Windows 10 - CM Compatibility?

Hi all,

With the impending release of Windows 10, I wanted to ensure that the CM franchise from Shock Force to Black sea will be compatible when upgrading to Windows 10. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thank you in advance.

-Chris

This is a really good question. I am curious about this as well, mainly because (so I have been told) Direct X 12 will be released with Windows 10. I have heard that Direct X 12 is going to be pretty awesome and worth the upgrade because it will apparently drastically improve performance in many games (again so I have been told) I guess I would add a question to this which is, will Direct X 12 offer performance improvements to Combat Mission Black Sea and other Combat Mission titles?

I'm not expecting any compatibility problems with Windows 10 in-and-of-itself. The video drivers MIGHT be another issue though. Sometimes the video chip driver developers drop the ball a bit with new versions of Windows (concentrating on DirectX 12 rendering, etc.) and we MIGHT see some video (or sound) issues with the CM series under Windows 10. We probably won't know about this until Windows 10 is actually released since there is the possibility of last minute driver inclusions.

The CMx2 series utilizes the OpenGL graphics API. DirectX 12 will not change anything when it comes to CM since it doesn't utilize that graphics API. Improvements in speed will only come from the video driver developers and I'm not expecting any improvements on OpenGL 1.x/2.x rendering speed with Windows 10.

Something to be a bit more wary of however is the copy-protection system. From my previous post about Windows 10 compatibility in the CMRT forum:

If you perform an 'in-place upgrade' from Windows 7 or 8/8.1 to Windows 10, then you MIGHT run into some issues. The copy-protection system may detect that the OS is not the same as when it was activated and give you an error ('Error: errorcode' or something to that effect) when you attempt to start the game (with the game not launching). This may not happen for everyone, but it is a very likely scenario for many of us. If that DOES happen, then you will need to contact the Helpdesk and request the 'gsClean' utility for your game/modules. Before doing so, you will want to try out EVERY ONE OF YOUR BATTLEFRONT GAMES to check to see if any of them have the error from the copy-protection system. I'd suggest rebooting your machine a few times and with each reboot attempt to launch all of your games (one at a time, of course) to see if they launch properly or give errors. If you make significant changes to your system, then you will likely need the gsClean utilities for all of your games.

Each game and its modules will have a different version of gsClean for it, so you will want to be specific with your request to the Helpdesk for the gsClean utilities.

For eLicense protected games (CMSF, CMA, etc.) you will want to UNLICENSE the game(s) and all of its modules BEFORE upgrading to Windows 10. Try to play the games to make sure that they have been unlicensed; you should get a dialog box requesting to activate the game/module if you've been succesful. Once you have fully finished the upgrade then you should be able to activate the game/modules. However if you plan on installing any newer drivers or making other changes to your computer you may want to hold off activation until you are done with these changes (this goes for both eLicense protected games and the newer copy-protection system).

Edited by Schrullenhaft

I might be wrong, but didn't BF removed the 'Unlicense' Option already in CMSF?

Not to my knowledge. I assume this would require a patch beyond 1.32 to actually 'remove' this function. CMSF is an eLicense protected game and thus has the 'unlicense' feature that the current copy-protection system used by CMBN and newer games lacks. Unfortunately unlicensing CMSF with multiple modules is bit of a pain. The base game often can't be unlicensed after a module is installed (however a module will activate the base game, once that module is installed). Each module requires a separate unlicensing (they don't all unlicense at the same time) and it is almost impossible to confirm that the module has been actually been unlicensed (beyond the possible confirmation provided at the time of unlicensing) if you have more than one module. It is important to unlicense each module in order to preserve its activation, otherwise you may get an error message attempting to activate the game after upgrading Windows (requiring you to contact the Helpdesk to get a 'reset' to your license key to allow for another activation).

Schrully is, of course, totally correct. Not that I expected any thing other than that ;)

We have had a few customers run into problems with Windows 10 so far. However, in each case the next beta release fixed the problem. Which is to say, so far, any compatibility issues with Windows 10 have been due to development hiccups with Windows and not with our games. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing what the final state of Windows 10 will be.

Steve

Unfortunately we have no way of knowing what the final state of Windows 10 will be.

Steve

That's easy. More b*** **** where I have to relearn a dozen things that I have been doing since 1994 because it's now "easier" and improved", when in reality some genius at Microsoft has to validate his overpaid worthless position by pushing moronic changes that always end up making my computing life ten times harder. How's that for a prediction?

When they force updated 8.1 on me, I went to empty my recycle bin one day and it took me ten minutes to figure out where the hell they hid the empty button.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

That's the thing, instead of designing a Windows for touch screens and one for PCs, they just decided that normal computer users should have the entire last 20+ years of their Windows experience wiped clean.

My favorite idiotic change so far is how they had it where you could divide a folder and have your files lined up alphabetically from A-Z, each letter having it's own heading and separation bar. Very easy to sort through my hundreds of MP3 albums. If I was looking for Black Sabbath I'd scroll down to the B header and scan real quick and find it. So, what did they do? The mental giants decided that A-Z was too easy...so they "improved" it. Now they jam everything from A-H under one header, then I-P under a header etc.  Now if I am looking for a band that starts with F I have to sift through A,B,C,D, and E before I can even start looking. It's so brilliant they could be bureaucrats.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

@all who have problems with Windows 8, try this:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Classicshell makes Win 8 look like Win 7.

Now they jam everything from A-H under one header, then I-P under a header etc.  Now if I am looking for a band that starts with F I have to sift through A,B,C,D, and E before I can even start looking. It's so brilliant they could be bureaucrats.

I am not on a Windows 8 machine right now, but IIRC you can change that. Try rightclick->view->details and then, at the top of the window, click on "name" to sort your data by ABC.

That's easy. More b*** **** where I have to relearn a dozen things that I have been doing since 1994 because it's now "easier" and improved", when in reality some genius at Microsoft has to validate his overpaid worthless position by pushing moronic changes that always end up making my computing life ten times harder. How's that for a prediction?

When they force updated 8.1 on me, I went to empty my recycle bin one day and it took me ten minutes to figure out where the hell they hid the empty button.

Mord.

Torturing people who learn how to use their computers through rote memorization is half the fun of being in software development, and people like that certainly deserve to be tortured, so kudos to Microsoft.

Edited by SgtHatred

Torturing people who learn how to use their computers through rote memorization is half the fun of being in software development, and people like that certainly deserve to be tortured, so kudos to Microsoft.

beer up the nose, a waste of good beer, but the laugh was worth it.

True believers use Linux and interact with their computer via the command line only. Even ASCII art is already apostasy!

ISLAMTUX.gif

There is no OS but Linux and Tux is it' s prophet!

Edited by agusto

• 1 month later...

I'm sticking with windows7. It works fine, and I don't like the smart phone look for PC in windows10. I think it another case of trying to fix something that is not broken. To date windows 7 is the best operating system i have used, but eventually we will all have to get windows10 since I believe it is to be their last op system for some time.

Edited by Vinnart