XO and Headquarters suport troops. what are they good for?

Particularly XO  what are they good for? Extra mouths to feed. they have few guns. In recent game XO ( not sure if BS or BN ) wasnt even a officer icon, so he could get lost in middle of the troops real easy . Which was a pain.

Whats best way to use em ? Advice appreciated Im new to best use of C2 in game.

Other than message-bearing:

• the XO unit contains your XO, who can take over C3 functions from the formation commander if he becomes a casualty. This function is limited to Sight and Voice ranges, and isn't active over radio comms or at "distant sight" level of contact.

• XO and HQ support units often have arty call privileges in formations where the standard squad does not.

• HQ support units often have radios where the standard squad does not, and can help maintain C3 links to indirect fire support assets on-map.

Edited by womble

• the XO unit contains your XO, who can take over C3 functions from the formation commander if he becomes a casualty. This function is limited to Sight and Voice ranges, and isn't active over radio comms or at "distant sight" level of contact. 

Womble, are you sure about the radio part?  I thought if you got the XO a radio the C3 chain was re-established.  Some of us talked about it earlier on the below thread:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/118325-xo-takes-over-from-kia-co/

anti tank teams

In the WWII titles and Shock Force I tend to use the XO as a medic for buddy aid if the parent platoon of the casualty needs to keep moving and can't stop for casualties.  In Black Sea I have been experimenting with having the XO with the recon / screening force.  Of course if the CO goes down the XO is recalled to the TOC ASAP. 

Womble, are you sure about the radio part?  I thought if you got the XO a radio the C3 chain was re-established.  Some of us talked about it earlier on the below thread:

Actually, you're more right than that... :) I got a bit confused over superior COs taking the C3 position of absent lower-in-the-chain HQs in their tree... Yes, the XO can exert full C3 effects as if he was the 'Actual', if he has the equipment.

Check out post #5 on this thread for one particularly good use of your XO.  The thread itself is chockful of really good info.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/119474-c2-information-sharing/

Other than message-bearing:

• XO and HQ support units often have arty call privileges in formations where the standard squad does not.

• HQ support units often have radios where the standard squad does not, and can help maintain C3 links to indirect fire support assets on-map.

Ahh, so that' s what the XO is good for. I always thought XO stands for eXpendable Officer and so i used them for detecting minefields or drawing enemy fire.

Edited by agusto