What kind of engine improvements do you expect from the Bulge game ?

Hi !

What kind of engine improvements do you expect from the Bulge game ?

Do you wish that the performance and loading times get fixed ?

On my list are these technical and engine improvements:

- Overall Better Performance

- Reduce the loading times dramatically

- Get rid of all the old graphic glitches

- The ability to save turns as "replays"

- Fix the wind effect

- Use road command

- The ability for infantry to use differend spacings and formations

- Better/reworked (not so ugly) trenches and foxholes (a must-have for bulge)

- TacAI improvements for example better panic behavior

- Finally fix the use of bridges

- Real Deep snow terrain with a effect on tanks and vehicles

- Reworked UI that makes use of modern FullHD 16/9 screens

- Better Night combat effects and features like flares

What do you think, what real new features and fixes to you expect from the Bulge game ?

Oh, and why cant i start a poll anymore ?

Edited by Wiggum15

i 'd love 

- Real Deep snow terrain with a effect on tanks and vehicles
- Reworked UI that makes use of modern FullHD 16/9 screens
- Better Night combat effects and features like flares

and better performance if possible.

but deep snow would be the best addition imo

The question would be how would such "deep snow" look on the generally very flat CM terrain ?

i thought Real deep snow would mean that it wouldnt be flat, thats why i prioritised it . if its deep snow only in name then i am not interested in that feature personally

I agree with your points 100%

Would like to see longer suppression and more surrendering soldiers than dead soldiers.

Oh, thats a good point.

The effects of supression are not severe enough.

Fire and movement rarely works.

The code for surrendering needs to be changed too.

Surrendering should occur if:

- A whole formation with already low moral gets surrounded by enemy forces

- Single soldiers (last survivors) are x time closer to enemy troops then to friendly ones.

Another thing that needs to be added back is routing.

It should be possible to route a defender and if he reaches the map edges hes counted as MIA !

No more fights to the death (95% of all CM games feel like that)

one thing that comes to my mind is New tracers, different lenght/color or smth or perhaps that every 5th bullet or whatever, actually can be seen

Good point,they should get some love i bet they are the same since CMSF.

Do you actually play the game?

Yes.

The is a popular tracer mod (IIRC made by Vein) that has alternate lengths and colors.

I use this mod but why has everything get modded into a 55$ game ?

If it would be 10$ i would not care.

As someone pointed out even the scenarios get donated to BFC.

I know small team, no money, niche games. But i expect some quality from a 55$ game, especially when its no "proof of concept" or other rare stuff. CMx2 had 8 years to evolve into a quality product.

Just look what Kieme(ITA) did with the distance ground textures, with his mod it looks 100 times better. BFC needs to step it up a bit.

Or take the sounds, someone pointed out they use sounds from the CMx1 era.

Edited by Wiggum15

Well I came in here in morbid curiosity, but I'll answer the thread subject:

I expect that existing engine features will be given the opportunity to show.

I don't expect very many engine tweaks. Comprehensive snow effects are the key "USP" for the terrain options, and maybe the work done on amphibious movement will help bring that about, but frankly I don't expect it to. A few new terrain tiles with varying but high chances of bogging, but deep snow is very difficult because it has to be able to deform. If it deforms, it's not in the FoW. So any movement that goes through a snow bank will be visible same as crushing a fence. If it doesn't deform, it'll look odd indeed. Probably worse than not having it at all.

I certainly don't expect any changes to the UI scaling, since they've said that's an OpenGL nightmare, and they've said any UI revamp would be a major part of a version upgrade, which Bulge will not include.

I don't expect them to change the suppression timers much; they've been pretty much consistent across the WW2 titles.

Any changes to the lighting model that spotting uses will also, I expect, have to wait for a version upgrade. Changing spotting about is no small undertaking.

Tracers are just irrelevant to a new family. They work fine for their intended purpose (which isn't "to look like realistic tracers") and are already moddable if you don't like the look.

Not having spiffy new effects for snow might be a shame, but it won't break the game. When did any figures game put a 3cm layer of polystyrene balls on the table for snow?

Well we already have decent snow in CMFI so this is hardly some attempt to invent intersteller travel. Also Wiggle has somewhat of a point...its great all the excellent work the mod community have done, but why not incorporate some of this stuff into the base product? 

Los

Edited by Los

Thansk for staying On-Topic womble !

But whats left after all womble ?

A few new snow textures/tiles ?

A few new units ?

A modified CMBN TO&E ?

A dozen Scenarios "donated" by the community ?

55 $ ?

Edited by Wiggum15

I'm also hoping for engine tweaks and improvements.

We all like new tanks and units, but for me, it's the underlying game that I am hoping most to see expanded and improved.

I don't think 55 USD is expensive, if they deliver quality.

I am also one who saw this thread and immediately thought "and so it begins, again". Those of us who are observant have noticed, Wiggum, that your threads tend to be pretty much the same:

1. You start off with a random list of whatever floats your boat on a particular day.

2. Your list is presented as "expectations" and they are totally divorced from reality or reasonableness. Or priority or importance or anything else. See point #1.

3. Some people say "yes, I like that! And let me add to the random and impossible list of expectations".

4. Reasonable people come into the thread and explain why the list is random and unrealistic.

5. You don't have a good answer to #4 except to belittle others and us, or simply call people "fanboys". You are sometimes joined by some of the people in #3.

6. This goes on for a while with people who are more reasonable and more informed being attacked for trying to bring some reasonableness to the thread. In the past that has included even people like me, whom you try to reeducate because you think you know more than I do about how to make and market wargames.

7. Eventually it has to be locked because you won't let it go.

8. You start up another thread just like it, often with a completely different list of things and the process starts all over again.

So I'm going to cut this short and go to #7 by locking it.

Note that our patience with this is running very thin. You are extremely aggressive when confronted with anything you disagree with. Which, since you think you know everything, is quite a big area. This forum is not here for that sort of behavior. If you fail to understand this then your time on this Forum will come to an end.

As for what new things are going to be in the game... modest improvements. The Bulge is not the basis of an engine upgrade (i.e. v4.0). We've already stated this.

Steve