Question about the various graphics in a particular bmp file

Not sure exactly what you mean.

But assume you mean the colors are slightly altered for 2 or more different versions of a uniform and the modder has 01 02 or 03 at the end of the file name.

Variety is the spice of life!

Was every soldier's uniform faded exactly the same?

Was every soldier's uniform from the same dye lot at the same textile mill?

Edit: If you want to have another phone chat, give me a ring this weekend to go over any questions you have.

I will help you to the best of my ability sir! 

Edited by kohlenklau

I couldn't help notice all the different uniform color combinations in a given file.  Why so many.  Wouldn't just one color be sufficient?  

NO! We had that in CMX1 and it sucked. Everything was cloned and identical; one helmet, one uniform, no variety whatsoever. Why would you even think having options is a problem? YOU are a madman!

Seriously though, if you wanted clones in your game, just take your favorite uniform and helmet and copy their bmps, paste and rename them until you have enough to overwrite the stock bmps.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

No, no, no.  I like variety too.  I'm just playing around trying to learn and thought I'd make every soldier have the same uniform color and all with the shoulder and helmet patch but couldn't so thought I ask the question hoping to get a discussion going in an effort to learn what I'm doing wrong and how to do what I am trying to do.   

I thought by deleting all the files except for the one color uniform I wanted and the one division patched helmet wanted  I would do this but I'm still getting different uniform colors with some soldiers with patches and some not.   I don't see 

how this is possible and is the reason for this question.  

Mord, you said " and rename them until you have enough to overwrite the stock bmps."  Not sure what you mean " until you have enough to overwrite the stock bmps.  I assume I only need one helmet and one uniform file to overwrite the 

stock bmps.  No?  

Say a certain uniform has 5 files with the same name just the different numbers at the end. Note that the first one actual has no number, then the 2nd one says 2 at the end of the file name and on and on...

Every single file has to be your same uniform image and just renamed and then the game should have no choice but to show ONLY that same image of the exact uniform that you want.

If you screw up and type a name wrong then the game gets a chance to recall the original from the stock brz folder.

Same with helmets. Same with faces. 

Yep, what Koh said. You always wanna make sure your file is named correctly, say you have 8 uniform files and on number 6 you screw up and put a space in the name where there isn't supposed to be one, the game will stop loading that mod from number 5 onward, basically it's like breaking a chain.

Also, note, you can have more files than the stock game. Ex: the stock graphics provide slots for say 5 uniforms, your mod could have 10 uniforms or 15, you just keep naming the extra file sequentially, "uniform 6, 7, 8, etc". However skip a number and it's the same as above. It's actually super easy once you grasp the concept.

Oh, and here's something MJ did, you might like these.

http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods?author_id=327&game_type=6

Mord.

Thanks Mord and a special thanks Kohlenklau for allowing me to talk to you by phone.  That greatly helped and I was able to get all my troopers in the same extra color uniform and exact helmet!!!!!  That is so cool being able to do

that.  Only problem is it's more fun messing around with the mods than playing the game.  :-))  Thanks so much again.  I really really appreciate it.    

Modding can become a mental illness...both creating them and screwing around loading stuff other people make. I call it the game within the game, though with CM there are many games within the game, just depends on what flavor you prefer. I can remember spending all day switching out mods trying to get everything looking juuuust right, promising myself I'll start a scenario after one more look...and then four hours later it's time to sleep and I still hadn't fired up a battle. LOL. Did that probably a hundred times with CMBO.

Mord.

LOL yeah I kinda do that " just a couple more mods " thing myself.  Got to admit it's a hoot seeing all those new uniforms or vehicles, etc. It's like I can't rest or play a game until everything is just right or which is probably more like it,  a kid in a candy store   :-))

• 3 weeks later...

You could very well be right Phil.  What program would I need to get started?  I wouldn't want to invest a lot in case I decided it wasn't my cup of tea but might like to mess around a bit to see.   What do you suggest and also easy.  :-))