Is it just me?

sburke

I also agree with the OP and Ken describes it beautifully above. It's a mixture of table top wargaming and ASL with a level of detail that creates numerous immersive and amazing vignettes almost every game.

I do wonder having read a good number of these post over the years, which draw up the battleline between (and my tongue is in my cheek here) the fanbois and haters what the correlation (if any) is between those that really think the CMx2 games are the bees knees and the number of computer games played by them.

I only play one set of games on the PC - CMx2. The kids have an Xbox which I occasionally use, but otherwise it is CMx2 all the way. I suspect that many of those that don't regard CMx2 as highly play a lot more games and just see CM as another game in a wider pool. Nothing wrong with that but I do wonder if it goes someway to explaining why views sometimes get polarised.

just my 2p

P

Interesting theory, but doesn't apply to everyone who plays more games. :) I played quite a few, and still have several, and when I had a PC I had more games - some with more comprehensive graphics than CMx2 but what attracted me to CM was a multitude of factors:

-Realism - now for someone that might be the graphical elements but I'll handle that as a separate thing - so realism to me is that the game works closely to how things do in real life - and that real tactics and strategy apply, rather than finding ways to exploit limitation in the game engine to succeed. 

-Graphics - I know everything can be improved and the mods I see are spectacular, but the base game already gives an amazing feel for what combat might have looked like in WW2. Especially close to the ground, the camera gives a perspective that feels life-like to me. Perhaps my imagination fills in the gaps in the technology but I'm not consciously aware of it. 

-Gameplay - CM is a game you can play for fun and be quite casual about it, or you can take things very seriously and work on elaborate systems to enhance realism - take Bil Hardenberger's C2 system  as an example - but these choices exist and allow one to enjoy the game your way. Many other games don't offer that level of flexibility - they are by design made to work a certain way, and hence are more suited to those what enjoy or relate to that design. I feel less constrained in CM. 

id like to play arma cold war. someone gifted me it but somethng screwed up and steam didnt see it. I just like the idea of the Cold War weaponry and atmosohere, and the gift included some guerilla war expansion. I had been a big fan of Op Flashpoint god like 15-16 years ago so i was kind of pumped. steams support still hasnt responded going on 3 weeks. otherwise id love to play rise of flight, DCs A10, and try the mig21 and some other planes modelled by the IL2 owners. Alas i dont have a joystick and funds are really low now. so thats on hold indefinitely. such is life. but CMx2 literslly has been my exclusive gaming experience since i returned after a looong hiatus in 2010. bought CM:A. loved it and then hot SF. i opted for A over SF because i had been around for the first SF demo and i thought it was awful. But after playing CM:A some and talkn to people i tried SF. Then got Marines and NATO. God i loved playing the Marines. only mod i didnt buy was Brit and i regretted it.

Edited by Sublime

As for other games bringing me that. No, games like ARMA do not, the reason is, first person shooters do not feel or act realistic at all. the players are all doing their own thing and there is no concept of death being bad, so constant stupid moves are made because there is no fear of dying. The whole environment really has no feeling as to it being something you would see in real life. 

So, maybe better graphics, and better looking small events. But the feel of the whole battle has nothing to do with reality in most games. CM is about the only thing that trys for that, and in truth it lacks many things also. But for me it is close enough that I get the feeling of a actual fight taking place.

No fear of dying in ARMA ?

You clearly never played ARMA...

CMx2 is a great game but has not moved on since 2007.

Things BFC sells as "engine updates" would be just small free updates for other devs.

Things BFC sells as a "new" full price game would be a 20$ DLC for other devs.

BFC got stuck in their own niche and cant move forward.

And as long as they make enough money with CMx2 there is no reason for them to move a inch.

Edited by Wiggum15

Things BFC sells as "engine updates" would be just small free updates for other devs.

What many other developers does not do is to allow the player to update their older games in a series to be as good as the latest for a TINY !  sum of Money...

That option does not exist at all in many other games afaik...With this approach we will not need to buy a CMBN2 or a CMFI2 for a long, long time hopefully and still keep those games 'fresh'...

Compare this with FIFA15, NHL15 for example...

If you want to be able to play the latest FIFA game you will nedd to buy an ENTIRELY NEW, FULL PRICE FIFA-game every year....A way to simply upgrade your previous purcase to the latest version does not exits...Atleast not to my knowledge...I have not played FIFA for a few years...

Edited by RepsolCBR

With the same concept look at assassin's creed. They pump out a new title that has the same game mechanics, very few improvements (mainly graphical), a different setting but it's the very same game over and over again. So the idea is pretty basic in the gaming industry.

No fear of dying in ARMA ?

You clearly never played ARMA...

And as long as they make enough money with CMx2 there is no reason for them to move a inch.

Arma - I sure have

And plenty other main line games.

And if you really want team work, there is ways to find a few guys to work with you so that you can go in and slaughter all the independent fools running around as a clown force.

But until the game allows one life and one life only, and when you die you get electric shock treatments for the next month 24 times daily and you pay $1000.00 for being killed in the game.

Then and only then will people maybe act a little more like they do when their own real freaken life is in danger.

These are games the mimic life, they are illusions of what is real, but they do not bring you the real life experience or if somehow they did. No body would want to use them. Because they provide entertainment, the real life stuff is not much of that at all.

CMBS with the new v3 game engine has given me more thrill than the older CMx2 games.

Some of the big, hilly maps included in the game make really great, long battles possible.

I don't like flat maps where it's possible to control big part of the battle field from one well chose location with anti-armour missiles or several tanks.

But if there's enough cover the resulting battles can be extremly good.

We are going off on a side track that is never productive.  I honestly don't really care what some other developer or game has.  Good for them, I hope for them the best.

The position that CM hasn't changed since 2007 is fine if that is your position.  It is hopelessly wrong, but I don't have the time to waste to hash that debate over endlessly.  Instead go to this page, read it and if you still hold to your position... well have a good day.

A Partial list of changes to CM from CMSF to CMBS compliments of ChrisND.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=338&Itemid=583

You don't like the direction BF has gone, you are totally entitled to that opinion.  For what it is worth I still play CMSF despite it not having the latest feature.  Even without them CMSF beats anything else in this genre.

Edited by sburke

Playing Bear Claws from Gustav Line this lazy summer afternoon.

Moving two Brummbars up the middle side by side and taking a bunch of .50 fire from atop a hill when all of the sudden both Brummbars brew up at once in a monster explosion.  I didn't see or hear any airplanes as much as I rewound the replay in the WeGo turn.  Searched the American side for a Sherman that could have killed them.  Decided to quit and find out what killed them.

Sure enough a Sherman got a lucky hit on one of the Brummbars and it blew sky high and took the other one with him.

Never a dull game.

Bobo

Can i amend this quote to:

BFC got stuck in there own niche and are moving it forward

As long as they make enough money there is no reason for them to change what they are doing

I will keep coming back to buy the next great game they release, so don't care much if some would class it as update/DLC whatever  

Oh god please no, he already derailed and completely monopolized the other thread. This one has been answered, no reason to keep this open either.

I am Sam

Sam I am

That Sam I am, that Sam I am, I do not like that Sam I am

Don't make me do it Chris.

Edited by sburke

Can i amend this quote to:

BFC got stuck in there own niche and are moving it forward

As long as they make enough money there is no reason for them to change what they are doing

I will keep coming back to buy the next great game they release, so don't care much if some would class it as update/DLC whatever

The question is, at what speed are they moving and how far can they move forward while in the "cage" called CMx2 engine...

Do you like green eggs and ham

I do not like them Sam I am

I do not like green eggs and ham

Would you like them here or there

I would not like them here or there, I would not like them anywhere

I do not like green eggs and ham I do not like them Sam I am.

You made me do it Chris