"You say tomayto, I say tomahto"

That might just be a fog of war thing. 'Knocked out' is a catch all term for a tank that's out of action. You get better information on your own vehicles (whether they've just become inoperable due to accumulated damage to vital systems, or catastrophically destroyed). Do you see anything different if you check the enemy vehicles on the AAR screen / map review?

If there is a genuine difference (rather than fog of war), then is it possible you are primarily playing one side / particular types of AFVs? If (to take a silly example) you are consistently playing Pz IVs vs enemy ISU-152s or IS-2s, then there is a good chance that any Pz IV you lose is goingt to be destroyed by the large caliber shells. Conversely the low caliber Pz IV gun is much less likely to completely destroy a tank vs knock out a vital bit.

Also some tanks are more prone to catch fire or explode in response to hits.

Those are the two most obvious possibilities that come to mind for me.

What I'm suggesting is that there is a definite bias when playing the AI as the Germans. I have noticed that this happens consistently throughout all the scenarios shipped with RT. 

The Russian AFVs are in fact "destroyed" (smoking carcasses, big red crosses flashing, dead crew members strewn about...you get the picture).

My point is the actual choice of wording here. I would rather "destroy" the enemy than to simply "knock (him) out".

To me, "destroyed" sounds like the tank has been blown to bits, whereas "knocked out" just means it has been damaged enough to be out of action.

I hope some day they will make it so tanks that catastrophically explode leave just a shattered wreck behind, rather than looking pretty intact but sitting in a crater.