New Scenario - Der Ring der 5. Panzer-Division

Late to the party but the was well worth the long fight. Started before Christmas and just managed to finish this beast. A good tough fight that found the right balance between being a challenge but not stupidly hard.

++++Spoilers++++

My tanks made mince meat of the Soviets at range for minimal loss (though surprisingly the Tigers didn't do the heavy lifting). My real problem in this mission was the limited infantry under my command. You go through them quick clearing those villages and the odd half track brewing up to a hidden AT Gun.

I was tempted to ceasefire around Phase Line 2 on account of my infantry losses and looking down the barrel of another two villages to clear but pressed forward with my tanks. A few were knocked out as you'd expect without close infantry support, but managed to beat the Soviets into a surrender before I myself clicked on the ceasefire button.

Soviets: 417 KIA, 192 WIA, 12 MIA, 34 Tanks, 5 Armored, 21 Other Vehicles

Germans: 77 KIA, 90 WIA, 0 MIA, 9 Tanks, 5 Armored, 1 Other Vehicle.

German Total Victory

Video about halfway through of one my assaults.

Recommended. Cheers George MC.

Hi @Ithikial_AU

Cheers for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. Your video is well cool - really enjoyed watching the action. Great to see a mounted attack with a heap of overwatch. Looks like you ae better at that than me. My guys jump out of their SPW usually only to be mown down cos I failed to totally suppress the bad guys!

By this stage in the fighting 5th panzer was pretty much a spent force. Most of the grenadier battalions were down to little more than reinforced company strength, especially the SPW units. In RL this attack ground to halt along the line Osinowka/Bialkoszcyna in part due to running out of oomph and men. So the scenario I hope, and it sounds like it did, recreates that last gasp 'do or die' action. Good effort on securing a Total Victory.

Thanks again for the feedback and fine words of praise. really appreciated ta :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Couple questions on this one:

Has a revised version ever been published or are we still on version 1?

Regarding play balance, I see in the first post there was a suggestion that this would be "a tough one" as the Germans.  Is there any consensus on that?  Do Soviets appear to have the advantage?

Hi @Migo441

Re your comments - this is a historical scenario so the forces are not balanced. It was never designed for competitive H2H play but if you are interested in fighting a historical event H2H without to much regard for the outcome ie. who wins then it might be worth taking for a spin.

In RL the German attack was ground day as they fought through various PAK fronts and met increased resistance from the Soviets as they counterattacked with armour and more PAK. Eventually the German attack ran out of steam. Against the AI this is winnable although it's a tough slog. Against a  wily human opponent it will be even tougher.

The terrain is to the Soviets advantage but the Germans do have a great many Panthers and Tigers and arty support. But as I say it's not "balanced" re force etc as what most H2H players seem to like.

There is a revised version but based on my own playthroughs - makes it even tougher! Improved AI plan for the Soviets and some better positioning of assets.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9utcncif8j73y8v/AADD-i2_aRAkij-35ovFMGR1a?dl=0

Hope you give it a shot as it's one of my favourites and in my personal top 5. :)

Cheery!

George

Edited by George MC

• 2 years later...

Only 3 years later. This scenario is easily worth the necro. My son and I are playing now. Perhaps 20-25 min in. He gets the Pz IVs and a company, I get the Panthers and a company while the Tigers and reduced strength (two platoon) company make up the reserve after taking the initial farm across the bridge. It's even further reduced as a heavy mortar barrage landed just as congestion reared it's ugly head at the farm just past the initial heavy bridge. Awesome. The reduced state of the grenadiers makes it feel so believable. I love this scenario. I have been playing CM since the CMBB Demo. This is the most fun I have ever had. Thank you for making it.

4 hours ago, Attilaforfun said:

Only 3 years later. This scenario is easily worth the necro. My son and I are playing now. Perhaps 20-25 min in. He gets the Pz IVs and a company, I get the Panthers and a company . I love this scenario. I have been playing CM since the CMBB Demo. This is the most fun I have ever had. Thank you for making it.

Hi @Attilaforfun

thanks for the feedback. Good to see this being played. The map for this was a monster so pleased to see it still seeing action. 

Like the coop playstyle. Does sound like you are both doing well though given where you are and that amount of time into it. 

Thanks for playing this and a huge thanks for taking the time to post your feedback  it’s much appreciated ta  

Good luck to you and your son for the next phase of your attack  

cheery!

• 5 months later...
On 11/16/2016 at 10:47 AM, George MC said:

Hi @Migo441

Re your comments - this is a historical scenario so the forces are not balanced. It was never designed for competitive H2H play but if you are interested in fighting a historical event H2H without to much regard for the outcome ie. who wins then it might be worth taking for a spin.

In RL the German attack was ground day as they fought through various PAK fronts and met increased resistance from the Soviets as they counterattacked with armour and more PAK. Eventually the German attack ran out of steam. Against the AI this is winnable although it's a tough slog. Against a  wily human opponent it will be even tougher.

The terrain is to the Soviets advantage but the Germans do have a great many Panthers and Tigers and arty support. But as I say it's not "balanced" re force etc as what most H2H players seem to like.

There is a revised version but based on my own playthroughs - makes it even tougher! Improved AI plan for the Soviets and some better positioning of assets.

Hope you give it a shot as it's one of my favourites and in my personal top 5. :)

Cheery!

George

Updated dropbox link to beta v2 - I would appreciate any feedback on this thanks.

Cheery!

• 1 month later...

Hi George...  One of the reasons I just bought a super computer was to play your huge scenario.  However, when I used the above link to d/l I got a BETA version 2 dated 7/19/2015, and I already have a version dated 2016(!).  

Do you need to update the date?

Hhmm... I don't know how you got a version dated 2016 but the only version (original) I have on my HD is Beta version 2 dated 2015. So regardless of dates its  'CMRT Der Ring Der 5 Panzer Division_v2 BETA' you want. I never did anything else to this version.

Now hopefully with your new PC you can enjoy this - combat recce and tank vs tank duels at 1.5km :)

Edited by George MC

18 hours ago, George MC said:

'CMRT Der Ring Der 5 Panzer Division_v2 BETA' you want. I never did anything else to this version.

I swear I already had a CMRT Der Ring Der 5 Panzer Division_v2 BETA' dated 11/16/2016.  I renamed it adding the suffix "old" so that I could put your new v2 BETA in the same scenario folder.  But, according to my system this new v2 BETA is dated 7/19/2015.  

I may have discovered time travel. 

Send money for the secret...

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

I swear I already had a CMRT Der Ring Der 5 Panzer Division_v2 BETA' dated 11/16/2016.  I renamed it adding the suffix "old" so that I could put your new v2 BETA in the same scenario folder.  But, according to my system this new v2 BETA is dated 7/19/2015.  

I may have discovered time travel. 

Send money for the secret...

Hhmm... not sure but if you have you are on a winner! :)