New Scenario - Der Ring der 5. Panzer-Division

Hello...

A very small suggestion with regards to the briefing screen...

I would imagine that you have initially made those pictures larger and then resized them to fit into the size-limitations of the editor...

One thing that you might considder with your next scenario is to resize the pictures to the correct size before you type in the text...

This way the text in the pictures will become somewhat less blury...

As is the text is still readable (atleast with my 'young' eyes  B) ) but if you place the text onto the pictures after they are the correct size hopefully the text will become crisper...

Once again...Only a small suggestion to a very cool looking scenario.

Well..I'm off...I have some russian AT-guns to deal with  ;)

Hello...

A very small suggestion with regards to the briefing screen...

I would imagine that you have initially made those pictures larger and then resized them to fit into the size-limitations of the editor...

One thing that you might considder with your next scenario is to resize the pictures to the correct size before you type in the text...

This way the text in the pictures will become somewhat less blury...

As is the text is still readable (atleast with my 'young' eyes  B) ) but if you place the text onto the pictures after they are the correct size hopefully the text will become crisper...

Once again...Only a small suggestion to a very cool looking scenario.

Well..I'm off...I have some russian AT-guns to deal with  ;)

Ah good suggestion... :) Funny how simple things often elude my brain!

I can easy update em as i still have them as paintshop psp files.

Good luck with your Russkie PAK! :)

This looks like a very interesting mission. It’s a beautiful large map with lots of terrain for both the defense and offence. I will give it a try in H2H in a few weeks’ time and hopefully will have some good experience to report.

Hmm i dont have to work today...so i am kinda tempted to try it. But then there' s that Otto Carius scenario as well and i dont have time to play through two 120+ turn scenarios on a single day, hmmm...life is full of difficult decisions!

This looks like a very interesting mission. It’s a beautiful large map with lots of terrain for both the defense and offence. I will give it a try in H2H in a few weeks’ time and hopefully will have some good experience to report.

Aye be good to hear how you get on H2H. It's not be playtested in that regard and I think the Germans (as in RL) will have a tough time so I'd suggest giving the less experienced person the Soviets. Good luck with it :)

Hmm i dont have to work today...so i am kinda tempted to try it. But then there' s that Otto Carius scenario as well and i dont have time to play through two 120+ turn scenarios on a single day, hmmm...life is full of difficult decisions!

If all goes well with Carius you can finish it pretty quick.

If it all goes really badly with Carius you can finish it even quicker! ;)

Hi Blueonblackk83

Thanks for that - glad you enjoy em :)

I'm at work just now but off the top of my head I use in CMRT Kieme's buildings (plus Tankalots barns); Kieme's terrain; Aris' tanks; Aris' special effects (with some of Vein's effects mixed in); JuJu's bridges and fences; Vein's Germans and Russians; faces are a mix of Aris and Mord's. Most of the stuff you can grab at the repository or GreenAsJades Combat Mission Mods Warehouse.

Cheery!

If all goes well with Carius you can finish it pretty quick.

If it all goes really badly with Carius you can finish it even quicker! ;)

I am a slow player, i watch every turn probably 20 times from 20 different angles, and if something cool happens, i cant spend up to half an hour just reviewing that particular scene again and again and again :D.

I am 12 turns in now and - so far - there have only been minor setbacks. 1 Tiger lost for 9 T-34s and 2 Stalin tanks. Those Stalin tanks are really tough nuts to crack. At first i tried sniping them, trusting in the superior marksmanship of my elite crews, but although my guys scored hits quickly, it took about 5-7 hits to disable each of the 2 dead Stalins. Right now the remaining Stalins are pushing towards the center of the map and i am racing them to arrive first because i think my best chance to kill them without loosing too many Tigers is by setting up an ambush. But it is a risky plan - i am using the village that runs from SW to SE (what is it called again? Milankova?) as concealment for one of my Tiger groups as Avenue of Approach although i dont know if i got all of the T-34 that were in the village. There could be a lone survivor who could try to get the Hero of the Soviet Union medal! Currently the scenario is very exciting, i cant wait to see if my plan to ambush the Stalins works. Let' s see what happens next, i will report back then.

Also - on a side note - i think there might be a little error in the Briefing, or maybe a misunderstanding on my part. You are talking about a "rollbahn". What do you mean by that? I associate the term "Rollbahn" with an airport.

looks like another classic.

George provided a lot of info on the German forces. I have some on the Russian forces, mostly from Dunn's "Soviet Blitzkrieg".

The 3rd Guard Mechanized Corps was built around 3 mechanized brigades (the 7th, 8th and 9th Guard mechanized brigades), each with 3 motorized infantry battalions and an attached tank regiment (respectively the 42nd, 43rd and 44th Guard Tank regiments). The Corps also had an attached tank brigade (35th Guard tank ) with 2 tank battalions (I/35 and II/35) as well as 2 SPG regiments (1510th and 1823 rd) and various other support units, engineers, AA and AT guns. In total, 16,090 men, 240 tanks, 42 SPGs, 99 other AFVs, 252 guns/mortars, 18 37mm AA guns and 1223 trucks. The "Mechanized Corps" designation is a bit of a misnomer since it was really the equivalent of a powerful armoured division.

No mention on the types of AFVs, but based on various sources, the 240 tanks would be primarily T-34/85s and the 42 SPGs would be primarily SU-76s. There is also a discrepancy on the designation of the attached tank regiments, a 1943 OOB lists them as the 42nd, 43rd and 44th while a 1945 OOB lists them as the 43rd, 44th and 45th.

The Corps was part of Gen. Oslikovskiy's Horse-Mechanized Group which also included the 3rd Guard Cavalry Corps. It was tasked with initially bypassing and encircling Vitebsk and then racing deep behind German lines. It did this very well breaching/bypassing many german defensive lines over a 10 day period.

On july 2nd, elements of the 8th mech. appeared across the Usha river from Molodechno. The rest of the Corps arrived over the next two days. On july 4th, the 35th tank and 7th mech brigades attacked across the river and captured Molodechno from the German defenders which included elements of the 5th Panzer.

At that point, the Russians were about 15 km east of where the scenario takes place.

Edited by Sgt Joch

This is my kind of scenario, huge map with lots of details, lots of units and long time to play.

I havent started yet, just spend an hour or so to study the map (that map is a piece of art, congrats on it)

making some observations on how to deploy my troops.

One question : I have 3 x 6 Wespe, just wondered if it should be 2 x 6 Wespe and 1 x 6 Hummel as in

the normal TOE.

Just started this one last night. It's looking really good so far!

Although, I was really foolhardy with my recon on the left flank (the ones that have scout teams in the halftracks). Instead of scouting the area before moving forward, I just sent the guys speeding forward over the hill at full speed...right into the loving arms of two AT guns.

:( One HT and its dismounts made it, while the other two were lost with all hands. (Sigh) I really, really need to work on scouting with dismounts.

BTW George, one thing about the scenario's title: if the player uses the default name when saving a game in progress, the game will just keep overwriting the same file, even though the screen says 005, 006, etc. This is because you have a period in the scenario's title. So, instead of seeing the scenario's full name in my save folder, I just see one file called Der Ring Der 5

Just a thought for the future. :)

This is my kind of scenario, huge map with lots of details, lots of units and long time to play.

I havent started yet, just spend an hour or so to study the map (that map is a piece of art, congrats on it)

making some observations on how to deploy my troops.

One question : I have 3 x 6 Wespe, just wondered if it should be 2 x 6 Wespe and 1 x 6 Hummel as in

the normal TOE.

cool - I enjoy playing complicated sweeping scenarios too :)

Re the comment about arty - that's how the modules come in CM no mix of arty type. It was easier to just note is as X times 105mm tubes etc.

BTW George, one thing about the scenario's title: if the player uses the default name when saving a game in progress, the game will just keep overwriting the same file, even though the screen says 005, 006, etc. This is because you have a period in the scenario's title. So, instead of seeing the scenario's full name in my save folder, I just see one file called Der Ring Der 5

Just a thought for the future. :)

Noted :)

I'll amend the name and I plan on sprucing up the briefing etc based on the info i got from Sgt Joch (thanks very much for that by the way Joch). Wee job so should not take too long...

Noted :)

I'll amend the name and I plan on sprucing up the briefing etc based on the info i got from Sgt Joch (thanks very much for that by the way Joch). Wee job so should not take too long...

Thanks! I'm having a good time with this mission so far, BTW. 

Thanks Lille Fiskerby :) Really pleased you are enjoying it and thanks for the kudos.

I've an hour and half left on the clock on my own recent playthrough. I'm doing better this time as I'm taking my time. I've also attacked down a different avenue (not without it's surprises) and I was caught out by my own AI Plan!

I rediscovered this German armoured tactics document - many of the 'top tips' contained in it suddenly make sense on this map.

http://www.feldgrau.com/pnzfwd.html

Decided to form 2 groups : one with the Panther Bn. + one PzG. Coy 

and the second group with the Pz. IV. Bn. and the tigers + one PzG. Coy

and holding one PzG. Coy in reserve.

Panthergroup one the left, Pz. IV.+Tigers group in the center and reserve Coy. on the right flank

Dont know how to hide the spoiler so I do it the old way

SPOILER

Got 4 Pz. IV. KO'ed in front of the center heavy bridge by Zis 3 but managed to keep their heads down till I got

the Coy mortar in position to fire direct on the AT guns, and those 251/9 also helped to destroy the AT guns.

On the left the Pantergroup also came under AT fire but managed to destroy 4 guns without losing a single

Panther the frontal armor of the Panther is much better than on the Pz. IV.

Nothing much happening on the right until crossing the river.