Windows 10 - CM Compatibility?

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't need to reactivate any of my CM titles.

I'm sticking with windows7. It works fine, and I don't like the smart phone look for PC in windows10. I think it another case of trying to fix something that is not broken. To date windows 7 is the best operating system i have used, but eventually we will all have to get windows10 since I believe it is to be their last op system for some time.

"fix something that is not broken" is the worst excuse to stop progress I have ever heard. That attitude would have us languishing on XP forever. Meanwhile, moderate UI changes punish people who are incapable of adapting to even minor change, which provides much amusement.

Win10 is progress?

If you are serious about gaming and performance on your PC, Win 7 64-bit is the system to have at the moment. Just like XP was before the updates stopped and Win 7 finally matured in its 64 bit form.

Newer is not always better. Vista was a trainwreck, 8 was a trainwreck and 10 is just rehashed 8. Those systems are fine if you treat your PC as a smartphone and use it to organize your photos, browse Facebook and utilize all those useless apps. If you are running an overclocked gaming beast, where you require total control with simple interfaces, they are guano.

I have benchmarked CMBN on Win7, Win8, and Win10.  Barkman's Corner.  Win7 - 26 fps, win8.1 - 32 fps, and Win 10 - 34.

I7, nVidia 950 laptop for all three.  Every time I do something to this computer, I use that scenario to test the impact on CMBN.  Win8.1 and Win10 are much better gaming rigs for mid to high-end systems from my experience.

And the worst operating system of all time.... Drum roll... Windows Millennium. It came with a PC got in 2000. Blue screens enough I actually smashed a keyboard. The thing is MS knew it was a lemon before they released. I know this because my cousin beta tested it, and the feedback back from the testers was it was crap! Once I changed to XP it was like night and day.

For what it's worth my same cousin beta tested windows 10, and he thinks it is very good. It probably isn't a bad op system, but my attitude is if my windows 7 64bit is not broken, and i am satisfied why change at the moment? I'll get it in another 5-8 years when i need to upgrade my current pc, which is only a year old. Sooner or later we will all be 10 my cousin says as they are planning to keep it for some time.

Win10 is progress?

If you are serious about gaming and performance on your PC, Win 7 64-bit is the system to have at the moment. Just like XP was before the updates stopped and Win 7 finally matured in its 64 bit form.

Newer is not always better. Vista was a trainwreck, 8 was a trainwreck and 10 is just rehashed 8. Those systems are fine if you treat your PC as a smartphone and use it to organize your photos, browse Facebook and utilize all those useless apps. If you are running an overclocked gaming beast, where you require total control with simple interfaces, they are guano.

Well, that just isn't true though. Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 all have resource use improvements that will result in increased performance over Windows 7, although the difference will be minor.

I don't necessarily think people should jump into week 1 on this thing, but 6 months down the road and you haven't used your free win10 upgrade? Your loss.

The problem with Win7 is it still has vestiges of all the old operating systems as its foundation.  Win 8 stripped that mostly away.  Win8 sucked, But within five minutes of installing Win8.1, I had configured it to look and act almost exactly like Win7.  Win10 is a good OS so far and is a good combination of traditional Win desktop and newer UI capabilities.

Win10 is progress?

I am curious what bench-marking you have done for 8.1 and 10.  If you think 10 is rehashed 8, I am not you have even used 10.  I can understand throwing some shade at win8.  I find it a OK system, but the popular pastime is beating it up.

My upgrade to Windows 10 Pro ate my CMBN. The shortcuts and whatnot were all there, as were the files but all of their icons and graphics were gone (like, the customized BF ones.) 

When I tried to launch them, I got an error that the application was not compatible with Windows 10 and that I should contact the manufacturer. I checked out the registry and any reference to the game or battlefront was gone.

I'm going to try to reinstall, but I'm pretty sure I am out of activations.

I am curious what bench-marking you have done for 8.1 and 10.  If you think 10 is rehashed 8, I am not you have even used 10.  I can understand throwing some shade at win8.  I find it a OK system, but the popular pastime is beating it up.

The benchmark is the risk of half of my extensive Steam library becoming useless with anything above 7 and potential problems with new releases. 7 is  proven, stable, completely compatibility issue free, still has great driver support, barebones with no extra "convenience" crap and comes in 64-bit. Why rock the boat for a dedicated gaming desktop? When they switch the lights off for driver support, then it'll be time to look for a new OS platform, same as with previous gamers' choice - XP. 

I am just pointing out you have no experience with win10, or maybe even win8.  You didn't ask a question, you made a statement.  Win8.1 and win10 give some performance enhancements on some systems...over win7.  Almost all the UI enhancements can be turned off or hidden.  I can understand why you would have the "not broken, don't fix it" philosophy.  But not sure you really understand win8 or win10.

Understand win8 and 10? What is that supposed to mean with regards to point and click OSes? I've used both for about a week each before rolling back to 7 pro. Did did not notice any performance enhacements whatsoever, but they broke my Arma 3 and entire Arkham series (probably more games from Steam library that i didn't bother reinstalling). Arma 3 was salvagable with hours spent on the Internet looking for tweaks, but Arkham was pretty finite at the time.

My PC is fast enough where the only worries area stability and compatibility. Even if OS is marginally faster, it wouldn't make a lick of difference with i5 chugging at 5GHz, supported by gtx970. I can have 10 firefox windows open with utube, have 10 more office docs open, Combat Mission alt-tabbed and still run Witcher 3 on top of that at 45-60 fps maxed out.

Game optimization is clearly better on 7 at the moment. Except Combat Mission of course, which is "optimized" for communism and runs rougher than a 20-year-old Lada.

Win10 is progress?

If you are "serious about gaming and performance", Windows 10 will be the OS to have as soon as DX12 titles start coming out, because the new API will not be available on earlier versions of the OS.  One of the reasons is that it is core to WDDM 2.0, the new rendering engine in Windows 10 which is offering significant improvements to rendering speeds in DX10/11 games played in fullscreen borderless mode ie using desktop composition.

To be honest, no-one who is serious about performance or gaming would think that UI changes preclude improvements to the kernel, which is what your post seems to suggest.  TheWood1's stats in this thread would appear to support the reported benefits to gamers in upgrading.

As the owner of a 2500k clocked at 4.7 on air, and an overclocked GTX 980, I struggle to think of any settings in Windows 7 that were relevant to the overclocks.

Edited by Jock Tamson

Upgraded from win 7 to win 10 yesterday and everything went smoothly.

CMBN and FI run fine.

Only had to download and install the latestet Nvidia Geforce drivers myself.

Given that the upgrade was free, I won't lodge a complaint against Microsoft ;-)

Just an FYI for you guys, some of you might experience a licensing problem where you are locked out and nothing you try works.  This appears to happen to people who have made some hardware changes since the last Windows upgrade.  Out security software (DRM) works by cumulatively scoring changes.  A little of this or that isn't an issue, but a lot of this and that looks the same as a new computer.  Which looks a lot like pirating :)  This can be cleared up very easily by filing a support ticket on our helpdesk.

Steve

Thanks for that Steve. I've had a license issue or two in the past and you guys have always been awesome about resolving it.

My upgrade got put on hold by a cranky toddler but based off what a few of you have said in here I'm gonna take the plunge this weekend.

Excellent to hear! I mean about our stunning customer service, not the cranky toddler thing ;)

There's more evidence coming in that Windows 10 presents problems only for those who have also changed a significant bit of hardware. When that happens sometimes a simple end user relicense works, in extreme cases we have to send out a small tool to nuke the licensing info. Either way, it's not a big deal to fix.

Steve

I did the update to Win 10 with no issue with licensing, however i did run into some pretty critical issues related to mouse and keyboard drivers, which i assume will be updated by MS and Logitech. My issue was that the game kept scrolling up endlessly to max height, in all 5 titles (CMSF, BN, FI, RT, and BS). After finding no reference for the issue anywhere, i just worked my way through anything i could think of which would send that type of command and finally found it.

thanks.

Yes, I upgraded from Windows 7 to10, no  CM issues because of Windows 10, and I own all games and modules

Indeed I didn't run into any problems at all so far. All I needed to do manually after the upgrade was to reinstall the Geforce driver.

Edited by Scipio

I did the update to Win 10 with no issue with licensing, however i did run into some pretty critical issues related to mouse and keyboard drivers, which i assume will be updated by MS and Logitech. My issue was that the game kept scrolling up endlessly to max height, in all 5 titles (CMSF, BN, FI, RT, and BS). After finding no reference for the issue anywhere, i just worked my way through anything i could think of which would send that type of command and finally found it.

thanks.

As a Logitech user, I'm curious as to what it was that was the culprit... I've a G15 keyboard and a G700 mouse, with the v8.45.88 "Logitech Gaming Software" as driver/configuration...