraging to a newbie like me, can't stress that enough. There's a v2 coming, and it's going to be better thanks to your feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Italy has a pretty good one (also called geoportail, or something very similar). Edit: this - http://www.pcn.minambiente.it/GN/en/?lan=en

for the Netherlands there's this http://watwaswaar.nl/

For Germany this is useful: http://lib.byu.edu/collections/german-maps/ (there's a reference map in there somewhere, which helps finding the map you're after)

Holland has this, although the alphabetical listing makes finding the right map a bit problematic: http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo:18976/-/collection

and this: http://ncap.org.uk/browse/map#zoom=1&lat=3737541.20636&lon=-2389065.59639&layers=BT (zoom in on one of the circled numbers in the area you're interested in to get closer and closer to exactly what you want)

Edited by JonS

Great Jon! After a quick look it seems to be great resources. Just have to figure out how to best use them. They should be pinned (along with other map making resources) in the respective Maps and Mods forums. Hopefully that can encourage more people to try their hand at map/scenario/campaign making.

That's a good idea, although the likelihood of someone finding that list is probably about the same as someone who needs it finding the sites directly through Google :D In my limited experience, I've found a four-part approach works well for me:

1) maintain my own list of go-to mapping sites. I have most of NW and southern Europe in the 1940s covered now, which are my main areas of interest.

2) if 1) fails; assume that high quality mapping of the site I want exits on the web, I just haven't found it yet. Invariably this is true, and getting truer as more and more material finds its way online. (and remember to update 1) when I do find it)

3) if 2) fails; ask for help. It's odds on that someone will have what I'm after (and remember to update 1) when I get what I'm after)

4) be ready to help out if I can other folk who've gotten to step 3) :)

Edited by JonS