Is it me?

BTR

I would Say that 90% of CMBS comes from SF and 90% of all other WW2 titles comes from CMBN...

It's called recycling old stuff for a new full price game.

The most cursory glance at the games disproves this. Every new game has new content in it (vehicles, uniforms, weaponry, equipment variations, TOEs, environments, landscape types/features). The engine is common to most and no-one in their right mind remodels a Kar 98k for every new WWII game but, apart from that...?

Back on topic, good catch. T90A hull remodelling strikes me as the sort of thing which might get caught in a patch so worth pointing out.

[edited for punctuation]

Edited by Tux

The M1 model is a good example of how a good model can be used with an update on exterior features (SEPV2) and damage model.

Sure, the M1 could feature more plygons, but you'd need a lot of them to make something visually better than the one we have in game, not to mention the necessity to improve texture quality, effects etc. All of this wouldn't be much of a good effort if not put in a specific brand new game engine. Therefore I'm fine with model porting, as long as they are updated and bug free. The problem is that the new T-90 and 64 are quite different from the T-72 family and would require some more attention.

I would Say that 90% of CMBS comes from SF and 90% of all other WW2 titles comes from CMBN...

It's called recycling old stuff for a new full price game.

AND WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD NOT DO THAT.

Lets see, I have a model right here I can adjust and it might take 20 hours, No it is much better to start from scratch and spend 200 hours on it.

Way to show us all how intelligent you are.

No one is going to create anything from scratch when they can make adjustments to previous work that can be reused.

What world do you come from

The russian armor models are the most difficult to make, they have a lot of exterior attachments, the real shape underneath is anything but obvious and the rounded cast parts are extremely hard to render in 3d. The old T-72s in CMSF did a fine job but in CMBS some tricks didn't work out (like reusing old hulls).

AND WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD NOT DO THAT.Lets see, I have a model right here I can adjust and it might take 20 hours, No it is much better to start from scratch and spend 200 hours on it.Way to show us all how intelligent you are.No one is going to create anything from scratch when they can make adjustments to previous work that can be reused.What world do you come from

Don't fall for it. You know if he had to pay the price for full from scratch development, the first thing he'd ask is why they can't use the old model and reduce the price.

Some people don't ever think about what they are saying, they just want to be negative and draw attention.

Don't fall for it. You know if he had to pay the price for full from scratch development, the first thing he'd ask is why they can't use the old model and reduce the price.

Some people don't ever think about what they are saying, they just want to be negative and draw attention.

No, you use the old model as a base, and develop from there, correcting bugs along the way.

Never simply recycle unless your trying to portray the exact same thing, if there are bugs, rebuild. Bad developmentship.

Edited by Stagler

Reusing old models is ok.

But what BFC does is just "cheap".

Just look at the terrain, its the same for CMBN, CMRT and CMBS.

The infantry movement is the same since 2007 and never got improved.

They recycled the Germans from CMBN in RT (1944 again) and will do it in the bulge game (1944 again).

The winter terrain will be the same as in CMFI...

And don't get me started about the lack of new features or engine improvements since 2007.

BFC sells texture and scenario packs as full price games, some think that's acceptable some don't.

then don't buy the game already.  You say it isn't acceptable and yet you play the game, which is it?  No one is MAKING you buy it. For what it is worth Stagler, that wasn't a response to you.  I think you assessment is incorrect, but that is a different discussion.

Edited by sburke

I wasn't trying to make a point.  It was a reference to your constant sniping at how you think you don't get your money's worth from BF.  Despite a constant unrelenting rant you somehow are still here.  Yeah we get it.  You think you are being resold the same old repackaged item.  If you really think it is that bad, don't buy it and leave those of us who feel that with whatever issues it has (in a product that is continuing to develop) it is well worth it, in peace.

... And that's my whole point.

You talk about how CM is "continuing to develop" but I and many others don't see that.

CM is in a standstill since 2007.

They fixed bugs and added minor features but the big issues and shortcomings are still there...just look at the infantry movement !

Or the awful "floating in nirvana" map.

8 years and still, CMBS feels like the 2007 SF just with a 55$ texture mod.

Edited by Wiggum15

I wasn't trying to make a point.  It was a reference to your constant sniping at how you think you don't get your money's worth from BF.  Despite a constant unrelenting rant you somehow are still here.  Yeah we get it.  You think you are being resold the same old repackaged item.  If you really think it is that bad, don't buy it and leave those of us who feel that with whatever issues it has (in a product that is continuing to develop) it is well worth it, in peace.

Stop arguing with him, mate. Anyone who doesn't see the drastic differences between CMSF and CMBS doesn't deserve this much attention.

You talk about how CM is "continuing to develop" but I and many others don't see that.

And there's just as many of us that disagree with you. The advances might not be as quick as I'd like but to deny they are there is preposterous and to label them minor little fixes/features is opinion. But saying the game has been at a stand still since 2007 is complete and utter crap—poop laden hyperbole for the sake of poop laden hyperbole.

This is why, after dozens of your little snipes over the past six months or so, you end up with these types of replies. The pessimism and willful ignorance gets really old. Take your ideas and desires and try putting them in a more positive tone and drop the dramatics and you might get somewhere. In the end we all want the same thing but there are better ways to go about it—Greek tragedy seasoned with fallacy does not help further the discussion and never will.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

I know you are all gonna hate me now, but the death yells havent changed since CMx1, which was released in June 2000, 15 years ago.

:P

Skip to 2:40 to hear a german getting shot.

Edited by agusto

I know you are all gonna hate me now, but the death yells havent changed since CMx1, which was released in June 2000, 15 years ago.

:P

Skip to 2:40 to hear a german getting shot.

LOL ......... That does sound familiar......

However, to be fair, a soldier's death yell at Waterloo would probably be similar to a death yell in Normandy or the Ukraine or even at Thermopyale .........  Now if he was going to utter an expletive, in his native tongue, on the situation that would be different.   :P

Hell no...THAT  was the reason I spent two different holidays screaming into a microphone! I couldn't do the Germans but I sure did my best on the American voices in CMSF and BN. I HATE those rehashed US CMBO voices....I got to the point where if I heard another "did you see that?" or "MY ARM!" I was gonna hang myself.

BTW I just looked at my CMBN mod...that sucker has been DLed 1254 times. I'm FAMOUS!

EDITED: Ah you meant just the yells...well actually all the voices except for the Syrians (and anything in CMA) are rehashed CMX1 stuff. What makes the US so annoying is that they have been in BO, AK, SF, BN, FI, and BS.

I actually did a death scream mod for CMSF.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Don't get Mord started.

The only problem with those death screams is they can sometimes get a little too graphic. Like when that tank gets hit and is burning and you hear some gurgling scream. I think the first time I noticed, I mean REALLY noticed a scream sound mod was a YouTube someone posted like that.

In this regard, nothing beats the death scream of vehicle crews in the original Ghost Recon. It was painfully close to what you would expect from someone burning to death. There should be a "disable gore" option in the game. In all games that need it, really.

Hell no...THAT  was the reason I spent two different holidays screaming into a microphone! I couldn't do the Germans but I sure did my best on the American voices in CMSF and BN. I HATE those rehashed US CMBO voices....I got to the point where if I heard another "did you see that?" or "MY ARM!" I was gonna hang myself.

LOL. So it' s you voice i am hearing everytime i am playing CM as americans? Hey, and did you also do the voice acting in "Mords Vocal Mayham Mod"? That was SO awesome :D. After installing it i laughed almost everytime i heard one of my guys scream something like "Sh*t, i see a TANK, TAAANK! Gunner, light the motherf*cker up, ENGAGE!"

You know I am kind of wondering what Mord's neighbors were thinking when recorded that.

Ironically enough it was probably a lot of "Did you hear that?"

LOL. I live in an in-law apartment attached to my grandparent's old house. My uncle lives in the house part. I have to wait until he leaves to visit my cousin to make mods like that. That way he isn't busting through my door clutching his chest and waving a pistol.  Hence, I believe the CMSF mod was originally recorded on Thanksgiving and CMBN's was done on Easter.

As for the death screams files...I think the quicker ones are best. The gurgling and stuff is a bit over the top and the files are actually too long in my opinion. I like to keep everything under 3 seconds because as far as I remember the game loads all that in memory and I think the smaller the file the better.

LOL. So it' s you voice i am hearing everytime i am playing CM as americans? Hey, and did you also do the voice acting in "Mords Vocal Mayham Mod"? That was SO awesome :D. After installing it i laughed almost everytime i heard one of my guys scream something like "Sh*t, i see a TANK, TAAANK! Gunner, light the motherf*cker up, ENGAGE!"

Yep. That's me in all my glory. I have screamed myself raw for the immersion of my Combat Mission brothers. I took a lot of my inspiration for the CMSF mod from watching Youtube footage of live combat to get a feel for how those guys talk and react under stress and fire.

I don't know if you know but GeorgeMC and I collaborated on a Brit mod for CMSF. I edited a bunch of left over files he had that didn't go into the module and he did a few more for me, not as big as the US one but he's a great voice actor.

BTW If you ever make a sound mod again, i could try doing the germans. I am sure you had a lot fun making Mords Vocal Mayham Mod.

Yeah, it can be fun...you end up laughing a lot when you screw up your lines (and a lot of stuff just comes to you on the fly while you were thinking of something else). You can get really creative with the files if you just think about what information each one is trying to convey in-game and how you can present that in a realistic manner and not be stale and robotic. Sometimes it can be as as simple as "they're shooting at us" or just having a guy cuss really emotionally as he folds up and bullets are whizzing around him. And you'd be amazed at how much voice inflections can make or ruin a file—a raised word in the wrong spot and it sounds fake, a rising of the voice in a another and it sounds great. It's really fun testing it out in game too.

That'd be pretty cool. I had members lined up to act for the Brits in CMSF (twice) but they always ended up backing out. I did start some preliminary files for CMBS....I have a younger cousin and he said he'd be willing to do some acting and possibly some of his buddies, so I am hoping that I'll be able to get them into it and update CMBN while I am at it.

Mord.