When should BFC start to develop a CMx3 engine ?

When should BFC start to develop a CMx3 engine  

54 members have voted

1. 1. When should BFC start to develop a CMx3 engine

• Right after they finish the Bulge game
    • Let them finish Bulge and Modules for CMRT and CMBS first
    • They can use the CMx2 engine as long as they like, its fine for me
    • I doubt there will ever be a CMx3 engine...
    • I think they should have started long ago and we should already have CMx3 by now !

Its up to BFC if they will take it seriously, most likely not but i dont care, its just what i think could work, sorry for not being the manager of a multi-millon dollar game company.

I apologize for that...

@ sandman2575

I dont agree with most of what you said, but again its not about GTOS.

But saying that "CM is superior on so many levels" is a bit daring...

Can you point to one AAA title based on tactical combat that redevelops its engine every few years, has amazing graphics, is extremely high fidelity, releases constant patches to squash any bugs or minor issues and is a runaway success?

I can't think of one.

In fact most tactical combat games are based on ancient engines like John Tillers, Close Combat, Field of Glory or Panzer General. CM and GTOS are about the only 'modern' games in this genre.

Where do you think the audience for such an investment in a AAA title actually is?

Edited by niall78

In my opinion playing a wargame is for the strategy and tactics BUT ALSO for the lust of destruction and chaos.

This second aspect is very neglected/unattended in CM as the damage models are not so good looking and there is

not even fire yet (mind you: in a wargame!). :o This is a bit disappointing, of course.

To have a completely destructable environment in CM like in the "Men of War" series would be great.

OK, but this is only my wishing (or what I'm dreaming of) and my two cents about this topic.

I will not discuss about BFCs capabilities etc.

And regarding STEAM @Wiggum15: There is already a very good statement from BFC regarding this

in a thread called: "Sell on Steam?" ----> http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117381-sell-on-steam/page-20?hl=steam

(last comment from BF) which I can understand very well and respect.

Edited by Shorker

After everything in development at the moment is done and all projects on the boil are finished, they should pause for 6 months, then start working on updating the engine. My first port of call would be to get out amongst the community that pay the wages of its staff and see what they want. The coding of a proper AI, and the integration of multiplayer features that are not from the days of PC Format and floppy disks stuck to the front of magazines should be a first. The graphics are passable at the moment. Their problem is they cant seem to utilise todays hardware to its fullest extent, having high fidelity models and textures because they seem to be able to only use a fraction of a pc's computing power. This should be addressed.

I would consider crowdfunding a game, or going to steam for development help - then buying a new engine off the shelf and taking it from there.

Edited by Stagler

I would like to see the beautiful effects, smoke, fire, fog, rain, snow and explosion
I would like to play with a nice and functional UI
buildings should have basements
infantry should seek and to hide behind covers (without orders)
infantry should be able to hide behind the tanks
editor should be in 3d
the editor should be whole farm (in several versions) or whole quarters of the city
I would like to see burning farms, fields and buildings

Unfortunately, there are always more important things - eg. the uber maps

GTOS...

Graphics are not just "decent", they blow away CMx2 in every aspect, CM is not even the same league.

Ok, whenever people complain about the graphics of CM ( or say something else is better ), I want to ask this :

Please - post some comparative screenshots. 

I don't have GTOS so have no frame of reference.

I know - standard response to that is "google some images", but the thing is, whenever I do that, I find images that don't look better than CM.

So please, just post a couple that you think demonstrates the difference.

Their problem is they cant seem to utilise todays hardware to its fullest extent, having high fidelity models and textures because they seem to be able to only use a fraction of a pc's computing power. This should be addressed.

Perhaps because they are still catering to a segment of their audience who run yesterday's compotatos. Switching to fully 64 bit might open new possibilities but that could be a long undertaking. I use some industry standard graphics software that has taken years to switch over.

What has this forum turned into?!? Some kind of static, entrenched warfare between the Old Breed and The New Generation. People ask questions (some legitimate, some not) and then the flame war starts. It perfectly illustrates the point that time is a flat circle and that this will go on forever and ever.

@ niall78

AAA titles are stuff like Call of Duty or GTA with over 100 Million dollar budget.

I think you dont need AAA budget to realize a CMx3 engine, look at what some Indie Devs are pulling off after a successful kickstarter campaign, why should that not work for BFC ?

@ Baneman

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=468922131

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=444334040

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=376986050

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=347288666

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=444896030

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=470237574

@ Stagler

I too think crowdfunding is the way to go for BFC if they want to realize a CMx3 engine

both games have bellow average graphics, but  gtos actually have some 2010-like graphics while cm is in the late 90s early 2000s

still cm has better gameplay and Multiplayer (no matter how unsuported it is ,still has it)

I would also prefer that hey 'finish' the CM2 series before they set about to design an entirely new game engine...

We need 41- 44, 44-45 russian front games...preferably also the early years and north africa...

As far as GTOS goes...I have not really played it...I found the UI to be....Uuuh....not very nice  B) ...Perhaps with a bit more time spent with that game things would have become more playable...but i put that game away ratrher quickly...With a dissapointment feeling...

I have watched all the youtube videos i can find about the upcomming game and i have to say that i'm not one bit impressed...when compared to CM...

The vehicles look very cartoony, they are very bright and shiny...seems more approporate for a moscow victory parade rather then having seen prolonged combat. The shadowing seems far inferior to CM...

Edited by RepsolCBR

oh yes cm optimisation. i must say one of the worst optimised games. 4.0ghz latest i5 and gtx 970 oced cant give me decent fps ,unless playing on fast models

If i had to name the one game that run the worst on my PC it would be CMx2 !

I play GTAV, ARMA3, GTOS all in high-max details Full HD !

And those loading times are killing me, big scenarios take about 4 minutes to load...thats incomprehensible.

Thats another thing, normally you would expect that after 8 years with the same engine it would be good optimized but CMBS runs much worse then SF !

I would also prefer that hey 'finish' the CM2 series before they set about to design an entirely new game engine...

We need 41- 44, 44-45 russian front games...preferably also the early years and north africa...

As far as GTOS goes...I have not really played it...I found the UI to be....Uuuh....not very nice  B) ...Perhaps with a bit more time spent with that game things would have become more playable...but i put that game away ratrher quickly...With a dissapointment feeling...

I have watched all the youtube videos i can find about the upcomming game and i have to say that i'm not one bit impressed...when compared to CM...

The vehicles look very cartoony, they are very bright and shiny...seems more approporate for a moscow victory parade rather then having seen prolonged combat. The shadowing seems far inferior to CM...

Sorry but that tells me that you are a unconvincible CMx2 fanboy.

You are unable to accept the fact that "Mius Front" has some great features...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGv5QYmQT0c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbvjgWqPBis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQA5-VWVXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eCET3VCztU

If you would have said that you wish CM had some of those features but still think CMx2 looks overall better or something i would accept that, but to say "i'm not one bit impressed...when compared to CM..." is just a joke.

Guys watch the videos and then think again, he said "i'm not one bit impressed...when compared to CM..." !

...and what just made me fall of my chair is that you said "The shadowing seems far inferior to CM..."...wow, shows me how abnormal your connection to CMx2 is.

Really, please stay realistic at least.

Edited by Wiggum15

...and what just made me fall of my chair is that you said "The shadowing seems far inferior to CM..."...wow, shows me how abnormal your connection to CMx2 is.

Really, please stay realistic at least.

Ohh, well...Maybe there is something wrong with the way youtube works on my computer then...because i can not see any shadowing from the guns on the vehicles for example....

Ohh, well...Maybe there is something wrong with the way youtube works on my computer then...because i can not see any shadowing from the guns on the vehicles for example....

Then your youtube is broken. Or you watching at 240p resolution... ;)

Wiggum15 - are you at all capable of rationale and mature debate? From your previous posts it does appear as if you are going out your way to appear both irrational and immature. TBH your attitude and the way you interact with other posters comes across as hostile and combative. You wonder why other posters then react in the way you do? 

@ George MC

Sorry if i did sound rude but if some people act like little children, refusing to accept the fact that there is another wargame which has some features CMx2 has not and just say..."nah, CM is still better by far" it gets me angry.

Ok, back to topic, we are taliking about CMx3 here not GTOS !

Well, I haven't played GTOS but judging from the screenshots, I like CMx2's graphics better.

GTOS graphics seem to be the kind that has plagued gaming for a long time...Way too much filtering and processing, everything has this "Made out of plastic Call Of Duty -esque" vibe.

Even if CMx2 graphics are wee clunky, atleast they attempt to look realistic with the bright colours and lighting.